Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Fighting fate
Wandering Through Town

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #3

Post by Fighting fate »

Jazz Girl wrote:I think that, anytime you try to rank one person's feelings compared to the other, you are doing both of them a disservice. That being said, the idea that Bella's feelings, already as intense as a Cullens as a human, would be intensified even more by the transformation kind of makes sense. My thoughts of this are kind of jumbled, so I beg your forgiveness while I kind of unjumble them. Yes, I absolutely believe that Bella's feelings, even as "just a human", matched Edward's. They both loved each other beyond reason. Edward's assumption that he loved Bella more because he was a vampire, was exactly that, an assumption. He underestimated Bella's feelings and her reactions to and expressions of them because he always believed that everything about vampires was superior to that of humans. I don't know that I agree with his assumption. Yes, we know that vampires ability to process things, their intellect, is enhanced. But, I always saw that as a product of their enhanced physical capabilities. Thoughts, mental processes, are the product of synapses firing in the brain, chemical compounds crossing receptors etc. It stands to reason that, just like their physical abilities are enhanced by the transformation, so too are those other physical processes. Emotions, many believe, are very different things. Yes, there is a physiological component to them. But they are a phenomenon all their own. The movie Untamed Heart always captured it best for me, when Christian Slater's character asks, "if I don't actually love you with my heart, why does it hurt so bad right here when you're not with me?" Emotions cannot be understood solely through physiological processes.

Yes very jumbled indeed, being barley coherent when posting doesnt help, i wouldnt recomend it :?
well i think what i was trying to say is that bella's capacity for love seemed greater then that of a human's, when compared to a vampire, because they were always said to feel things much more intensely, but yet bellas feelings were just as great as edward's were. im not sure if that makes anymore sense lol. but what you said before about bella being more vampire then human and more cullen then vampire, it clears it up and makes alot more sense when put that way. And i can see how emotions are different then physical abilities, so id have to say i agree :D
I dont want you, i need you. I dont care for you, i love you. Ill be there for you, because of you. I wont kill for you, Ill live for you. Ill do anything for you~~NBB
Silvirain

Post by Silvirain »

Something I didn't understand was her shield. During the trial it was easy to keep her allies shielded, she said she could shape it around them so it moved when they moved. That makes since, but from my understanding it's just 1 shape that they are underneath. So when hand to hand combat was to start how was she going to shield her allies without some of the shield touching the enemies?
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Silvirain wrote:Something I didn't understand was her shield. During the trial it was easy to keep her allies shielded, she said she could shape it around them so it moved when they moved. That makes since, but from my understanding it's just 1 shape that they are underneath. So when hand to hand combat was to start how was she going to shield her allies without some of the shield touching the enemies?

Silvirain~ First, welcome to the Lex. We are always glad to have new folks join the discussion. As I understood it, yes, when she was practicing with Zafrena and Kate, the shield was a bit of a bubble, expanding in all directions to cover the people she was trying to protect. However, as she gained control, and specifically in the confrontation when her anger peaks as Edward steps towards Aro, she gains a new ability to shape it specifically to the people she is targeting only, shapes it to them almost as a second skin. Remember, Kate's gift works only if she is touching the person. But, she was able to shield Edward from that, but she was able to allow Garrett to feel the shock when in front of the Volturi. It was all a matter of control.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

Well said Caryn (I hope you all don't mind me just jumping in here!)

With her emotions being even more enchanced now, I think that is what is causing the problems with her being able to let Edward read her mind. I think that part of her sheild will take her a long time to really get a good hold on it, espicially when Edward touches her in anyway.
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
melissak334
Settled in Forks

Post by melissak334 »

As much as I love the books, I've always taken issue with the fact that Bella got into Dartmouth. It seemed a bit unrealistic. Having good grades at a public high school is very nice, but not exactly the stuff of a ticket to the Ivies. She had no extracurriculars, and most likely took her SATs during New Moon, though they were never mentioned. I know the Cullens have money, but cash alone won't buy you an acceptance letter.
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

melissak334 wrote:As much as I love the books, I've always taken issue with the fact that Bella got into Dartmouth. It seemed a bit unrealistic. Having good grades at a public high school is very nice, but not exactly the stuff of a ticket to the Ivies. She had no extracurriculars, and most likely took her SATs during New Moon, though they were never mentioned. I know the Cullens have money, but cash alone won't buy you an acceptance letter.

First, welcome Melissak334. I notice this is your first post with us. I hope you enjoy it here in our happy little cybercorner. Now, as for Bella's acceptance to Dartmouth, well, I don't know about that. That was always Bella's issue with Dartmouth, wasn't it? She knew that there was a substantial...errmm.... monetary contribution that assisted her along the path to admission. If the grades and the test scores are there, you'd be surprised what a relationship with a notable donor will get you in the university system, even in the Ivy Leagues.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Also something to think about it is that Edward sent the application in. Edward would have had no problem with doctoring up the app, the essay, adding whatever extracurricular activities he thought would help (they don’t necessarily have to be school related), and making sure that she got some good recommendations. Dr. Cullen would have given her a glowing recommendation, preceded by a very generous donation. I agree that her odds don’t appear to be very good on her own. With good grades and SAT scores, though, she would have at least been considered, and adding in Edward’s “adjustments” and the family money would have improved her prospects a lot. I’ve always thought that Carlisle must have given a lot of assistance on that in order to make sure that it happened.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

It's official. Apparently Bella is 18 forever, not 19 as Alice claimed she was.

I'm sure Bella is thrilled to have this dispute settled once and for all. :clap:
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

It's a bit early, I know. But, as my day tomorrow is quite full, I thought I would stop by and leave my absolute best wishes for Edward&Bella on their anniversay tomorrow. In the end, the one thing that matters is that they both said, "I do." :cry: (Sorry, I always cry at weddings.)
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Happy Birthday to Bella!