Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Post by The Dark Knight »

New thread,

So what do you think was the reason/s for Edward falling for Bella? What where the reason why Bella fell for Edward?

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
Knives
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Knives »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:You are right too. But really, if she were a "normal" teenage girl and he were a "normal" teenage boy, she really DIDN'T know him well enough to say that much about her feelings. But the entire point of the story is that she's not and he's not and that's why these grand statements can be made. That's the point I was trying to make to Knives.
Emphasis mine.

Edward may not be normal, but Bella certainly is. Furthermore, how would Bella know anything about Edward beyond the normal methods of finding out? I still say the progression of the relationship to a "marital love" stage is unrealistically accelerated; even if Edward had some supernatural way of knowing what Bella was like as a person (which, amazingly enough, he doesn't - he can't read her mind), Bella lacks any such tool to relate to Edward.
Openhome wrote:Knives, I believe that..
wait for it...
you are right.
amethyst
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by amethyst »

Knives ... I have to go to school at the moment, but when I return later I will provide you with some examples that show Edward's "supernatural" way of finding out what kind person Bella is, and Bella's "normal" methods to finding out what kind of person Edward is. Though I do agree that their the progression of their relationship was very accelerated.
"I never would have banished him from her society as long as she desired his. . . . . But, till then--if you don't believe me, you don't know me--till then, I would have died by inches before I touched a single hair of his head!"
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Didn't we already establish that Bella is not normal? She runs into danger, falls in love with possibly the deadliest creature to her possible, hangs around with werewolves...

Edward may not be able to read Bella's mind, but he can read everyone else's. Through their thoughts and observations (and just plain seeing and hearing Bella) he's able to compose a mental image of her personality.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

The Dark Knight wrote:New thread,

So what do you think was the reason/s for Edward falling for Bella? What where the reason why Bella fell for Edward?
To answer the first part of the question, I go to Edward himself;
"With a heedless smile on her lips, her sky-colored eyes full of mischief, the angel formed Bella in such a fashion that there was no way that I could possibly overlook her. A ridiculously potent scent to demand my attention, a silent mind to enflame my curiosity, a quiet beauty to hold my eyes, a selfless soul to earn my awe." (DHN, p 217)

Once she had captured Edward's heart and mind, she earned his love just by being Bella. An open hearted, caring, slightly-out-of-her-mind young woman who turned his world upside down and completely right side up at the same time.

As for why Bella fell for Edward, well she tells us the answer to that, too;
"I love him. Not because he's beautiful or because he's rich!...I'd much rather he weren't either one. It would even out the gap between us just a little bit---because he'd still be the most loving and unselfish and brilliant and decent person I've ever met. Of course I love him. How hard is that to understand?" (Eclipse, p 110)

Yes, there love progresses very quickly. But, honestly the relationship itself does not. Look at the time line. It is roughly 18 months from their first meeting to the time of their marriage. That is actually pretty typical. Yes, almost immediately, they are very deeply in love and committed to each other. Again, I stay with my belief that it is completely possible, regardless of whether you are in the Twiverse or this one, to meet the person you are meant to be with and just know. And that's the beauty of this love story. Bella & Edward are fated to be together. And, despite everything fate throws at them, despite their own failures and founderings and attempts to screw everything up, they somehow find their way through it together, ending up strong and happy on the other side of it all.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Knives wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:You are right too. But really, if she were a "normal" teenage girl and he were a "normal" teenage boy, she really DIDN'T know him well enough to say that much about her feelings. But the entire point of the story is that she's not and he's not and that's why these grand statements can be made. That's the point I was trying to make to Knives.
Emphasis mine.

Edward may not be normal, but Bella certainly is. Furthermore, how would Bella know anything about Edward beyond the normal methods of finding out? I still say the progression of the relationship to a "marital love" stage is unrealistically accelerated; even if Edward had some supernatural way of knowing what Bella was like as a person (which, amazingly enough, he doesn't - he can't read her mind), Bella lacks any such tool to relate to Edward.

Again. You're just kind of missing the point. The entire premise of the story is based on the fact that this love SHOULDN'T work like this - but it does. If you want an example of a love that could REALLY happen, that's Bella and Jacob. That's the beauty of this story. It gives you both.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

holdingoutforjacob wrote:
Knives wrote:
Emphasis mine.

Again. You're just kind of missing the point. The entire premise of the story is based on the fact that this love SHOULDN'T work like this - but it does. If you want an example of a love that could REALLY happen, that's Bella and Jacob. That's the beauty of this story. It gives you both.
Holdingoutforjacob,

I see where you’re coming from. I do have to disagree a bit. The only part that is mentioned from the books about being supernatural is where Edward talks about humans being overly attracted to vampires. It does not say anything directly that the relationship is supernaturally based. We can assume that it is by the fact that Edward is not human and the way things develop but it is not directly stated as such. From one view point the relationship is much akin to cross cultural relationships.

Knives,

Your view on the “unrealistically accelerated” is odd to me. I’ve know humans to move to that state of love in just a few weeks. Some of those relationships have lasted, while others have just crashed and burned. So, I have a bit of trouble seeing your view point here; please elaborate on your view point some. In terms of how long it took them to get married, I think that time frame is quiet normal.

The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Well Jazz Girl,

Your post got me to thinking on the drive home. I think we as a group here on this thread have not taken the time to come to some basic understanding. The main one I would like to address is motives for Edward & Bella’s relationship. Relationships are driven by emotions and emotions are driven by motives. So I put forth the following motives for each of them as their base rational for their relationship.

Bella’s motive is fairly easy to divine, as we can all give chapter and verse. Her motive throughout all four books is Edward is to be hers forever. She adds a few thing along the way like being apart of the Cullen family, keeping Jacob as her best friend (except those few moment when she finds out he imprinted on Nessie) and of course Nessie herself.

I pose to you all can we agree that her main motive is “Edward & her forever,” yes or no?

Next Edward, he has to change his motives mid stream. In Twilight thru to the clock tower in New Moon his main motive is, “what is best for Bella and her safety.” From the clock tower forward his motive changes to also include, “Bella and Edward forever.”

I pose to you all can we agree that his main motives are, “what is best for Bella and her safety,” and later including “Bella and Edward forever,” yes or no?

The terms and verbiage may not be to your liking but can we agree to the concepts?

The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

hummm...there appears to be several post that have vanished...maybe they wil show up again...

Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

The Dark Knight wrote:Well Jazz Girl,

Your post got me to thinking on the drive home. I think we as a group here on this thread have not taken the time to come to some basic understanding. The main one I would like to address is motives for Edward & Bella’s relationship. Relationships are driven by emotions and emotions are driven by motives. So I put forth the following motives for each of them as their base rational for their relationship.

Bella’s motive is fairly easy to divine, as we can all give chapter and verse. Her motive throughout all four books is Edward is to be hers forever. She adds a few thing along the way like being apart of the Cullen family, keeping Jacob as her best friend (except those few moment when she finds out he imprinted on Nessie) and of course Nessie herself.

I pose to you all can we agree that her main motive is “Edward & her forever,” yes or no?

Next Edward, he has to change his motives mid stream. In Twilight thru to the clock tower in New Moon his main motive is, “what is best for Bella and her safety.” From the clock tower forward his motive changes to also include, “Bella and Edward forever.”

I pose to you all can we agree that his main motives are, “what is best for Bella and her safety,” and later including “Bella and Edward forever,” yes or no?

The terms and verbiage may not be to your liking but can we agree to the concepts?
Dark Knight~ I think we (speaking only for you and I, not any other regular posters) can absolutely agree on Bella's motives. And, I think we can in theory agree on Edward's motives as you stated them. However, the caveat has to be given that Edward's motivation of what's best for Bella and her safety" never goes away, even after he changes her. He really just adds in the motivation of "Bella and Edward forever". Edward still has a hugely difficult time with Bella being in any situation that he sees as risky, regardless of the fact that she becomes basically indestructible.

But, more importantly, I think you have to keep in mind the motivation of "that which makes Bella happy" is above "Edward & Bella forever" in terms of priorities. It just so happens that what makes Bella happy is Bella & Edward forever, so they pretty much coincide. But, if you are evaluating events in Eclipse, or even in Breaking Dawn, that order has to be maintained. Edward makes it crystal clear that if Bella orders him away, away he goes.

So, if we can amend the motivations to be something like, in order of priority, 1) That which is best for Bella and her safety, 2) That which makes Bella happy, and 3) Edward & Bella together forever, than yes, I think we can agree on the concepts.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS