Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
mikkib
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by mikkib »

[
Jazz Girl wrote:Least favorite is really easy. On Isle Esme the morning after their first time together. He is so ready to hurt her that he can't believe he really didn't. I wonder if it was male ego. He just knew he'd be that much that he'd almost kill her? Whatever! Grrrrr!
I also agree with Jazz Girl that this is not one of his more stellar moments, again because he's putting his own needs before Bella's, although your comment on the subject did make me laugh!

Favorite moments are harder to pin down. SM is a character author, and she's written a marvelous character in Edward, as we all clearly agree. Every moment that is spent establishing his character, strength, morality, fears, weaknesses, and loves is a part of the whole. When the story veers away from Edward, I tend to be less interested.

Thanks for listening. -Ariadnee[/quote]

I don' t know, this seemed totally Edward to me. Annoying, yes, but him. When Bella would cry over Jake, he didn't get mad or jealous, but guilty, because he had left and done this. When anything happened he blamed himself. And, Bella didn't exactly show a normal amount of fear or need for her personal safety. She was always throwing herself into danger, slamming her hand into a rock etc.. for stupid reasons and saying it was nothing. So, to sit there all night and watch her bruise up, that would be horrible. He had hours to wallow in it before she woke up. Plus, they were all over protective of her throughout the books. We are human, we think she can take it but she went from a physically weak human to a mentally weak newborn. All the mature vampires were always babying her because of it. So, I can see why he pretty blamed himself. I assume after BD, they stopped babying her and had higher expectations of her and thus a lot of the guilt should away.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

ariadnee wrote:
Jazz Girl wrote:Least favorite is really easy. On Isle Esme the morning after their first time together. He is so ready to hurt her that he can't believe he really didn't. I wonder if it was male ego. He just knew he'd be that much that he'd almost kill her? Whatever! Grrrrr!
I also agree with Jazz Girl that this is not one of his more stellar moments, again because he's putting his own needs before Bella's, although your comment on the subject did make me laugh!
Ariadnee, glad to amuse. That was, honestly, one of those things that popped into my head in one of my less stellar, non-expressive moments. But, really. I just cannot figure why he is sooooo far in denial that he didn't break her! I agree with MikkiB, that the amount of time Edward had to lay with her and watch the bruises develop and brood over it probably played a huge part. But, honestly, once she explains to him how happy she is, how fantastic it was for her, Oh My God, I wanted to slap him, and I don't care if it would have broken my hand!!! I think the reason it makes me so mad is that it almost seemed like that moment didn't touch him the way it touched her. And, I always pictured that moment as having such an emotional meaning for both of them.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

Okay, sorry for the double post. But, this is a question that popped into my head and I am going to post it in a few places. But, my fellow Edward-lovers, please respond.
How do you think Edward's relationship with Bella would be different if Edward hadn't been a vegetarian before meeting Bella. I know it's assuming a lot here, but let's assume that the family had say a mixed diet and drank the occasional human, but still made the effort to appear "normal" ie going to school, working at the hospital etc...Edward meets Bella and swears off drinking human blood anymore at that point, so that he can be the man she deserves. Does that change anything?
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
mikkib

Post by mikkib »

Jazz Girl wrote:
ariadnee wrote:
Ariadnee, glad to amuse. That was, honestly, one of those things that popped into my head in one of my less stellar, non-expressive moments. But, really. I just cannot figure why he is sooooo far in denial that he didn't break her! I agree with MikkiB, that the amount of time Edward had to lay with her and watch the bruises develop and brood over it probably played a huge part. But, honestly, once she explains to him how happy she is, how fantastic it was for her, Oh My God, I wanted to slap him, and I don't care if it would have broken my hand!!! I think the reason it makes me so mad is that it almost seemed like that moment didn't touch him the way it touched her. And, I always pictured that moment as having such an emotional meaning for both of them.

I would agree with you all with it were anyone BUT Edward. He was always guilty and blamed himself for everything to the point that it was illogical. It just seemed in character to me that he would do that.
Cymbrelynn

Post by Cymbrelynn »

Jazz Girl wrote:Okay, sorry for the double post. But, this is a question that popped into my head and I am going to post it in a few places. But, my fellow Edward-lovers, please respond.
How do you think Edward's relationship with Bella would be different if Edward hadn't been a vegetarian before meeting Bella. I know it's assuming a lot here, but let's assume that the family had say a mixed diet and drank the occasional human, but still made the effort to appear "normal" ie going to school, working at the hospital etc...Edward meets Bella and swears off drinking human blood anymore at that point, so that he can be the man she deserves. Does that change anything?
First thing is that Edward would probably have had a much harder time refraining from killing Bella in a biology classroom. Actually, it probably would've been impossible considering he had to use every single ounce of self control he had. And if he did somehow stop himself from killing her then I think he would be much more guilt-ridden about not being good enough for her. Maybe never would even have approached her. Would have found the strength to stay away but maybe not. So many maybes!
"Your hold is permanent and unbreakable. Never doubt that." EC
My avatar is from emaleth@vesperarium!
mikkib

Post by mikkib »

Cymbrelynn wrote:
Jazz Girl wrote:Okay, sorry for the double post. But, this is a question that popped into my head and I am going to post it in a few places. But, my fellow Edward-lovers, please respond.
To me, that could be ok but he wouldn't Edward. The character of Edward was too good. Like the difference between say, Wolverine and Superman. I mean, Wolverine is a good guy, a superhero of sorts but not perfectly good. Superman is the goody goody superhero. I see Edward as more the Superman type, always good, always trying to do the right thing. If he ate innocent people, he just wouldn't be Edward anymore, he'd be someone else.
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

mikkib wrote:
Cymbrelynn wrote:
To me, that could be ok but he wouldn't Edward. The character of Edward was too good. Like the difference between say, Wolverine and Superman. I mean, Wolverine is a good guy, a superhero of sorts but not perfectly good. Superman is the goody goody superhero. I see Edward as more the Superman type, always good, always trying to do the right thing. If he ate innocent people, he just wouldn't be Edward anymore, he'd be someone else.
MikkiB, A point I didn not originally take into contention. Let's assume that, while he may not be totally veggie, Edward is still the conscience-ruled vampire we love. So, he is hunting the occasional human, but it is as it was in his teenaged rebellion years, hunting the sadistic and evil like Lonnie, in essence saving the innocent from them.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Heart_in_Hand

Post by Heart_in_Hand »

Jazz Girl wrote:
mikkib wrote:
Cymbrelynn wrote:
MikkiB, A point I didn not originally take into contention. Let's assume that, while he may not be totally veggie, Edward is still the conscience-ruled vampire we love. So, he is hunting the occasional human, but it is as it was in his teenaged rebellion years, hunting the sadistic and evil like Lonnie, in essence saving the innocent from them.

It's been a while. So, here is what I think. I agree with Cymbrelynn that Edward probably would have had a much harder time refraining from killing Bella, and, considering how hard it was for him already, I have my doubts that he would have been able to do so. The whole idea behind the Veggie Vampire lifestyle is becoming used to it though self-denial. I suppose it could go either way but it's kind of like giving up chocolate if it is something you really love. If you give into your desire to eat chocolate every once in a while, it wont be long before eating it becomes a regular part of your life again. On the other hand the occasional bit of chocolate might satisfy your cravings so that you don't want it as much when it comes around. I lean more towards the first scenario though. So, I'm pretty sure it was best for Edward to have been full vegg before he met Bella.
"Don't be afraid. We belong together."

..."Forever."
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by eclipserox »

I agree with others that it would be harder for him to resist Bella. I think he would definitely have killed the guys in the alley in Port Angeles (Twilight) instead of sending Carlisle to take care of them. Bella was never scared of him, which is something that amazed him. Yet, she was scared of the Volturi, partly because she knew they ate humans and saw their red eyes. Would she have been scared of Edward? I'm not sure. Nothing Edward did scared her. She didn't mind hearing that Edward left Carlisle and fed off bad people for awhile. I think she might have been a little scared if she knew he still fed on people and he told her he had a hard time resisting her. I don't think she would be scared enough to stay away from him completely, but she may have been more cautious and their relationship may have taken longer to develop. She might not have had him spend the night with Charlie in the house in case Edward lost control. Would he have been able to suck the poison out after James attacked her and stop before draining her? I don't know. It was very hard for him as is, and if he was used to drinking human blood, it may have been impossible. Maybe he would have let her become a vampire then instead of sucking the poison out. If Edward still drank human blood, I think Billy and Jacob would have taken a harder line against Edward. They may have told Charlie or started a war with the Cullens in order to keep them away from Bella.

Here's another what if question. If Edward and the Cullens were vegetarians and Edward fell deeply in love with a vampire who refused to become a vegetarian, what would happen? Would the Cullens allow the vampire to be part of their family for Edward's sake? Or, would they tell him it couldn't work as long as the vampire fed off humans?
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

Hello all of you longly opinionated people! :D :lol: I love al of your opinions and I decided to state mine for once..and then another question of course. :D
My least favorite Edward moment: When he left in New Moon obviously, but I was more mad at the fact that he had to leave, than being mad at him.*swoon sigh* I can't be mad at him. It's hard to. :lol:

My favorite Edward moment: Practically everything he's in or every line he says. :lol: But out of all is the meadow. That's not just my favorite Edward moment that's my favorite all time moment. My heart melts everytime I read Chapter 13. :D

New question: Now we all know of Edward's extraordinary ability to read minds..now let's say he's watching TV..can he read the thoughts of the people on the program? Whether it be live or pre-recorded?