Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Re: Caius

Post by navarre »

skylarblue wrote:I think he is a big bully. His only motivation is intimidation. He thinks that just because he's part of the Volturi that he is indestructible. Which I don't believe is true.

I think without Aros being around, Caisus would totally wipe out any vampire coven that had some sort of "normal" life and lived with humans better then them.

I also think that he is so very much intimidated by Carlisle and afraid of him and if Carlisle wanted to, he could bring down the whole Volturi.
He certainly is the more militant of the three. He IS afraid! The Cullens with the size of their coven/family and their combined abilities and if you think about it, their alliances not only with the numerous vampires, but now the wolves, make Carlise & Co. by far a much more formidable opponent. This is of course, Carlise being of a power hungry mode, which he is not.

Aro seems to be the buffer between the two with Marcos not caring either way. But, Aro seems to be more concerned about the 'white hats of saints' and maintaining appearances and Caius wants a full-on fight with no mercy.

I truly hope SM takes us down another journey that would give us possibly a confrontation to end all confrontations. Hmmmmmmm.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i found caius to be a very funny vampire in new moon.being so grim and unetertained sent me into LOL mode. but in breaking dawn he really got on my nerves!! why was he sooooo intent on destroying the cullens! it just wasnt fair. does he have something aganist carlisle or something?? otherwise, he seems like you're ideal volturi. bloodthristy, grim, unliving, unloving, ect. ect. ect.!
Betting on Alice.
swedishskinjer
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by swedishskinjer »

Has SM ever commented on what special ability Caius brings to the Volturi? SM has clearly established that the Volturi is comprised of vampires with abilities that specifically intrigue Aro. They would not take in any normal vampire without evaluating their abilities first.

My theory is that, like Carlisle, Caius has an enhanced piece of his personality. Instead of compassion, he has malice and hatred. I think that Caius could have had a military background. Perhaps he was manipulative and bloodthirsty. Aro values Caius because Caius is not afraid to do anything violent on behalf of the Volturi. He would slaughter anything and everything for the coven. Aro likes Caius because, in addition to being an ancient, he doesn't ask many questions. He just relishes killing.
Tia
Settled in Forks

Post by Tia »

Hello fellow Twilighters
I for one have no belief that Caius brings any Special Abilities to the Volturi, swedishskinjer.
Some personal correspondence with SM at the Twilight Lexicon stated that much I believe but I could be mistaken.
After looking thru the forums I have seen much antipathy toward Caius, and I wish to state my views, they are mine and are my most current views. If any find fault or have suggestions toward the Caius views that I would show, please state them, I wish to know further how he became what he is currently. Here is my repost on Caius from the XY forums;

Regarding the For XY Discussion Only!! forum concerning Caius and his attitude.
My belief is it took several instances/incidents for how he became that way.

One of the Children of the Moon almost won against him, Extra Abilitys could have prevented that. Frustration at his lack of Abilitys then, made him sullen and forming his wish to enforce rules vigorously against them.

Other Volturi could both use their powers and be feared because of those powers, further fueling his attitude.

Not being able to use any Extra Abilitys when at court, he could have approached that with extensive searching of how to use the laws against people. Even bending the laws best as he could to force judgment on someone. Releasing his anger and providing a fear of him, as a part of the trio.

Aro, having seen his devout outlook on Laws and attitude would use that to his advantage. Becoming a lawyer of the trio, seeking out any flaws in their defence. Enforcing his belief that his way of approaching laws and attitude is the right way for him.

This is just my outlook on him, and was in response from the For XY discussion Only!! thread about Caius
Well that wasn't exactly the reaction I'd been going for, 123 p. of SM's Partial Draft.
swedishskinjer
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by swedishskinjer »

I am curious to see how the Volturi elders would fare in combat with their adversaries. We have never seen Aro engage in any physical battles himself, but he's over three-thousand years old. Surely he would have some experience with combat?

As far as Caius is concerned, he has to be some sort of warrior, since he strikes me as the most "military-minded" elder. He successfully destroyed as many werewolves as possible, making the true Children of the Moon nearly extinct. He also participated in Irina's execution, since he "jumped" into the melee. Perhaps Caius delivered the killing blow himself?
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

swedishskinjer wrote:Has SM ever commented on what special ability Caius brings to the Volturi? SM has clearly established that the Volturi is comprised of vampires with abilities that specifically intrigue Aro. They would not take in any normal vampire without evaluating their abilities first.

My theory is that, like Carlisle, Caius has an enhanced piece of his personality. Instead of compassion, he has malice and hatred. I think that Caius could have had a military background. Perhaps he was manipulative and bloodthirsty. Aro values Caius because Caius is not afraid to do anything violent on behalf of the Volturi. He would slaughter anything and everything for the coven. Aro likes Caius because, in addition to being an ancient, he doesn't ask many questions. He just relishes killing.
That's a very good analysis. I agree that it's likely that when Caius changed his taste for violence, and/or his tendency towards fanaticism, was enhanced. That, in turn, is what makes him useful to Aro. Think of the confrontation at the end of BD. Caius is there in full "Carthago delenda est" mode towards the Cullens and the Quileutes. This allows Aro to pose, for the benefit of the audience he has brought along, as the "voice of moderation," pretending to carefully consider the situation and to only act when he has no choice.

Aro is clearly the brains of the Volturi operation--there is no way that they could have held power for so long with Caius running the show.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

My theory is that Caius was the original “muscle” for the Volturi before they formed their guard. His lack of a special gift would drive him to great efforts to prove his worth to Aro, and it is apparent that he convinces Aro of his loyalty. With the temperate Marcus on one side, what better way for Aro to get whatever it is he wants than to have Caius on the other side? Caius is not an idiot, but he is pig-headed and predictable, always assuming the role of the hard-liner. Whenever Aro deems that the more passive, pragmatic approach needs to be taken, he can always side with Marcus. Whenever Aro wants to bring the hammer down, let Caius speak first and then “sadly” take his side as well.

By the way, it is pointed out in Breaking Dawn that it is Caius that makes the decision to wipe out the “immortal children” plague, and all who create or protect them. I think that is very interesting. I am divided on whether that was actually Caius’s decision or whether it was something Aro agreed with and just let Caius take the credit or blame for. I don’t know. Aro is always fascinated by new things, and we know the immortal children were studied by the Volturi for many years. I wonder whether this is one of the very rare times that Marcus and Caius overruled Aro or at least forced the decision on him.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
VolturisConcubine
Settled in Forks

Post by VolturisConcubine »

Agh! Whats not to like about Caius, he's such a B.A.
Yes, that is rather interesting. How do you think they would go, doing hand on hand combat with no help from guards.
I don't (Sadly) think it would turn out in their favor.
But then again who would want to hurt them!!

Caius is so sadistic, I wonder how he started the fight with the Werewolf?
I wonder his relationship with Athenodora!
:cry: So many unanswered questions.

Tell us Stephanie!