Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Jacob Black #2

Post by Esme echo »

spicy16 wrote:What are the main differences between bella's jacob, wolf jacob(not wolf form just after he phased initially), and renesme Jacob???
Not having been on the boards for a while, I'm surprised no one has responded to this . . .

I think Bella's Jacob was a normal (though somewhat more sensitive than normal) teenage boy who liked cars and enjoyed working on them, liked having fun with his friends, and liked associating with pretty girls. He was basically responsible and nurturing.

Wolf Jacob was resentful. He had been drafted into a war he didn't know existed and which totally impacted his freedom and his sense of self. His new knowledge of who/what had abandoned Bella enraged him, both because vampires had no right to exist and because of what Edward's desertion had done to Bella. He couldn't understand how something as loathsome as a vampire could have such power over Bella. Initially, he also feared his new physical realities would make him disgusting in Bella's sight, which spelled the death of his dreams. After Bella accepted him as a werewolf he wasn't quite as upset, but he still felt hatred towards vampires in general and Edward in particular. IMO, maintaining that level of hatred changes a person. Jacob lost his "innocence." He became more hardened.

I don't have a good feel for Renesmee's Jacob; we don't get to see enough of him. Absolutely committed to Renesmee's happiness, of course; the hatred was gone -- replaced with an all-consuming platonic love -- so he recaptured some of his fun-loving nature; at peace with the future as he saw it; he was still functioning as an Alpha, so his responsiblity bone continued to mature . . . he almost seems middle-aged in book three of Breaking Dawn, like his emotions had caught up with the physical maturity of his body.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

The continued use of "Bella's Jacob" and "Wolf Jacob" tends to frustrate me. I think it's inaccurate, personally. When Jacob became a wolf, he was angry at first, because he thought it made it necessary for him to break his promise to Bella, even more than the fear of her being disgusted by him. But once that got cleared up, he was much the same Jacob again. Obviously he was more mature, he had more responsibilities and a new purpose in life. But still happy, not angry all the time. It is possible to think one individual is despicable and not have it take over your life, especially when that person is gone. But it is when Bella returns to the Cullens without a second thought to Jacob, to the pack, to what they've done for her that he becomes angry. It's an incredible betrayal, it's so unfair, THAT'S what broke his heart, that's what he resents, that's what's made him so angry. Bella. She was doing what was best for her, and I commend her for that, but still. It's interesting that in Bella's mind, as long as everything's happy and fluffy and fine, he's "her Jacob" but as soon as she's faced with the consequences of her actions, she separates him from her.

That wasn't meant to be a scolding or a chastisement in any way, shape or form. I totally get that it's just simpler to say Pre-Wolf and Post-Wolf.

Okay anyway, to answer the question.

Early Jacob was honestly just a kid. A kid who contained the makings for a wonderful, lovely man. Responsibility, loyalty, passion, a fun-loving spirit, intelligence, good humor. But he hadn't experienced all that much yet.

Post Nessie Jacob seemed to be merely a shell of himself, to be totally honest. I much prefer even the angry, brooding Jacob. At least he was his own person.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
suzzeeQ
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by suzzeeQ »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Post Nessie Jacob seemed to be merely a shell of himself, to be totally honest. I much prefer even the angry, brooding Jacob. At least he was his own person.

This is one of the main reasons I dislike Breaking Dawn. Jacob was one of my favorite characters and he was completely ruined. He isn't Jacob anymore. He's Renesmes imprint. That is all that he will be defined by. It depresses me.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

If there were an alternate ending to Breaking Dawn . . . a different book 3, what would you like to have seen as regards Jacob?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

Esme echo wrote:If there were an alternate ending to Breaking Dawn . . . a different book 3, what would you like to have seen as regards Jacob?
I personally would have liked to see him move on from Bella naturally. I would want him to have gotten better and to have found love the natural way not imprint. Also I would have liked to see more of the growing relationship between him and Leah.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Just to see him still be a person with some free will and a mind of his own would have been nice, but moving on...

I would not have minded his imprinting so much if it had not been a) on Nessie and b) an entirely cheap plot device. If he had healed before imprinting, I would have been fine with it. A growing relationship would have been with Leah would have been o.k. too.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Just to see him still be a person with some free will and a mind of his own would have been nice, but moving on...

I would not have minded his imprinting so much if it had not been a) on Nessie and b) an entirely cheap plot device. If he had healed before imprinting, I would have been fine with it. A growing relationship would have been with Leah would have been o.k. too.
Yeah, that is something i would have loved as well.
suzzeeQ

Post by suzzeeQ »

Pendragon wrote:
Esme echo wrote:If there were an alternate ending to Breaking Dawn . . . a different book 3, what would you like to have seen as regards Jacob?
I personally would have liked to see him move on from Bella naturally. I would want him to have gotten better and to have found love the natural way not imprint. Also I would have liked to see more of the growing relationship between him and Leah.

That's exactly what I wanted to happen.
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Who knows, maybe if SM revisits this world it will be through Jacob (and we'll see how his and Renesmee's relationship grows since I'm sure she isn't out of danger yet) or through Leah. I would be very interested in seeing how Jacob grows and how the nature of the relationship between him and Renesmee change.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

una wrote:Who knows, maybe if SM revisits this world it will be through Jacob (and we'll see how his and Renesmee's relationship grows since I'm sure she isn't out of danger yet) or through Leah. I would be very interested in seeing how Jacob grows and how the nature of the relationship between him and Renesmee change.

Yah, the big brother to boyfriend is going to cause a stir with the Cullen's Aunt Rosalie is likely not to take that bit of news lieing down...

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."