Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #3

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Heart_In_Hand you've obviously gotten some wonderful answers, but I thought I'd add mine.

The way I look at it is there are a few types of gifts. There are gifts that are involved with the outside world and not directly people - i.e. Benjamin and Alice. There are gifts that are purely physical, like Jasper - slowing blood pressure and literally calming a person down. If you read the passages where Jasper's gift is affecting Bella, you see that she still thinks in "upset mode" so to speak, but her physical reaction is much less. Then there are Zafrina and Jane and Alec and obviously, Edward, who simply directly attack the mind.

Kate's ability is weird, because it is described as her sending someone an electric shock, but apparently it's only in their heads? I don't know.

I wonder if the fact that Bella's shield doesn't work on Nessie has to do with the fact that what Nessie does doesn't change anything in your mind, it just shows you. She's not altering anything, she's just showing you something. Although I suppose then Zafrina's would work wouldn't it?

Or maybe it's simply because Bella's her mother, and she was quite literally a part of her.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

I also thought Kate's ability seemed more physical than mental, since she described "running a current" across her skin and that she had to touch someone for them to be affected. Also, it wasn't just one setting so to speak - she had different levels she could shock people with. I will have to think about that more, as it applies to Bella.

As for Renesmee's gift, she does exactly the opposite of both Bella and Edward. Bella keeps everyone out and no one keeps Renesmee out. Edward hears everyone's thoughts while Renesmee projects her own to everyone. She has some of her mom and some of her dad in her gifts. Perhaps when she matures, her gifts will as well. Would be interesting to see how they change...
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
Asheleyo

Post by Asheleyo »

I imagine she'd find a way to project it, just like Bella learns. And since Edward can hear every one, maybe she'll figure out how to project it so that she can make anyone around her hear her thoughts.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

I don't think every power can mature like Bella's... I think her, Kate, and Renata are the exceptions or else powers like Aro's would be way more powerful-- he would at least be able to use it without touching someone.
Asheleyo

Post by Asheleyo »

I asked this on the Edward and Bella thread:
asheleyo wrote:I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but I was wondering if anyone thought that Edward and Bella falling in love while Bella was human--really getting to know each other and fighting against the nature of vampire-human interactions--had a tangible effect on their love. What I really wondered is if anyone thinks that makes their love stronger than the normal vampire love. Is there something even more indestructible about their love than about the love between two grown vampires who meet and fall in love?
But what I wanted to address here is if the fact that Bella knew her love for Edward would be waiting for her on the other side of her transformation made the newborn process easier on her. Edward mentions that he thinks if Alice hadn't had the future sight to see Carlisle and Jasper then she might have gone completely wild. Well, I think maybe knowing that she would be fitting into the vampire world with her one true love made her less wild too. Edward and Renesmee both gave her a reason to be more sensible and rational, just like Carlisle and Jasper gave Alice a reason not to lose herself.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

I would add to those things that she hated blood so much, that she was so scared of becoming like that. I also think it has to do with having a purpose, being driven. Rosalie's never killed anyone except the men who killed her, remember? And that was because she hated what she was so much, and what they'd done to her. Carlisle loathed his new killing nature so much he was killing himself in order to not harm people, that's how he stumbled upon their way of life. Bella was so terrified of how bad she'd be in the beginning that I think that really helped her too.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Asheleyo

Post by Asheleyo »

I definitely agree that it was multiple factors. I don't think Jasper was really considering all the things on her mind as a new-born that could make her think about more than just thirst. Of course, being a narrative written in her voice, we know all those worries and so we know just how much she had riding on the transformation and how very many things kept her from wanting to be a typical new-born.

I just hadn't thought before about a pre-existing relationship impacting that very much until now.

Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Jasper told Bella that vampire venom was the only thing that scarred vampires. I wonder if the scar James gave Bella would still be visible after her transformation?

I just realized that Bella had practice holding her breath around blood while she was human. That must have been a factor in her ability to stop breathing and break off her hunt her first time out. Vampires are the product of their mortal condition, frozen in time, so to speak, so not breathing around blood-scent must have been a natural reaction in Bella.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Asheleyo

Post by Asheleyo »

Esme echo wrote:I just realized that Bella had practice holding her breath around blood while she was human. That must have been a factor in her ability to stop breathing and break off her hunt her first time out. Vampires are the product of their mortal condition, frozen in time, so to speak, so not breathing around blood-scent must have been a natural reaction in Bella.
The only reason I wouldn't agree with that is because the smell itself was completely different to her as a human than it is as a vampire. It smelled nauseating and metallic as a human. As a vampire it smells delicious and inviting. Hence an entirely different reaction.

Heart_in_Hand
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Heart_in_Hand »

Asheleyo wrote:
Esme echo wrote:I just realized that Bella had practice holding her breath around blood while she was human. That must have been a factor in her ability to stop breathing and break off her hunt her first time out. Vampires are the product of their mortal condition, frozen in time, so to speak, so not breathing around blood-scent must have been a natural reaction in Bella.
The only reason I wouldn't agree with that is because the smell itself was completely different to her as a human than it is as a vampire. It smelled nauseating and metallic as a human. As a vampire it smells delicious and inviting. Hence an entirely different reaction.
I don't know... I think I agree with Ash. Despite the difference in the smell to her, old habits are hard to break. ;)
"Don't be afraid. We belong together."

..."Forever."