Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Re: Edward and Bella 2

Post by December »

So I have a practical request for all you guys -- not specifically about any recent posts, just something I've been meaning to post for a while....

All this quoting of posts within posts within posts makes for an awful lot of scrolling to get to your actual message! If you can just quote the part of someone else's post that is directly relevant to the point you're making, it makes the boards a lot easier to read. Ok, we realize that sometimes you need to quote a whole chunk of another post to make yourself clear -- possibly including stuff they quoted themselves -- and that's fine! But if you're just being lazy and hitting the Quote button when you reply, PLEASE ask yourself if you couldn't make do with quoting less. It will do everyone who follows the thread a big favour!

And if you've been quoting whole posts all this time because no one ever showed you how to just quote parts (and you won't be the first)...you can find instructions here.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

OK, New thread for opulent:

In the Book twilight, just after the dinner in Port Angels. Bella makes her famous quote, "About three things I am certain...The last one is what I wish to focus on. It goes something like this, "I am completely & irrovoacably in love wtih Edward." Yah ,I know its not the exact quote but I'm sure someone will post it for us...Don't have the books with me.

So here's the quesiton, this is really early in their relationship, how could she be completely & irrovoaclably in love that fast? Anyone care to explain?
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Well for her to never having a boyfriend I would say no. But if she was the type of girl who fell in love with every cute guy she met I would say she was crazy. But I still think she was more intriqued and drawn to him in a way she never had been with any boy before so all this was new so she just said it was love. I think once she spent more time with him yes she did fall in love with him all the way.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
opulent
Learning to Love Green

Post by opulent »

Nice.

Well, I actually kind of go along with Diane: I don't think that it's exactly love this early on. I think a huge part of their relationship is that they are both absolutely fascinated with each other from the beginning. She is trying to figure out his secret, and he can't hear her thoughts and she acts "oddly". Note: Fascination does not equal love. But I also think that she saw something in him that she did like - admit it, everyone here has had a crush on someone after meeting them only once. I know I have. She thought he had a beautiful soul, even early on, and she liked that. She liked his intelligence, his intensity, so there was something there for her to like from the first. I just think it was more of a crush than love at that point, and when she got to know him better in the meadow scene and thereafter, she fell in love for real.

My point is, the fascination combined with her other feelings that she had for him to create a potent cocktail of emotions. It probably did feel like "unconditional and irrevocable" love. I just think that it turned into true love further down. . . I'm thinking probably in the meadow scene.
"Plus que ma propre vie."
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

The Dark Knight wrote:OK, New thread for opulent:

In the Book twilight, just after the dinner in Por Angels. Bella makes her famous quote, "About three things I am certain...The last one is what I with to focus on it goes something like this, "I am completely & irrovoacably in love wtih Edward." Yah ,I know its not the exact wuote but I'm sure someone will post it for us...Don't ahve the books with me.

So here's the quesiton, this is really early in their relationship, how could she be completely & irrovoaclably in love that fast? Anyone care to explain?
I think it was because she had realized that he was a vampire. She knew that, and she knew the dangers connected with him. And still she knew that she could never stay away. In the car on their way home, she felt that he was dimissing any possibility of them being together. And that made her so angry it brought her to tears. So I think from the point of "It doesn't matter", that was when she knew that she couldn't be without him. And what she says in unconditionally and irrevocably in love, which I think sums it up well. She accepts Edward just the way that he is vampire and all. Unconditionally. I think that is part of who Bella is as well. She is loving and accepting towards people, and Edward just caught her interest straight away.
I think that she was "in love" with him, but it wasn't love in the extreme sense yet. She was so fascinated with him, and she just wanted to get to know him more. And I think she really felt that she needed him in her life from that point.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Asheleyo »

I do think that Bella could have been in love at that point. She certainly had plenty of time to mull over the idea of Edward Cullen at that point. It had been something near two months since meeting him, she had shared a traumatic experience with him (Tyler's van trying to killer her multiple times), she had kept his secret and earned his confidences. She also dreamed about him almost nightly, so he was certainly consuming her world almost as much as she was consuming his. It's too hard of a question to say exactly when we can claim we went from fascination or infatuation to love. We find many times that we don't realize we're in love until something threatens our ability to continue in a relationship. I'm willing to trust Bella's assessment of her own feelings. She may only be 17, but that, to me, is certainly old enough to know what love is.

I was thinking a couple days ago about the argument between Bella and Edward about who loves who more. It's an age-old silly thing that kids in love do, but with the introduction of vampire feelings, we're forced to look at it a little differently. Edward says that Bella could not possibly love him as much as he loves her, that no human could love that much. I was thinking that he might not be entirely correct. I believe that Edward's love feels more intense than Bella's, but I don't think that necessarily means there is more love there. I think that Bella holds just as much love, but she is limited by her human brain. We can only use so much of our brains, whereas vampires can use all of theirs. Everything feels more intense, yes, but only because they are capable of feeling it. Bella's love for Edward does not grow any stronger once she is turned, she simply feels it more intensely. I think she loved Edward and felt as much as she could with her human brain. But she shouldn't be counted as loving less simply because Edward has greater capacity to feel.

What do you guys think?
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
opulent
Learning to Love Green

Post by opulent »

I agree with you 100% Asheleyo. Edward loved her as much as he physically could, and she loved him as much as she physically could, and in that sense they were equals.

I didn't mean to imply earlier that it isn't possible for them to be in love that early, or even at that young of an age. I do think it's possible. The reservation I have is that she doesn't really know him that well yet - around him for two months, yes, but she has barely spoken to him in that time to get to know him. That's why I think it is more of a fascination issue rather than love until later on, when she knows him a little better. . .There are certain things about a person that can be inferred without speaking to them, and she saw some things about him that she liked.

I mean, how many people have met someone once, thought they were in love? Then they get to know each other better and realize they were wrong? I think Bella did the same thing, but she got lucky and actually did end up falling for him.
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

opulent wrote:
I mean, how many people have met someone once, thought they were in love? Then they get to know each other better and realize they were wrong? I think Bella did the same thing, but she got lucky and actually did end up falling for him.
I think you're right. If this were the real world and not a fantasy, that would 100% be the situation with Bella believing she's in love with Edward at such an early point in the relationship -- more infatuation and fascination than anything else. But since this is a fairy tale, I'm willing to suspend disbelief a bit and say that she just knew. No one ever asks how Cinderella knew she was in love with the prince after essentially one dance, or how Ariel fell for Eric by just seeing him on the ship. We just kind of accept it even though we know that real life doesn't work like that. I, at least, am willing to extend Bella and Edward the same courtesy.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
opulent
Learning to Love Green

Post by opulent »

moon sidhe wrote:
I think you're right. If this were the real world and not a fantasy, that would 100% be the situation with Bella believing she's in love with Edward at such an early point in the relationship -- more infatuation and fascination than anything else. But since this is a fairy tale, I'm willing to suspend disbelief a bit and say that she just knew. No one ever asks how Cinderella knew she was in love with the prince after essentially one dance, or how Ariel fell for Eric by just seeing him on the ship. We just kind of accept it even though we know that real life doesn't work like that. I, at least, am willing to extend Bella and Edward the same courtesy.
I agree with you there - in fact, all readers who like the books are really extending that courtesy to Edward and Bella, simply because I don't think such intense relationships exist in real life. I think that their relationship really defies description or classification, and therefore we have to relate it to what we do know, and that is the relationships that we as humans deal with every day.
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

opulent wrote:
I agree with you there - in fact, all readers who like the books are really extending that courtesy to Edward and Bella, simply because I don't think such intense relationships exist in real life. I think that their relationship really defies description or classification, and therefore we have to relate it to what we do know, and that is the relationships that we as humans deal with every day.
Yeah, I agree. And isn't the improbability of the undying intensity of their love what makes it such a great fantasy? I mean, I feel like that's something that many of us long for, even though we know it's supremely unrealistic.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet