Edward and Bella 2

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Re: Edward and Bella 2

Post by una »

Angelvamp, I must say, I love your quote in your signature! GREAT movie!

Dark Knight, very interesting question. I think prior to the end of Eclipse, Edward wasn't completely sure that Bella was his. I think he may have had concerns, simply because he couldn't rely on his mind reading ability to give him peace of mind on what Bella's choice would be. Even though she was with Edward, she still kept a close friendship with Jacob, at time, defying Edward to be with him. Did Edward worry about her safety around a young werewolf - yes, of course. Did Bella assure Edward that she was choosing him - yes. But remember, Edward knows (he does read minds) that people say one thing and believe/think another. What male (who isn't overtly experience in romantic relationships - regardless of his age) wouldn't be doubtful? Wouldn't be fearful? Would he be happy if Bella chose to remain human, yes- he'd be happy for her keeping her mortality (not becoming a "monster" like him or being harmed by one of his own) but it would destroy him. Plus, I agree, Jacob didn't imprint on Bella so the chance remains that Jacob could leave her (if we are not taking Breaking Dawn into account). But depending on how much time had passed, would Bella have gone back with Edward? Would Edward seek her out and keep an eye on her while he waited for Jacob to imprint? How heart wrenching would that be for Edward?
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

If I'm not mistaken, I think Edward told Jacob he would be waiting in the wings for Bella, should she choose him instead. I believe it was the tent scene in Eclipse, when Bella was half asleep. And good points about the mind reading thing, una. I think it was important to the story for him have had insecurities just like any other male. Makes him easier to relate to.
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

So if Edward is waiting in the wings for a long time, say thirty years or so, how would it be when Edward came for Bella later...She would appear to be his mother not his girl...any thoughts?

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

I think Bella would have more of an issue with the age difference than Edward would. And, nowadays, it doesn't seem to be so unusual to have an older woman with a younger man. Yeah, 30 years is a big difference, and maybe one that Bella wouldn't be able to get over, but I don't know that socially it would be such a big problem.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

bac - You have a great banner. Love that quote :)

I definitely think that Edward would be waiting in the wings, if Bella chose Jacob. He would always be watching, but never letting her know he was there. But he would be there, in case she should need him.
I don't think Edward would have a problem with Bella being 30 years older than him. He would love her regardless. He was prepared to live with her until she died a natural death from the start. I just have to mention this horribly sad fanfic that I read where Edward left, and never came back until Bella was an old lady, and she was dying. And Edward came to the hospital and kissed her, and she died in his arms. It was so heartbreakingly sad, but I definitely can see it happening. He would always love her, and always want her, and not care that she was old. But I don't think he would have changed her if she was old, because she wouldn't have wanted to live like that forever.

For Bella, I think it would have been hard to handle. She was already freaking out about turning 18, and just the thought of turning 30 almost put her in a state of panic. So I don't think she would have felt comfortable looking like she was Edward's mother. I don't think she would have doubted his love for her, but she would have felt that people were staring and thinking badly of her.
I agree, bac, that I don't think it would have been a problem since relationships like that are more common now, but I still think it would have been hard on Bella. I do think that she would have been with Edward regardless, though.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

I see Bella's vanity getting the better of her, her deep fear of growing old that was demonstrated in the dream about her Grandma but turn out to be her, reveals this. She could not handle being the cougar...

Thought's?

bac

Post by bac »

The Dark Knight wrote:I see Bella's vanity getting the better of her, her deep fear of growing old that was demonstrated in the dream about her Grandma but turn out to be her, reveals this. She could not handle being the cougar...

Thought's?
I disagree with the word vanity. She was maybe prideful in thinking that people would be looking at her when really they probably wouldn't care. Prideful maybe isn't the word either. She constantly compared herself to Edward in all areas. In physical looks she just really didn't see herself objectively. In relation to Edward, in her mind she could never measure up. But in the process of being self conscious about her looks it makes her prideful in that she thinks people are looking at her or noticing her. I'm sorta talking in circles I think.

I agree that Bella couldn't handle being a cougar, but I think it is her not wanting to be noticed and thinking that people are looking at her, when really, who cares what other people think. I just don't think she would have been able to get over the physical looks difference added to the age difference.
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

bac wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:I see Bella's vanity getting the better of her, her deep fear of growing old that was demonstrated in the dream about her Grandma but turn out to be her, reveals this. She could not handle being the cougar...

Thought's?
I disagree with the word vanity. She was maybe prideful in thinking that people would be looking at her when really they probably wouldn't care. Prideful maybe isn't the word either. She constantly compared herself to Edward in all areas. In physical looks she just really didn't see herself objectively. In relation to Edward, in her mind she could never measure up. But in the process of being self conscious about her looks it makes her prideful in that she thinks people are looking at her or noticing her. I'm sorta talking in circles I think.

I agree that Bella couldn't handle being a cougar, but I think it is her not wanting to be noticed and thinking that people are looking at her, when really, who cares what other people think. I just don't think she would have been able to get over the physical looks difference added to the age difference.
So you see her wanting to keep her youth and good looks as prideful not vain?

Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

I don't see Bella as having a deep seated fear of aging, before Edward. In fact, it's because of how she sees Edward, versus her perception of herself, that causes her self esteem to take a hit and make her grasp onto anything that would even the playing field, so to speak. If Edward were a normal human boy, she may have even looked forward to getting older, college, marriage, etc.
I don't think she could've handled being the cougar either, too much negative attention would have come her way. It is kinda creepy to imagine. :? It wouldn't be so bad if Edward wasn't 17, like if he was in his early 20's or something.
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
bac

Post by bac »

The Dark Knight wrote:
So you see her wanting to keep her youth and good looks as prideful not vain?
No, I don't see her as wanting to keep her youth and good looks. Therefore not vain.

I more agree with the idea of her comparing herself with Edward and his physical looks. I agree with what Angelvamp said. If Edward were human, or if Bella had chosen Jacob, then she may enjoy growing older and the signs of age. Then they would both be aging together and showing those signs of age together, as apposed to just her.