Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
ash_luvs_carlisle
Settled in Forks

Re: Carlisle Cullen

Post by ash_luvs_carlisle »

carlisle is my favourite character. apart from the fact that he is drop dead gorgeous, he is the perfect father, husband friend and doctor. i admire his compassion and will power. plus he is from england which is ace ( i am from england) i think that carlisle is far far far more attractive than edward, rather carlisle any day (because he is just gorgeous) he makes me feel giddy :dizzy: <3 am i weird? (bearing in mind im a teenager and i prefer the older man)
"find the will" - Carlisle Cullen
ash_luvs_carlisle
Settled in Forks

Post by ash_luvs_carlisle »

Crooked_Rose wrote:Carlisle is my all time favorite character in Twilight.

He's just an amazing character with so much going for him.

Plus he's a doctor (and hot.) ;D

I completely respect him.
i completely agree- he is my all time favourite twilight (and everything else) character he is sooo gorgeous! :swoon:
"find the will" - Carlisle Cullen
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

I have read the first part about Carlise in the guide and what really struck me is how little SM told us about him in that part. she didn't go deeper in why Carlisle is so compassionate...she claims he has no real extra talent but yet she describes the New Born life as animalistic and uncontrollable...if Carlisle didn't have his extreme compassion he wouldn't have become a vegetarian.
I think it's a pity that she didn't explain more about where the incredible compassion comes from
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Jeakat
Wandering Through Town

Post by Jeakat »

Yeah, I agree. Carlisle's bio didn't really tell me anything that I didn't already know. I was expecting at least a little backstory, like Carlise cared for/ attended to some of the people his father persecuted.
I wasn’t born a compassionless shrew. I used to be sort of nice, you know - Leah Clearwater, Breaking Dawn, p.316
Ellie
Settled in Forks

Post by Ellie »

Carlisle is my favorite character as well, with Edward as a close second.

What's not to love about him, really? I could list all his wonderful traits, but most of them have been pretty well covered. He's fascinating in addition to admirable - his background and absolute uniqueness.

What I wonder is, what are his flaws? All of the characters have flaws except him, it seems, and he can't be perfect. Where do you think he might have shortcomings?
Katwriter
Settled in Forks

Post by Katwriter »

ok so here is the thing, I love Carlisle, i think he's a great family leader but i actually came looking for a character dis Forum to talk about two things, both could be seen flaws depending on how you look at it.

one in NM Carlisle claimed to already consider Bella to be apart of the family and yet when Eddie decided to leave he didn't try and talk to her at all, i mean if he had just had the intire family Including Bella sit down for a talk the whole mess could have been avoided. Now i'm not saying i think it was easy of him i'm sure it was heartbreaking, i would just love to know what he was thinking was, and what he thought the out come would be.
'
the second is from BD, it's the chapter where Jake goes over to the Cullens looking for a fight and fins Bella preggers, when Jake and Ed were talking outside Ed made it sound like Carlisle would have gone through with forceing an abortion on Bella if Emse hadn't been so against it. i have a hard time swallowing this. Now, while I don't agree with either Ed or Jake's want to do this I do UNDERSTAND where both characters are coming from, mainly their fear of loosing Bella blinding their better judgment but i don't get Carlisle the only i can think of is that maybe it stems from him being from the 1600's where it would have been the husband making those dissions but even then Carlise always seemed so good at addapting it's hard to see him still thinking like that.
this has really been bugging me for awhile and i would love to know what other people think, cause i've gone over it in my head a hundred times and i only end up feeling like this :banghead: I'm hoping maybe someone here can shed some light in this for me please?
THANKS,
Kat
helplesslyhoping
Settled in Forks

Post by helplesslyhoping »

Emerging from lurkdom to comment on this because the second instance you brought up has always bothered me too! I just can't wrap my head around the idea that Carlisle would REALLY force an abortion on her. Yes, medically that is the best option. Do I think he would advocate that? Absolutely. Try to convince her? Yes. Actually drug her and do it against her will? I can't see it.

And Carlisle says so later in the book when he's talking to Jacob: "I can't imagine what you must think of me for that. But I can't ignore her will. It wouldn't be right to make such a choice for her, to force her."

Carlisle has no reason to lie to Jacob here; Jacob is in favor of forcing the termination, he wouldn't think any less of Carlisle admitting he wanted to do that too. So I'm inclined to take Carlisle's words at face value.

How you reconcile that with Edward's statements to Jacob earlier in the book I don't know, but THIS sounds much more in character to me. In fact, this quote was chosen as one of Carlisle's quotes for the Illustrated Guide. Why choose it if it did not accurately reflect the character and his point of view?
Katwriter
Settled in Forks

Post by Katwriter »

Thank you!!!!! that whole conversation beteen Ed and Jake just freaked me out, i comletely forgot about that quote i feel so much better now.
and i dont think Carlisle was lieing to jake I think Ed misundersud what had happend, i really dont think that he was in the best space mentally until after he was able to hear Nessie think, and that sort of jerked him out of the funk he was in (thank God!!!!)
but my faith in Carlsile is restored :clap: , even though i would still really love to know what he was thinking in NM.
Kat
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Katwriter wrote: one in NM Carlisle claimed to already consider Bella to be apart of the family and yet when Eddie decided to leave he didn't try and talk to her at all, i mean if he had just had the intire family Including Bella sit down for a talk the whole mess could have been avoided. Now i'm not saying i think it was easy of him i'm sure it was heartbreaking, i would just love to know what he was thinking was, and what he thought the out come would be.
I know what you mean! I have always wondered what happened when Edward told his family about his decision to leave in NM. I think part of Carlisle's thought process was this is Edward's decision. I'm sure Carlisle (along w/Esme & Alice) probably tried to talk him out of it. But we know how stubborn Edward can be & overreact. And the family left very quickly, Carlisle didn't even give the hospital notice. Edward probably asked the rest of them to not see Bella again or say anything. (Something about a clean break.) And it makes me wonder when Edward decided to leave. Was it that night it happened while he watched Bella sleep? Did he go home while she was asleep & tell his family he wanted to leave? Or was it some other time? I really want to know what Edward said, what his family said, and when the other members of his family left. I would love love love for SM to at least write a little bit of this from Edward's pov.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson