Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Re: Carlisle Cullen

Post by December »

Hey, any time (*grin*). Now you've got me curious about what Ring's issue with Carlisle is -- I haven't been keeping up with this thread for a while and whatever Rings wrote must have been a while back (I didn't see it in the last couple of pages or so!...).
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Ring's issue was actually on another thread, Q and A I think. Jazz Girl asked if Carlisle had a gift to give him more self-control, and Rings and I both said that it would have cheapened his status if his self-control was the basis of his abstinence. I can agree that perhaps an extra dose of compassion, so rare among the vampires, could be a gift. However, the self-control is all Carlisle's will power and personal commitment. Making it a gift makes him seem less special.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Hmm, I don't know if it makes him seem less special. I mean, it's not as if it wasn't already a part of him, already rare, even in his human time. I think that that was the aspect of his personality that came with him, was intensified and magnified in his change, makes him more special in a way. I mean, it could have been anything, and you can't really say how the intensification of that trait might change it. For instance, Carlisle is also an extremely intelligent man. Say that that intelligence was what was intensified, beyond how it normally is. Intensifying that trait, even in Carlisle, could be dangerous in any number of ways. That his human compassion was so strong that it might have become his gift in his new life I think makes him even more special.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

I amy need to clarify. I believe that his compassion is definitely a gift. No vampire could give so much to others unless it was a very special part of who they were as a human. I also feel that he was probably very self-controlled as a human. What Rings and I were saying was that if Carlisle's super-vampire ability to abstain from human blood came from some type of gift rather than his own choice (given that the compassion helped that self-control) then he wouldn't seem as special to us. It would somehow cheapen his incredible sacrifice. Besides, his self-control is dwarfed by Edward's in BD. The thing that makes hims special is that he made a sacrificial choice and stood his ground. Then he taught others and showed them the truth about themselves; that they are capable of choosing their own fate.

When extraordinary people so extraordinary things, it's normal. When normal people do extraordinary things, it's spectacular.
rollie715
Wandering Through Town

Post by rollie715 »

I moved this post from another forum after thinking it better belonged here.

One of my thoughts with the focus on Vegetarianism first, was that with the continued existence of humans on the earth, the idea of vampires being the predators and humans the prey, life can not go on as it did before when the humans were ignorant. I'm not sure where I read it, but it seems like somewhere in Carlisle's and Edward's comments, they discussed the subject of a higher power such as God, and how they felt there would eventually be a final judgement where even the Vampires were to be judged according to their own deeds. Both Carlisle and Edward seemed to think they would be rewarded in some way if they resisted their natural instincts to kill humans, and tried to overcompensate by protecting human life. At least they hung on to the hope that that could be true. I also remember them commenting something along the lines that because Vampires existed, God must of created them for some purpose and had some kind of plan for them. I'm thinking this may be the driving force behind many of Carlisle's beliefs and commitments and would be a natural response to his early mortal upbringing. Stephenie Meyers has also commented in one of her interviews on the subject of morality, that God's laws as they apply to Vampires may be different then that which would apply to humans as they each have been given a different set of circumstances. Is it immoral for a vampire to kill a human? Carlisle seemed to lean towards thinking it was wrong, as well as Edward who often agonized over how to overcome the "monster".

In light of all this overly heavy thinking, I'm thinking a future where Vampires and Humans openly coexist would have to publicly address the issue of Human Blood consuming and either campaign to eliminate it as an acceptable practice or provide circumstances where it could occur. The subject matter is deeper then I really want to get into, as it could lead to some really horrific Science Fiction or Horror stories.

As for Carlilse's role, I agree, he doesn't force his beliefs on anyone, but he does set a very good example by being true to his own beliefs. He also sees the good in people even if it is just a potential of what they could be if they tried. Edward seems to struggle to live up to what he thinks Carlisle expects of him, but at the same time that influence allows Edward to find strength he didn't know he had. I guess what I'm saying is when Vampires go public, I see Carlisle as coming to grips with his own beliefs and becoming even stronger in them then he was previously. And yes I believe that increased understanding would result in him having a greater influence on those around him and even be perceived by some as preaching.
What I enjoy the very most is when my… enhanced abilities let me save someone who would otherwise have been lost. It’s pleasant knowing that, thanks to what I can do, some people’s lives are better because I exist
- Carlisle Cullen
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

rollie715 wrote:I moved this post from another forum after thinking it better belonged here.

One of my thoughts with the focus on Vegetarianism first, was that with the continued existence of humans on the earth, the idea of vampires being the predators and humans the prey, life can not go on as it did before when the humans were ignorant. I'm not sure where I read it, but it seems like somewhere in Carlisle's and Edward's comments, they discussed the subject of a higher power such as God, and how they felt there would eventually be a final judgement where even the Vampires were to be judged according to their own deeds. Both Carlisle and Edward seemed to think they would be rewarded in some way if they resisted their natural instincts to kill humans, and tried to overcompensate by protecting human life. At least they hung on to the hope that that could be true. I also remember them commenting something along the lines that because Vampires existed, God must of created them for some purpose and had some kind of plan for them. I'm thinking this may be the driving force behind many of Carlisle's beliefs and commitments and would be a natural response to his early mortal upbringing. Stephenie Meyers has also commented in one of her interviews on the subject of morality, that God's laws as they apply to Vampires may be different then that which would apply to humans as they each have been given a different set of circumstances. Is it immoral for a vampire to kill a human? Carlisle seemed to lean towards thinking it was wrong, as well as Edward who often agonized over how to overcome the "monster".

In light of all this overly heavy thinking, I'm thinking a future where Vampires and Humans openly coexist would have to publicly address the issue of Human Blood consuming and either campaign to eliminate it as an acceptable practice or provide circumstances where it could occur. The subject matter is deeper then I really want to get into, as it could lead to some really horrific Science Fiction or Horror stories.

As for Carlilse's role, I agree, he doesn't force his beliefs on anyone, but he does set a very good example by being true to his own beliefs. He also sees the good in people even if it is just a potential of what they could be if they tried. Edward seems to struggle to live up to what he thinks Carlisle expects of him, but at the same time that influence allows Edward to find strength he didn't know he had. I guess what I'm saying is when Vampires go public, I see Carlisle as coming to grips with his own beliefs and becoming even stronger in them then he was previously. And yes I believe that increased understanding would result in him having a greater influence on those around him and even be perceived by some as preaching.
That is an interesting thought.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

rollie715 wrote:In light of all this overly heavy thinking, I'm thinking a future where Vampires and Humans openly coexist would have to publicly address the issue of Human Blood consuming and either campaign to eliminate it as an acceptable practice or provide circumstances where it could occur. The subject matter is deeper then I really want to get into, as it could lead to some really horrific Science Fiction or Horror stories.
I'm WAY ahead of you. After Renesme, every vamp out there will try for a perfect mutant baby of their own. Eventually, the species mingle, and voila, a super race of immortal beings that can't tan. It's perfect! :lol:
Edwards_Bella
Learning to Love Green

Post by Edwards_Bella »

i've actually said to my dad once that i wish he was like carlisle. and it wasn't until he watched twilight that he understood what i meant.
i dont have a father figure persai i come from a broken home so i find comfort when watching the twi-saga in carlisle. but i love edward.
<3 Look after my heart - I've left it with you <3
Click on the egg
HarryTuttle
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by HarryTuttle »

Who thinks Dr. Cullen in the movies look like Spike from Buffy?
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

Great. First we have Jasper who looks like Edward Scissorhands, and now Carlisle looks like Spike?
Now you've ruined it for me. :lol: