Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
chewie1bernie
Settled in Forks

Re: Leah Clearwater

Post by chewie1bernie »

I really feel for Leah. She went through so much! I can't even imagine how much pain she went through when Sam left her for Emily. That girl was practically a sister to Leah! I do think Sam still loves her, just not in a romantic way. That's evident when he told Jared to get down on his knees and uses Sam's old nickname for her. I do think Leah still loves Sam. The stuff she said about wanting him to be happy, that makes you realize she does love him still, but is still bitter and angry and hurt about it.

I do wish we could have learned her happy ending. I think a book from her perspective would be nice. We could see if she finally can get along with the Cullen family, and be comfortable with it. And see her friendship with Jacob grow.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Really?? I saw Sam's asking Jared to use that old nickname as manipulative and cruel.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pendragon »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Really?? I saw Sam's asking Jared to use that old nickname as manipulative and cruel.
I personally interpreted that situation as Sam trying to mean well in order to bring him back, but instead it was an idiot move because he failed to see how much of a low blow that is to Leah. I think he was simply being foolish and not realizing how sensitive those types of things are and how their relationship is.
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

Pendragon wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:Really?? I saw Sam's asking Jared to use that old nickname as manipulative and cruel.
I personally interpreted that situation as Sam trying to mean well in order to bring him back, but instead it was an idiot move because he failed to see how much of a low blow that is to Leah. I think he was simply being foolish and not realizing how sensitive those types of things are and how their relationship is.
I have to agree with holdingoutforjacob on this one. Sam was in love with this woman. The thought that he didn't know what her reaction would be is, in my opinion, ludicrous. He thought he new what it would take to turn her back to him and he exploited it. She also knew what he was capable of and let Jared have it, in wolf-form of course. I say, Good for you, Leah! Grrrrrrroooowwwwwlllll! LOL
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

Angelvamp wrote:
Pendragon wrote:
I have to agree with holdingoutforjacob on this one. Sam was in love with this woman. The thought that he didn't know what her reaction would be is, in my opinion, ludicrous. He thought he new what it would take to turn her back to him and he exploited it. She also knew what he was capable of and let Jared have it, in wolf-form of course. I say, Good for you, Leah! Grrrrrrroooowwwwwlllll! LOL
That is a good point. I guess Sam just didn't care how bad his actions would cause Leah to react, he just wanted her back with the pack.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Right. And we also have to look at why Sam wanted her back with the pack. Was it because he valued her and wanted her to be around? Or was it because when she left, it meant that Jacob had enough pack members that it would be unwise to attack the Cullens?

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Right. And we also have to look at why Sam wanted her back with the pack. Was it because he valued her and wanted her to be around? Or was it because when she left, it meant that Jacob had enough pack members that it would be unwise to attack the Cullens?
That is an interesting thing to wonder. One way of interpreting it is that maybe Sam still wanted her personally to be around or another Idea is that her being there just increased the disadvantage they had over the Cullens so he tried to play with her feelings like he did with Seth. I think maybe it could be a combination of both. One one hand he wished they were still with him to improve the odds and at the same time thought they were being unsafe and wanted them to come back.Either way I still think what Sam did was dumb and insensitive.
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

As usual, holdingoutforjacob makes a good point. What was Sam's motivation for wanting Leah back? Personally, I think it was for selfish reasons. He wanted to maintain his superiority as Alpha, and have a bigger pack than Jacob. Even though he changed first, I think he is really threatened by Jacob and his lineage.

That said, I lost a lot of respect for Sam and gained a lot for Leah when this all went down. Sam treated the situation of Bella as a personal affront, even though there were no facts to back up his assertion that the tribe was in danger. I think Leah was smart enough to see through Sam's phobias and see the situation for what it was. For her to be objective in this way is really commendable. Although, it was established that she had her own selfish motives. But would she have chosen to follow Sam if the roles were reversed? If Jacob wanted the Cullens dead and Sam was protecting them?
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
Primrose
Settled in Forks

Post by Primrose »

Angelvamp wrote:As usual, holdingoutforjacob makes a good point. What was Sam's motivation for wanting Leah back? Personally, I think it was for selfish reasons. He wanted to maintain his superiority as Alpha, and have a bigger pack than Jacob. Even though he changed first, I think he is really threatened by Jacob and his lineage.

That said, I lost a lot of respect for Sam and gained a lot for Leah when this all went down. Sam treated the situation of Bella as a personal affront, even though there were no facts to back up his assertion that the tribe was in danger. I think Leah was smart enough to see through Sam's phobias and see the situation for what it was. For her to be objective in this way is really commendable. Although, it was established that she had her own selfish motives. But would she have chosen to follow Sam if the roles were reversed? If Jacob wanted the Cullens dead and Sam was protecting them?
If the roles were reversed I'm not sure she would go to Sam. I think a main reason why she went to Jacob in the first place (besides the fact her younger brother was there) was that she wanted to get away from Sam, and with Jacob going and forming his own pack she had that opportunity; to leave Sam without leaving her wolf instincts.
That being said, if she didn't follow Sam, would she fight against him if it came to that? :?

(Oh, sorry for randomly entering, I was being creepy yesterday and pretty much read all 50 pages of the thread, aha)
lady4string

Post by lady4string »

I just have to say that I love this character. She's so complex. SM could make a whole other series based on her POV. I think Sam wanted her back because he didn't want to lose member of his pack and knew she would be happier being out of his head. I really wish Leah had wound up with Jacob. As I was reading BD, I thought it was headed that way.