Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by eclipserox »

twilight1909-I actually think Edward should have been angry with Bella for cheating on him with Jacob. But, I see what you're saying, he handled that situation without acting jealous or controlling at all. For me, the context is important. When Edward was trying to stop Bella from visiting Jacob, in my opinion he was not justified because she has a right to have male friends. Whereas acting jealous and/or angry after Bella cheated on him would have been justified.

When I use the term controlling I don't mean to insinuate abusive and I realize that Bella snuck out and eventually Edward gave in. But, the fact that he took drastic measures-taking her car apart and having Alice "kidnap" her-to prevent her from seeing he friend shows that he tried to control her, even though he was not successful and eventually gave in. I don't think Edward is a bad guy. I like him. But, I didn't like how controlling and jealous he acted at times.
MoonBeam09
Settled in Forks

Post by MoonBeam09 »

as much as i would probably hate it in real life, i sort of found it sexy how extreme he got in the books about looking after her.... but again, the reason he doesn't over react to jacob is a few things... number one being HE HAS GROWN UP and also, he KNOWS Jacob hasn't imprinted on Bella... thus there is someone else out there. Edward knows that he and Bella are basically "imprinted" on each other, and Jacob will eventually have someone else.
twilight1909
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by twilight1909 »

eclipserox wrote:twilight1909-I actually think Edward should have been angry with Bella for cheating on him with Jacob. But, I see what you're saying, he handled that situation without acting jealous or controlling at all. For me, the context is important. When Edward was trying to stop Bella from visiting Jacob, in my opinion he was not justified because she has a right to have male friends. Whereas acting jealous and/or angry after Bella cheated on him would have been justified.
Trust me I agree that Edward should have been angry with Bella for that. I wanted him to be. If Bella just HAD to have her make-out moment with Jacob when she realizes her feelings for him, then why couldn't it have at least been before Edward proposed to her? I'm angry at SM for that. And I was definitely more angry about it than Edward was. I've made my thoughts on the cheating pretty clear, so I'll leave it at that.
I think his reaction does deserve recognition in the "controlling" category. He knew it was going to happen, and he still walked away from it. Btw Jacob is WAY more outright about his jealousy than Edward is. Edward knows how to handle that and masks it extremely well until chapter 22. Even then, he handles it well.
"It's an uncomfortable truce, isn't it?"
Jacob's whisper was suddenly smug. "I knew you were just as crazy jealous as I am."

!!! Edward did not stop Bella from going to La Push because she can't have male friends. I don't see where people get that from. Victoria and werewolves. Enough said. If you're going to call Edward controlling at least say it for the right reason...her safety. It's ALWAYS about that for him. As MoonBeam09 said, he went to great lengths to look after her.
"After I’d accepted that she was more or less safe with you — as safe as Bella ever is — it seemed best to stop driving her to extremes."
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
eclipserox

Post by eclipserox »

See, as I've said, I think trying to keep her away from La Push had more to do with Edward's jealousy than concern for Bella's safety. If it were solely about safety, he would continue to think it was too dangerous for her to be at La Push. Instead of eventually agreeing to let her go as long as could drop her off and pick her up, he would have done something along the lines of saying she could see Jacob but only if it was at her house with Edward or Alice present to protect her. This would not have been unreasonable. It's the fact that on day it's way too dangerous and he's taking her car apart to stop her from going and a few days later he's dropping her off at La Push that makes me believe Edward's behavior was motivated by jealousy.

However, I definitely agree that Jacob was more jealous than Edward ever was. I do not like Jacob. I think he acted really immature and jealous all the time. For a long time, Jacob was always making rude comments about the Cullens, while Edward tried to keep his mouth shut and not hurt Bella at all. I think the reason for Bella's graduation gift was jealousy. He gives her jewelry, which is the kind of gift a boyfriend gives, and it has a charm of a werewolf on it. He was practically marking her just to tick Edward off. Jacob loved being Bella's "space heater" and throwing it in Edward's face. And, when Jacob didn't get his way, he reacted by making really immature comments-like saying if Bella changed into a vampire she'd be as good as dead to him.
twilight1909

Post by twilight1909 »

Edward realized that Bella was not in danger at La Push after all. She proved it to him by sneaking off and coming back in one piece. He saw that Jacob kept her safe. A change of mind makes you call it jealousy? That doesn't make sense. Edward would not have backed down like he did if that was the case. He learns to trust her judgment, even though he has no reason to think that Miss Accident Prone knows what's safe.

If he saw that Bella was fine and still kept restrictions on her, like you suggested, people would really be in a tizzy about his "controlling" behavior...
eclipserox

Post by eclipserox »

Bella spent a ton of time with Jacob without getting hurt in NM before she snuck off to see him in Eclipse. If Edward realized she wasn't in danger with Jacob and that is the reason he changed his mind, I guess I don't understand why the realization came so late. This is why I think it has more to do with jealousy. I also always understood the danger with Jacob to be only if he lost his temper and couldn't control himself. Emily was usually safe around Sam, but he lost control one time and hurt her. I don't know that this danger goes away no matter how much time you spend with a werewolf without getting hurt.
twilight1909

Post by twilight1909 »

You forget Victoria. He was tracking her in NM, and she came back to find Bella in Eclipse. He didn't want Bella hanging out with his sworn enemies, but he mainly didn't want her out of his sight while a vampire was on the hunt to kill her. It's about the circumstances. Jealousy may have been a small part of it, but I don't think it was the driving force behind his actions.

To each their own though.
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

eclipserox wrote:See, as I've said, I think trying to keep her away from La Push had more to do with Edward's jealousy than concern for Bella's safety. If it were solely about safety, he would continue to think it was too dangerous for her to be at La Push. Instead of eventually agreeing to let her go as long as could drop her off and pick her up, he would have done something along the lines of saying she could see Jacob but only if it was at her house with Edward or Alice present to protect her. This would not have been unreasonable. It's the fact that on day it's way too dangerous and he's taking her car apart to stop her from going and a few days later he's dropping her off at La Push that makes me believe Edward's behavior was motivated by jealousy.

However, I definitely agree that Jacob was more jealous than Edward ever was. I do not like Jacob. I think he acted really immature and jealous all the time. For a long time, Jacob was always making rude comments about the Cullens, while Edward tried to keep his mouth shut and not hurt Bella at all. I think the reason for Bella's graduation gift was jealousy. He gives her jewelry, which is the kind of gift a boyfriend gives, and it has a charm of a werewolf on it. He was practically marking her just to tick Edward off. Jacob loved being Bella's "space heater" and throwing it in Edward's face. And, when Jacob didn't get his way, he reacted by making really immature comments-like saying if Bella changed into a vampire she'd be as good as dead to him.
You have to remember that Jacob is only 16 while Edward is 17 plus 100. So yea, Jacob going to be or act somewhat immature.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
eclipserox

Post by eclipserox »

Kachiti wrote:
eclipserox wrote:See, as I've said, I think trying to keep her away from La Push had more to do with Edward's jealousy than concern for Bella's safety. If it were solely about safety, he would continue to think it was too dangerous for her to be at La Push. Instead of eventually agreeing to let her go as long as could drop her off and pick her up, he would have done something along the lines of saying she could see Jacob but only if it was at her house with Edward or Alice present to protect her. This would not have been unreasonable. It's the fact that on day it's way too dangerous and he's taking her car apart to stop her from going and a few days later he's dropping her off at La Push that makes me believe Edward's behavior was motivated by jealousy.

I think Jacob is immature for a 16 year old lol. I'm not saying normal 16 year old guys don't get jealous or fight over girls. Some of the comments Jacob makes are really immature, though. He almost seems like a bratty little kid who doesn't get his way and says something stupid that he doesn't mean. I have middle school age cousins who act more mature than that

You have to remember that Jacob is only 16 while Edward is 17 plus 100. So yea, Jacob going to be or act somewhat immature.
Mara Jade Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Mara Jade Cullen »

Away for a couple days, so I'm catching up...
malaz wrote:hm...i don't know.
It's not really annoying to me. He never moans or whines about it all the time and it only ever brought up in like i don't know appropriate times.
Like in the honeymoon, i found it kind of endearing even though Bella was like shouting at him. Well, it is Edward at any rate. So it's not much of a surprise but to me, it just adds more to his love for bella...
navarre wrote:His attitude at the Honeymoon really ticked me off. My heart went out to Bella in that one. I mean, when she tried to tell him just how incredibly happy she was/is after the night before... he still would not let up his "I'm so disgusted with myself" mode. Yes, she was bruised, but obviously she did not realize what was happening for obvious reasons - their night together was so fantastic. If it hurt her like he thinks it did - bruises aside- then I'm sure Bella would have said so. At least I liked to think she would.
Edward's pessimism and stubborn refusal to see the positive in their first real night together made me quite angry with Edward. That boy sometimes thinks that he is the only one that could possibly be right and that Bella telling him how happy and fulfilled she was had no effect on him. grrrrrr :evil: If I were Bella that morning, I think I would have done some harm to myself in the attempt to slap some sense into him. :roll:
navarre wrote:At least his resolve caved as he realized that 1)she really turns him on and he can not resist his wife
2) he realizes that he can channel the excesses now that he knows what to expect - so...... hmmmm - YUMMO!!
I think that it was sweet that they both were so innocent. But a little more experience in flirting and relationships may have helped Bella out a little sooner. We know that her tears affect Edward deeply. Definitely would have played the "hurt/rejected" card with some tears. But he was sooo stubborn in his thoughts that he hurt her that I'm sure at first he would have purposely misconstrued that as her being physically hurt from him. :roll:
So it was too bad that she didn't have any ideas on how to get him revved up beoynd prancing around in lace and satin. I'm sure if she did, she wouldn't have had quite so many outdoor adventures. :twisted:

[quote="heart_in_hand]If there was a book that I could say I didn't really like Edward, it would be New Moon. And maybe the beginning of Eclipse. He seems to have ups and downs that make him either extremely romantic or extremely depressing. There are more romantic parts in Twilight and Breaking Dawn, so those are the books I like Edward best in. When he leaves Bella in NM, I feel sorry for both of them, but I'm annoyed with Edward. It's like SM said on her website, Edward is a bit of a know-it-all. It's irritating, because he doesn't know everything, and we have to walk along with him while he learns this for himself. And it seems slow going at first, but once he gets past the whole "I need to control Bella to keep her safe" thing he has in the beginning of Eclipse, I think he pretty much gets it, and he's not so annoying anymore.

So yeah, I do feel a little sorry for Edward, because his world has been turned upside-down when he falls in love with Bella, and of course it's going to take him some time to get adjusted to that. But some things he does makes me agree with holdingoutforjacob's sentiments. I wanted to "smack some sense into him".

On the other hand, he loves Bella more than anything, and THAT is amazing to me. His capacity to love her is just beautiful, and I think it makes up for a lot of the things he does that aren't exactly smart. Pretty sure Bella thinks so too![/quote]
I don't know that I as annoyed with Edward in NM after I understood why he did it and especially that he suffered throughout that time. I don't know if I could have forgiven him if he left her and didn't suffer as much or more than she did.
There were times in the story--especially after her jump when she heard his voice in her head yelling at her where I wanted her to tell him to shut the hell up since if he really cared he wouldn't have left her. But I definitely almost hated him the first time through the story.

I found him annoying with his control-freak behavior at the beginning of Eclipse. But he figures out that he can't really control her. That he has to give her some space and respect her a bit more than that--although I think that toward the end and then into BD he's gone waaay to the other end of the spectrum where he gives her anything she wants to keep her happy. :roll:
But I'm not really annoyed with him in that second extreme. I just feel really sorry for him and there's the nurturing part of me that just would want to put my arms around him to help alleve his pain. I hate seein him suffer or be hurt by Bella. Hate it when she kissed Jacob in Edward's mental hearing. I hate it when she sidelines him during the pregnancy. He's soooo miserable. :( Poor sweet Edward.
dazzlingdynamite wrote:I didn't like the fact that while Edward was completely obsessed with Bella, calling her 'his life now,' etc Bella could switch between Jacob and Edward in a snap. She didn't deserve either of them from my point of view because she wasn't comitted to either of them.
At the end of Eclipse I definitely felt as though she didn't deserve either of them. Of course, I think that after she kissed Jacob she felt the same way.
twilight1909 wrote:I look at it as Edward putting up a fight for Bella in the beginning of Eclipse. At the end, he accepted the situation for what it was. He's willing to sacrifice his happiness yet again if Bella chose Jacob.

Another thing. I never hear Edward get much credit for his reaction (or lack thereof) after Bella's kiss with Jacob. That deserves some points.
I would have to agree totally with both points.
twilight1909 wrote:I think the reason for Bella's graduation gift was jealousy. He gives her jewelry, which is the kind of gift a boyfriend gives, and it has a charm of a werewolf on it. He was practically marking her just to tick Edward off.
:lol: Yeah. There was a lot of times in Eclipse when I felt like they were two dogs repeatedly marking her as their territory. The funny thing was when reading throught EClipse a second time, there was that scene where Edward calls Jacob over to Charlie's house to tell him about Victoria being the one that took Bella's stuff. And Edward breathes into her hair. He WAS litterally marking her with his scent! "Cause then Jacob comes in, smells her hair and tells her she smells. :lol: :lol:
Team Edward