Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Renee Dwyer

Post by bite_me »

I think it said in breaking dawn that she thought that Bella was 'still sick but on the mend'. Or maybe just still sick. Or maybe i'm just mixing up charlie with renee.
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
Immy93
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Immy93 »

I don't understand how Bella can simply say that she's never goign to see Renee ever again!?!
How can she ever bring upon ehrself to make ehr mother think she is dead!

I've always been told from an early age (+ personal experiances that I don't really want to go into! You might be a bit scared off) that a parent should never have to bury a child. Bella isn't actually dead so Renee wil be grieving a child who is alive (sort of) just doesn't havev the guts to try and explain things. Yes, she'd be freaked out but she'd still love Bella and she'd get over it wouldn't she?!

Very bizarre!
ImageEdward Cullen
liberal_hippie
Wandering Through Town

Post by liberal_hippie »

I don't understand how Renee is not totally freaking out about Bella being so sick. She seems so concerned about her in the other books, and then she's just gone from the end of BD. I think maybe SM just didn't know what to do about Renee so she ignored her. How can Renee go from so overbearing in Twilight that she sent 3 emails in two days, to "Oh well, she's sick and I haven't heard from her in months" in BD? I find it really unsettling and I'm disappointed in Renee. But it sure does make it easier on Bella, because her mom has been a source of a lot of angst in the past.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i think renee HEARS from bella, she just doesn't see her. she must be getting some info from charlie too.

i sorta got the feeling that SM just wanted to be done when she was writing BD, and she ignored a lot of things in order to get it done.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
jonsgirljen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by jonsgirljen »

I agree that it was like Renee just kinda disappeared from the story, but it had to happen. Plus, it's not like she was really in it that much before. And I'm sure that she never stopped worrying about Bella, even when she was pregnant and "sick," but in Twilight, Bella had just moved away so of course she was constantly e-mailing her, but by Breaking Dawn, she had been gone for awhile and I'm sure that Renee knew that Bella could take care of herself and that Edward was there to take care of too.

Also, I really liked the bond that Renee and Esme formed in Breaking Dawn. It was so cute to see them together, and I love the way that Bella named her child for the both of them. I really liked that.
ariadnee
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by ariadnee »

Just another reason for wishing for more of the novels from Edward's POV (like Midnight Sun) is that we would learn more about Bella's genetic predilection for her mental shield when Edward meets Renee for the first time.

She actually generated my favorite quote from the series, which as we all know, has something like 50 great, GREAT quotes. I think that while it is true that Renee is flighty and sometimes child-like, she's also known for being incredibly intuitive. Bella is the first human to notice the change in Edward's eye color. Where does she get that from? Renee. She figures out a lot of things about Edward, like his ability to read minds, without Jacob's help. Once again, thank Renee.

Before Bella even knows she's going to get married to Edward, Renee has already figured out that Edward is going to adore and protect Bella for the rest of her life. I think that Renee loves meeting and getting to know the Cullens at the wedding, but she's really saying goodbye to Bella then. She's accepted that Bella is moving on and has a new life now. Of course, she's worried about Bella being sick in BD. However, I think that she knows that Edward has the lead responsibility for Bella now, and is willing to take a back-seat role. Hence the change from Twilight to BD in her concern.

Thanks for listening - Ariadnee
"None of us can choose where we will love." - Erik, from Susan Kay's Phantom

I've written an Edward POV fanfic for New Moon: http://login.fanfiction.net/story/story ... &chapter=1
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

For the most part I like Renee. She's a really minor character that we don't get to know very well. But you can tell that she loves her daughter & cares about her & worries about her but she's definitely not your normal parent.

I was really surprised that in BD she was okay w/the wedding. I thought for sure she'd at least raise some objections. But after the shock of her lack of response I thought it was cool how she was so excited & was very helpful when it came to planning & calling and talking to Esme. When it comes to seeing Bella in BD when she's sick they probably told her like Charlie that she's at the CDC and that she was sick probably not that she was dying. (When Charlie sees her for the 1st time he says that Jacob told him she was dying & that this was necessary so w/his comment I don't think before hand they told him she was dying, just she was sick but doing okay.) They wouldn't let Charlie see her why would they let Renee? And if they told them she was dying I don't think they could have kept either of them away. So the Cullens probably just found a way to convince Renee to stay in Florida & they'd update her on Bella's condition.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
vampbball
Wandering Through Town

Post by vampbball »

pennybug84 wrote:When it comes to seeing Bella in BD when she's sick they probably told her like Charlie that she's at the CDC and that she was sick probably not that she was dying. (When Charlie sees her for the 1st time he says that Jacob told him she was dying & that this was necessary so w/his comment I don't think before hand they told him she was dying, just she was sick but doing okay.) They wouldn't let Charlie see her why would they let Renee? And if they told them she was dying I don't think they could have kept either of them away. So the Cullens probably just found a way to convince Renee to stay in Florida & they'd update her on Bella's condition.
Yeah, but I agree with holdingoutforjacob that this is a pretty big thread left untied. It will destroy Renee to believe that Bella is dead. At some point, Renee and Phil are going to come visiting, and heaven help the Cullens (and Charlie!) when they do.
Brumfondl
Settled in Forks

Post by Brumfondl »

The main way that Bella and Renee kept in touch was via e-mail. Bella could easily have kept this up without alerting Renee to anything serious once she was talking to Charlie again. He would convine Renee that he had seen her and all was reasonably OK and Bella would moderately fictional e-mail and all would carry on. For a while. I have to agree with Vampbball that eventually Renee would want to see Bella and then things would sure get interesting (starts chant of Nother Book! Nother Book!).
Brumfondl - not a Team player...

Sarcasm is only the lowest form of wit if you aren't very good at it!
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i think it would be really interesting if stephenie came up with what renne's theory was for what happened to her. especially since we know that from eclipse, she "sees" a lot. but anyway! i really liked renne. especially in BD, she was just a normal mom, who cares a lot for her daughter. :)
Betting on Alice.