Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

Edward Cullen #6

Post by Nena »

This is the place to discuss all the things you've wondered about Edward as an individual. Keep posts about Edward and Bella's relationship to the general discussion forum.

Edward and Bella's relationship discussion found here.

Please remember the Discussion Guidelines. Posts will be edited or deleted as needed at the moderators' discretion without warning.

This is a serious discussion forum. Consider your posts thoughtfully. This is also not a debate forum. We are here to discuss in depth the characters of Twilight.

I'm going to address a few problems we had in the last threads. First of all, stay on topic. I know that sometimes discussions drift off a specific character. When this happens move the discussion to the appropriate character's thread and bring the discussion back to Edward. As long as the discussion involves Edward we'll let it stay since it is hard to discuss Edward without discussing Bella, but the main point of the discussion needs to be about Edward.

Also, varying opinions are welcomed. They make discussions interesting. However, it is not acceptable to say or imply that someone else's opinion is wrong. It's their opinion. If someone disagrees with you, you don't have to continue to argue with them. Sometimes we all have to step back and agree to disagree. The bickering and spats got a bit extreme in the past. Bullies and general meanness will not be tolerated. Be civil to one another please.

Contact a mod when this thread reaches 100 pages. You don't have to stop posting at 100 pages, just make sure a mod is contacted.

Previous Edward threads:

Edward Cullen #2
Edward Cullen #3
Edward Cullen #4
Edward Cullen #5

Lex Odyssey Question #9
What does Edward give Bella when she has her “slumber party” with Alice?

a) a ring --> page 22, post 3, line 5, word 8
b) a bed --> page 38, post 1, line 14, word 14
c) a heart charm --> page 13, post 4, line 3, word 7
d) a car stereo --> page 3, post 6, line 4, word 1
e) pajamas --> page 7, post 2, line 5, word 25
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

Re: Edward Cullen #6

Post by Nena »

For all of you that decide to skip the first post and ignore the rules of this thread, I want to emphasize the following:

Varying opinions are welcomed. They make discussions interesting. However, it is not acceptable to say or imply that someone else's opinion is wrong. It's their opinion. If someone disagrees with you, you don't have to continue to argue with them. Sometimes we all have to step back and agree to disagree. The bickering and spats got a bit extreme in the past. Bullies and general meanness will not be tolerated. Be civil to one another please.

December is not longer going to be babysitting you or trying to sort out your little quarrels. The will be no warnings or friendly reminder of the rules. From now on, if you decide to get on each others nerves, you will be sent to the moderation queue. This means that each post you make in any thread will have to be approved by an administrator before it can be viewed by others in the forum.
If I am not clear, send me pm.

Nena

ps: This also applies for the other threads in this forum where you guys like to hang out. You know who you are.
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

Thanks Nena...For the shinny new thread

Bring this one forward form the previous discussion

New thread?

Can we hop back to this quote as it pertains to Edward character?

What make a man who he is? Is it the worst things he has ever done or the best things he wants to be. When you find yourself in the middle of your life and you are nowhere near where you where going. How do you find a way from the person you have become to the one you could have been.

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Post by Alphie »

I don't think that it's exactly the best or worst thing that has happened to a person that makes them what they are. I think it's how that person responds and reacts to said situation defines them as a individual. And what's to say that the worst thing that happens to you isn't also the best thing? It could be argued that Bella Swan walking into biology class was the worst thing that Edward ever had to face. The temptation to kill her and the rest of the school - the way he divided up his family for a while - the harsh reminder of what he was - none of those things were exactly pleasant. However in the long term it could be called the best thing that ever happened to him to find his mate and to learn that he is worthy of love.

I think what defines Edward is his ability to resist his basic urges - both as a vampire and as a man - to honor Bella's humanity and her morality. I think his devotion to his family and to humanity as a whole speaks volumes. And then there is also to touch of the belief that he himself is a monster that defines him. So there is good and bad in his general personal definition.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

I don't think a person reaches their full potential as a person until they have experienced great happiness and great pain, and great struggle. I think Bella completed Edward in the sense that she brought him great happiness, great pain, and certainly great struggle.

What defines Edward, I think, is his integrity. Clearly, he sticks to his principles and morales.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Post by Alphie »

I totally agree with you, HofJ. It's one of the many reasons I think it was a valid choice to have Edward leave Bella in New Moon. She wouldn't be who she is if she hadn't gone through that pain. Same for Edward. He wouldn't be the same if he hadn't been separated from her.

And his integrity is unparalleled. Thanks for the wording on that. I kept searching my brain for the right word and I missed it, but you nailed it! So I agree on both points.
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

I can see your points but there are other things that define Edward that can bee said as his low point. Here are a few of them, His rebellious year as a murderer, his prejudice toward the wolf pack and distain toward humanity as a whole. These define him as well. It comes down to point of view.

From my perspective Bella is a defining moment, his crucible if you will, that point where he can slide into being the monster he was or rise above it to be the person he wants to be. The choice of the high road or the low road. I think this is the compelling reason that many love Edward...

Just something’s to chew on...

holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Hmm, I think you're right about his low points, and I can add a few. But I would say that everyone has a defining strength and a defining flaw. Some people have multiple.

Edward's defining flaw, I think, is his arrogance. He feels he knows everything, he doesn't feel the need to investigate the situation. Note, however, that this only takes place in "people situations." It's curious to me that for someone who is so willing to learn in the academic sense, someone who clearly understands how much knowledge is out there and that there's always more to a subject than you'd think, is able to have the flaws he has, such as his prejudice against the wolf pack.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Hmm, I think you're right about his low points, and I can add a few. But I would say that everyone has a defining strength and a defining flaw. Some people have multiple.

Edward's defining flaw, I think, is his arrogance. He feels he knows everything, he doesn't feel the need to investigate the situation. Note, however, that this only takes place in "people situations." It's curious to me that for someone who is so willing to learn in the academic sense, someone who clearly understands how much knowledge is out there and that there's always more to a subject than you'd think, is able to have the flaws he has, such as his prejudice against the wolf pack.
Ok, He is arrogant but that is the mask of his real flaw....Fear

moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

Ermm.. Mostly I think he's just arrogant. I don't think it's a mask for anything. It just is. hehe.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet