Bella Swan Cullen #2

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Locked
Zina
Settled in Forks
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Post by Zina » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:18 pm

leahroselover wrote:
lol. I am extra harsh on Bella because I feel like she is a bad example of what love does to a girl. She becomes a week pile of mush who can't take care of herself. I mean its just really too pathetic for me to even fathom. I mean, in New Moon, I really lost it with her because she just became a zombie and didn't care about anything until another man came into her life.

I just wanted to shake her all the time and scream. "SNAP OUT OF IT!!" a la Cher
Yeah I can totally see where you are coming from on this one, but I don't agree she snapped out of it because another 'man' came into her life - it was another 'friend' that came into her life. Bella made it obvious on multiple occasions that it was friendship and nothing more in NM.

leahroselover
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Post by leahroselover » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:32 pm

Zina wrote:
leahroselover wrote:
lol. I am extra harsh on Bella because I feel like she is a bad example of what love does to a girl. She becomes a week pile of mush who can't take care of herself. I mean its just really too pathetic for me to even fathom. I mean, in New Moon, I really lost it with her because she just became a zombie and didn't care about anything until another man came into her life.

I just wanted to shake her all the time and scream. "SNAP OUT OF IT!!" a la Cher
Yeah I can totally see where you are coming from on this one, but I don't agree she snapped out of it because another 'man' came into her life - it was another 'friend' that came into her life. Bella made it obvious on multiple occasions that it was friendship and nothing more in NM.
I feel like she led Jacob on. He was like the rebound guy
Image
Avi By Kaitlin @B&E.com
Sig by Electrimafried @ASN
Why Edward Hates Blonde's Pg-13 : A Dark/Romance/Comedy Fic

SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Posts: 1120
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:56 pm
Location: fort collins colorado

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Post by SenorGimp » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:15 pm

always the best man and never the groom sort of scenario...
Image
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp

DesiringJB
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:29 pm

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Post by DesiringJB » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Zina wrote:
leahroselover wrote:
lol. I am extra harsh on Bella because I feel like she is a bad example of what love does to a girl. She becomes a week pile of mush who can't take care of herself. I mean its just really too pathetic for me to even fathom. I mean, in New Moon, I really lost it with her because she just became a zombie and didn't care about anything until another man came into her life.

I just wanted to shake her all the time and scream. "SNAP OUT OF IT!!" a la Cher
Yeah I can totally see where you are coming from on this one, but I don't agree she snapped out of it because another 'man' came into her life - it was another 'friend' that came into her life. Bella made it obvious on multiple occasions that it was friendship and nothing more in NM.
Except Bella did lead Jacob on, not intentionally but because she DID love him more than a friend. AND don't act like it wasn't because another 'man' came into her life. Bella had friends, but they weren't enough. Jacob, her next love interest, began to snap her out of her zombie daze..
Image

Lioness Rampant
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Searching for my Jasper
Contact:

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Post by Lioness Rampant » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:37 pm

leahroselover wrote:
lol. I am extra harsh on Bella because I feel like she is a bad example of what love does to a girl. She becomes a week pile of mush who can't take care of herself. I mean its just really too pathetic for me to even fathom. I mean, in New Moon, I really lost it with her because she just became a zombie and didn't care about anything until another man came into her life.

I just wanted to shake her all the time and scream. "SNAP OUT OF IT!!" a la Cher
I completely, 100% agree!
Image
ColormeBSG

Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!
Posts: 1432
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Post by Amethyst1 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:39 pm

deus ex machina - new english literary word.
And i think it applys greatly to how bella's life evolved in new moon. she needed her "saviour" and Jacob happened to be there...

Something that i really hate about SM writing is her frequent use of her characters as literary devices or deus ex machinas. It's not a really good thing to be honest - i don't find it at least.

Bella colossal dependency is a bit unbearable. Even with Jacob - who supposedly was just a "friend" she had a great deal of dependency on him...
I don't see the point of "i need someone to make me enjoy life", in an obsessive way - i understand love is great and everything. But life is pretty great without men. Well, i am a teenager and right now i am completely happy just being a kid.

SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Posts: 1120
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:56 pm
Location: fort collins colorado

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Post by SenorGimp » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:52 pm

Ya, malaz, I agree with you there..
Love is wonderful, but it's just an added bonus to this amazing thing we are allowed to experience... this thing called life, and i think a lot of people look for something outside of themselves to make their lives meaningful...
well this a fallacious approach to life, as, the way i see it, life is unbelievable no matter how you slice it...
And I know this all sounds pretty cliche, but that's honestly how i feel..
I'd be lying if I told you I didn't feel a little bit less happy when I wasn't able to be around my "bella", but i still appreciate the small joys, the way a warm shower feels when you wake up in the morning, that first cup of coffee to start off your day, the stinging sensation of the sun in your eyes as you adapt to the outside world, the fact that we can feel sensation at all, and that our lives are ours to choose, though we often make the wrong choices, or, well maybe not wrong per se, but poor choices anyway...
All of these things that make being alive magnificent and wretched at the same time, this crazy experiment that often either blows up in our face, or yields an amazing result, this unknown confusing chaotic swirl of so many variables bleeding together in a complex and unknowable cosmic yarn: LIFE

Bella, Bella, Bella
on the Bella thread
= )...
Image
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp

Leah™
Settled in Forks
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Contact:

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Post by Leah™ » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:28 pm

malaz wrote:I don't see the point of "i need someone to make me enjoy life", in an obsessive way - i understand love is great and everything. But life is pretty great without men. Well, i am a teenager and right now i am completely happy just being a kid.
I really see your point. I share your opinion. :) But didn't the Forever Dawn book that wasn't released have some Mature parts to it? I think I read on SM's FAQ that she was going to take some parts from it and apply them to BD. :| That didn't seem very good!

And look how BD turned out! Everything was rushed and fit "perfectly" regardless of the characters. Take Bella, for instance, who would have EVER thought she would be some horny little human. I think the sterile thing made her FRISKY! ;) It just didn't fit the character. And all of a sudden she could control her powers and be a Sucker Mom?! It took the Cullens so long to control themselves and they still have their urges! What made Bella so special? It was a bit Mary-Sue... She went from a spine-less, shy girl that melted in Edwards hands like play-dough left out in the hot 90 degree summer sun to a sexy, semi-confident girl that realizes that she can control people bacause of her beauty and powers. She's mighty shallow too. At the beginning she was very humble and self-sacrificing. She wanted to make everybody happy. :) That was a beautiful quality
Image
"Gentlemen, we just seized an airfield. That was pretty ****ing ninja."
"This is so colossally retarded I can't even say anything."

SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Posts: 1120
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:56 pm
Location: fort collins colorado

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Post by SenorGimp » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:42 pm

Well guys (gals, whatever) I'm going to a friend's house tonight, and they don't have internet, so I'll catch up with y'all tomorrow, cool?
I look forward to reading what you have to say then...
= )...
p.s.
if there are any guys on this thread, check out the new twiguys thread "for xy discussion only", and we would gladly welcome your input...
Although I don't think I HAVE seen any guys on this thread, at least none that I've specifically noticed, anyway...
good night all
:ugeek:
Image
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp

twilight1909
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:29 am
Location: Waiting in the meadow

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Post by twilight1909 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:57 pm

Leah™ wrote:Take Bella, for instance, who would have EVER thought she would be some horny little human. I think the sterile thing made her FRISKY! ;) It just didn't fit the character. And all of a sudden she could control her powers and be a Sucker Mom?! It took the Cullens so long to control themselves and they still have their urges! What made Bella so special? It was a bit Mary-Sue... She went from a spine-less, shy girl that melted in Edwards hands like play-dough left out in the hot 90 degree summer sun to a sexy, semi-confident girl that realizes that she can control people bacause of her beauty and powers. She's mighty shallow too. At the beginning she was very humble and self-sacrificing. She wanted to make everybody happy. :) That was a beautiful quality
How could you have guessed Bella's libido?? I don't see how her personality has anything to do with her sex drive. You can't judge that about a person until they actually do the deed. Bella's "intoxicated by the very presence" of Edward. Of course she wants to explore the physical aspect of their love, which was extremely limited for a frustratingly long time.. she couldn't get enough once she had a taste! lol. Actually, Bella was always trying to get more heated with Edward. Even during their first kiss. It was in her from the start.

Bella DOES have urges after her transformation. Remember the hikers? it overwhelmed her, but she found the strength to run away. The reason she's able to do that is because she's had years to think about becoming a vampire and what that entails. She knew how hard it would be, knew what to expect and that it CAN be controlled. Edward made himself a constant reminder of their horrifying instinct but showed that even the most alluring scent can be denied. Nearly everyone who becomes a vampires has no prior knowledge about them. They don't know what's coming, just that they're in extreme pain for 3 days and wake up with a savage thirst for blood. Bella was mentally prepared. Perhaps that willpower strengthened during her transformation, as most prominent qualities do.
Image
Image
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo

Locked