Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Renesmee #2

Post by GrayceM »

corona wrote:It's somewhere on the 11th that Bella's spinal injury is repaired, so I guess it's "Happy Double the Pain" day, though that doesn't sound very festive.
Oh my! :lol: That is a little gruesome...but it's a great line!
Grayce
Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

Post by Pel »

I actually have an answer for you guys. We've never gotten around to updating the timeline. When we first learned of this a contract precluded us from updating.

Stephenie counts the 13th as a day in the "three day count" so when you count three days you land on the 11th.

I personally, and many people personally don't count that way, but she does...or at least Bella does. What can I say, math was not her strong suit!
mainhoonemily
Wandering Through Town

Post by mainhoonemily »

I thought there was somewhere Stephenie said that it doesn't necessarily take 3 days - that Bella was changing for more like 2 and a half, because there was so much venom in her system?
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Carlisle says it was a little over two days. The question is how much that "little over" actually was.

It is possible Nessie was born on the 11th, as long as when Jacob noticed it was getting dark he was actually talking purely about cloud cover and not the time of day, that when Alice mentions her change beginning two days ago she was speaking in general terms (at least another 7 hours go by after her comment), and the little over 2 days is only one or two hours worth. Otherwise, it doesn't add up.

If I had to try to figure out a date for Nessie, I would have come up with the 10th myself, it fits better with the common understanding of the BD text, with Bella beginning the change the evening of the 10th and finishing the morning of the 13th. That gives Bella and Edward plenty of time to hunt, come back and reunite with Renesmee, assorted chit chat, and then Alice arriving with the key to the cottage. Edward says "Finally" as if he had been anticipating her arrival for some time. There is a sense of several hours passing from when Bella gets up to when they get the cottage key.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

corona wrote:Edward says "Finally" as if he had been anticipating her arrival for some time. There is a sense of several hours passing from when Bella gets up to when they get the cottage key.
I don't know. I think he would have been in a bit of a hurry to get to the cottage alone with Bella! Maybe it just seemed like hours to him! ;)

Yes, I think if we fudge it and say that the cloud cover accounted for the darkness it works best in the "little over two days" scenario, which would date Renesmee's birth on the 11th. Either way it's a stretch, though. Either Jake is exaggerating about the darkness (maybe he's speaking metaphorically - he's going back to the darkness!) or Carlisle's idea of "a little over" is beyond what we would consider as a little over. I guess it depends which way you want to go.
Blossomforth
Settled in Forks

Post by Blossomforth »

I kinda hope that the Guide is wrong, and Renesmee's birthday is on the 10th... September 11th is a really unfortunate birthday to have. : (

As for Renesmee being a brat... I could definitely see how that could become an issue in the future, but I don't think it's likely. From what we've seen of Renesmee's personality, she's very sweet and polite. I'm not saying she couldn't change, but I think that these traits will follow her into adulthood. Perhaps she'll just end up "spoiled sweet". : )
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

It's a birthday plenty of kids have. I know two with that date for their birthday. In fact, one was born on 11 September 2001. We can't let what once happened on that date always define everything about it.
Blossomforth
Settled in Forks

Post by Blossomforth »

Tornado wrote:It's a birthday plenty of kids have. I know two with that date for their birthday. In fact, one was born on 11 September 2001. We can't let what once happened on that date always define everything about it.
True. ^^