Jacob Black #2

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Re: Jacob Black #2

Post by una »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:They said it was a very difficult thing to stop phasing. The only thing that could make previous generations do it was their imprint, wanting to grow old with them. Since Nessie won't go old, Jacob will continue phasing.
I don't recall this comment/discussion Hofj, I thought because of the peace they found, the infrequency of vampires or when the Cullens left, is when they could stop phasing because they weren't needed. I thought it was the threat of danger to the tribe that could keep them or stop them from phasing.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

That would be the wolves as a population. When the threat leaves, so does the need for new wolves.

However, for an individual wolf to stop phasing is difficult, as mentioned in the discussion of Taha Aki and the third wife in Eclipse.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

I think that is an opinion rather than fact. Because when they find love they can stop phasing and grow old nothing is said that it is hard to do. But the topic was how was Jacob going to deal with being the same age together and its a discussion of that not only one persons opinion that matters but how readers think that Jacob will feel. I asked this as a voicing of opinions on the matter by reading the books and seeing Jacob as a character, this means everyone can contribute their own thoughts and opinions on the matter. I think Jacob used Edwards not growing old as another reason to tell Bella he was not natural or human, so in turn what does he think now does his negativity of immortaliy change because of Renesmee? I think its a good, fair topic that hasn't been kicked around yet.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

I don't recall this comment/discussion Hofj, I thought because of the peace they found, the infrequency of vampires or when the Cullens left, is when they could stop phasing because they weren't needed. I thought it was the threat of danger to the tribe that could keep them or stop them from phasing
Well, I believe that Jacob tells Bella that it's very difficult to stop phasing in New Moon, when he first explains the whole werewolf thing, sorry I said the wrong passage before. But y'all can check if you want, I don't have my copy of New Moon right now.

Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

Jacob does tell Bella that they can eventually age but it takes a lot of control and that not even Sam (who turned before Bella even moved to Forks) has that kind of control yet.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Thanks, I definitely thought I remembered that!

diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Check out Eclipse
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

diane771 wrote:I think that is an opinion rather than fact. Because when they find love they can stop phasing and grow old nothing is said that it is hard to do. But the topic was how was Jacob going to deal with being the same age together and its a discussion of that not only one persons opinion that matters but how readers think that Jacob will feel. I asked this as a voicing of opinions on the matter by reading the books and seeing Jacob as a character, this means everyone can contribute their own thoughts and opinions on the matter. I think Jacob used Edwards not growing old as another reason to tell Bella he was not natural or human, so in turn what does he think now does his negativity of immortaliy change because of Renesmee? I think its a good, fair topic that hasn't been kicked around yet.
I think Jacob just used Edward's immortality as an argument to get Bella to choose him instead, not really because of his affinity towards growing old like a normal human. And of course he would want to keep phasing if Renesmee doesn't age, he would want to live as long as she does. I mean, Bella wanted to become a vampire so she could be with Edward forever - I think at least the same feeling would apply to Jacob, since he imprinted on Renesmee. And even though his dad and sisters and other pack members (choosing to stop phasing and to age with their imprintees) would eventually die, his "in-laws" wouldn't, so he would still have a family of sorts.
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
elisemusta
Wandering Through Town

Post by elisemusta »

diane771 wrote:I think Jacob used Edwards not growing old as another reason to tell Bella he was not natural or human, so in turn what does he think now does his negativity of immortaliy change because of Renesmee? I think its a good, fair topic that hasn't been kicked around yet.
That is an interesting question Diane. Actually I think Jacob's point was not just that Edward was not aging or growing old, but more that he was "living dead" and Bella wanted to be one of those. I think there is a difference. Jacob is not aging but he is still more alive than vampires. And the biggest part was that Jacob thought vampires are bad monsters who hunt humans. Of course Cullens are different, but I don't think Jacob really thought they were much better at that point.

But anyway I don't think Jacob really have a choice there. Whatever he may has thought about immortality before, his choices have been made for him when he imprinted on Nessie. Inprinting took that problem away, a life with Nessie is more important for him than a normal life. He has to be everything Nessie needs and be with her. I don't think he can make a choice to start aging and finally die and leave Nessie that way.
Not bad for a prison break, eh?
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I agree, I think the pull of the imprinting will keep Jacob phasing as a means to keep immortal with Renesmee. We know that he cannot become a vampire as the venom is poisonous to them, however, if he never stops phasing, he can be with Renesmee forever. The need to protect his mate (sorry, imprintee) will keep Jacob phasing. I can't see him wanting to lose his ability to phase since it gives him the advantage and ability to be a good protector for her, even though I bet she can hold her own. Besides, I can't imagine Jacob wanting to leave her.

I think Jacob's view of vampires and such has changed through his interactions with the Cullen in Breaking Dawn and most strongly with his imprinting on Renesmee. It would be interesting to see how his views have changed since Renesemee does need blood to survive.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!