Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #3

Post by The Dark Knight »

diane771 wrote:I think she got bits and pieces, she was really cold and tired. She didn't want Edward to get upset because Jacob was in the sleeping bag and she knew that even if she told Jacob to shut up it would do no good because Edward would know what he was thinking anyway. So I think that she just drifted on and off.
That's kind of what happened but not what she got out of it...There are some really important things that she over heard that set the next day in motion...anyone?

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Are you talking about Jacob and her kissing and telling him she loved him? Because that to me was a very devious thing for Jacob to do and tell her he was planning on dying in battle. Jacob knew how to push buttons and he did unfairly, but since she was with Edward I don't think that Edward was wrong at all for talking to her about the proposal, he wanted to get her mind off of what was happening because she was so worried.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I think it was a literary device to help us understand Jacob and Edward's motivations and relationship.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Esme echo wrote:I think it was a literary device to help us understand Jacob and Edward's motivations and relationship.
It was, and I think it was very important that SM did that. At that point in Eclipse we needed to see what Edward and Jacob were thinking. I really liked that chapter.

I don't think Bella got much out of it that she didn't already know. She knew that Jacob loved her. I think it made her feel good to hear Edward say that he would be fighting for her too. I think she liked to see the two of them open up to each other and have a somewhat civil conversation. But I think it also made her feel bad, to hear all the pain that she was actually causing them and to hear that Edward was jealous.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
opulent
Learning to Love Green

Post by opulent »

Hmmm . . .I have been wondering about this scene ever since I first read the book, and I am still not sure what I think Bella got out of it. Most of it seems fairly obvious (at least to me; Bella has a tendency to sometimes overlook the obvious or think she is wrong). But I think that Edward was trying to do several things.

1. He shows how tortured he was over trying to decide what to do about leaving, staying, making her vamp, or leaving her human. (EC pg. 500-1)

2. He showcases Jacob's good points, so that Bella has a clear view of her choices (EC pg 502)

3. He lets her know that he will be in pain if she chooses Jacob, but that he would let her go. (EC pg 502)

All this considered, Bella probably realizes that she needs to make a choice, and soon. In fact, the first thing she notices when she wakes up is the pain in Edward's eyes. She realizes how badly this is hurting Edward, and I think all of these factors help her to choose, to realize what is most important to her.

I know this is all really disorganized. . .I am thinking of all of this as I am typing with the book open in my lap. . .
"Plus que ma propre vie."
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Look at all the things that Bella leaves the tent with...She know she loves them both. Edward is her path forward but she needs her best freind who tricks her into a kiss, way to go Jake, and she sees that both of them are fighting for her in every sense of the word...It's only a matter of time before one of them attacks the other...So she needs to commit to a path now for all concern...

I think that night in the tent makes the series... how about you?

opulent
Learning to Love Green

Post by opulent »

I would agree that she can see that both of them are fighting for her. Especially when they agree the truce is over at first light. I somewhat implied this before, but she definitely realizes that she has to choose after this, for both Edward and Jake's sakes. This makes her see the tensions between Edward and Jake clearly - I think the demonstration of growling in the morning when Edward threw Jake into the tent illustrates this aptly.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say that it makes the series, but I definitely think it is a pivotal scene that sets the dynamic for the rest of the series.
"Plus que ma propre vie."
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

So this begs the awkward discussion about the two timing Bella :evil: ...string both Edward and Jacob along by their crowbars… :o What do you all think of her actions in this regard? :oops:

holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

As much as I would LOVE to fault her for this, I can't.

She loved Edward the entire time. I really don't classify anything she did as cheating on him, because her love for him never, not once, faltered, and while some of her actions definitely strung Jacob along, she has a right to a best friend. There's no real reason she shouldn't have seen him.

What she needed to do was set better limits and boundaries around the relationships, for all of their sakes.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

holdingoutforjacob wrote:As much as I would LOVE to fault her for this, I can't.

She loved Edward the entire time. I really don't classify anything she did as cheating on him, because her love for him never, not once, faltered, and while some of her actions definitely strung Jacob along, she has a right to a best friend. There's no real reason she shouldn't have seen him.

What she needed to do was set better limits and boundaries around the relationships, for all of their sakes.

So you don't think she was playing both sides on this...it felt like she pitted the boys against each other so often that my head was spinning...