Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Leah Clearwater

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

My guess is what Jacob meant is that you can't hide your feelings from them.

I don't think Leah still has "fantasies" about Sam, or at least not often enough that she can't hide them. But I think they all knew she still loved him, but they saw the broken, pained, betrayed side of that love, not the adoring side for sure.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:My guess is what Jacob meant is that you can't hide your feelings from them.

I don't think Leah still has "fantasies" about Sam, or at least not often enough that she can't hide them. But I think they all knew she still loved him, but they saw the broken, pained, betrayed side of that love, not the adoring side for sure.
i agree feeling especially strong ones are hard to supress...they mention that she is heart broken and that it hard to be around Leah because of her strong feeling about Sam and what happened between them...

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Yeah. I think they were referring to the intense betrayal, anger, injustice, and sadness there.

The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Yeah. I think they were referring to the intense betrayal, anger, injustice, and sadness there.
Yep those are theo ones, prety hard to be around anyone like that...

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
suzzeeQ
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by suzzeeQ »

I have a theory as to why Leah started phasing.

She could possibly have chimerism. Chimerism is when a woman becomes pregnant with fraternal twins but during the very early stages of pregnancy the eggs combine. The resulting baby then has two different sets of DNA. Leah may have chimerism; her other set of DNA is male so that is why she started phasing.

I just thought of this and wanted to know what y'all think.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

I think it's absolutely possible! If Leah were a real person, that's definitely the most logical theory I've heard yet!!!

Only, the thing is, she's not, so what we really have to consider is, does SM want us to think she has chimerism? I'm totally in awe of you for thinking of that though!

What I think is that she left that particular aspect a question mark specifically so she'd have options. She hasn't said she's going to close out these characters yet - only that Bella and Edward's story was told. She specifically said she'd love to write from Leah's perspective, although my personal feelings on that option vary. It's kind of the opposite of JK Rowling, she knew her particular series would end best when it did, and so she closed off all real questions before finishing, so she wouldn't be tempted!

Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

To be honest I can't help but feel that SM just intended for us to see that Leah is the first female werewolf because she just is. It's just a coincidence that there were never any females before Leah. Not only that but this generation of wolves is the biggest yet. No pack before them has ever been that big I believe. So I believe that Leah becoming the first female and the reason that there were no females before her was just chance and just that. It's just like how J.K. Rowling said that Ginny Weasley was the first female to be born into the Weasley clan for several generations. J.K. didn't make a special reason for Ginny to be born, it was just coincidental just like Leah is. I think SM, just like J.K. did not make or intended to make a special reason for Leah being a werewolf like she's some sort of defect woman or she the chosen one. To her it was just a coincidence.
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

I agree with Pendragon. I don't think SM wasn't thinking about chimerism when making Leah the first female werewolf. It was just a coincidence. Also, it might have been a writing tool to heighten the drama in the Sam/Leah/Emily triangle. I mean, how horrible is that? To have to hear thoughts about being in love from the guy who dumped you for your cousin. Ouch. Maybe SM really hates Leah and wants to torture her. :(

Good point, holdingoutforjacob, about JK Rowling closing all avenues before ending the series. I always got the feeling HP was better thought out and executed than the Twilight series, maybe for that very reason.
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
suzzeeQ

Post by suzzeeQ »

But I need to know why. Leah is my favorite character and I want to know why she is the way she is. Chimerism is the only explanation that makes sense to me so I'm going with it. Stephenie hasn't said anything on the matter, and until she does, that's what I'm going with.
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

suzzeeQ wrote:But I need to know why. Leah is my favorite character and I want to know why she is the way she is. Chimerism is the only explanation that makes sense to me so I'm going with it. Stephenie hasn't said anything on the matter, and until she does, that's what I'm going with.
Cool. There your own opinion and you allowed to stick to it (unless SM gives her own explination of course :lol: )

I agree with Angelvamp that it was a writing tool first and foremost. Unfortunately some authors skip out on explanations when it comes to using them