Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
~*teamswitzerland*~
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Alistair

Post by ~*teamswitzerland*~ »

Oh lol modern figures! forgot u said "modern" when I put "maybe a character from Hamlet" LOL!
Taylor Lautner. (drool.) That is all. :)
DudeRocksTheTwilight
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: Chugging the postahol. On MSN, most likely. Tieing Sarah in thunderball.

Post by DudeRocksTheTwilight »

who_needs_fangs? wrote: What modern literary figures remind you of Alistair?
Maybe Hermione from Harry Potter? She's more courageous, but she does have a strong respect for authority. Definitely not misanthropic though, as she is human. :D lol. I can't picture her running from a fight her friends were in, but if it was against the Hogwarts teachers for example she might.
Al Puccini of the Mafia, Santiago of Volturi, Major Peter of JCA, EDC Bulldozer Trainee, APPC Host Jenni - TwiGirl
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

we didnt see a lot of him, but what we did see sent me into LOL mode! he was a really intriguing (really hope i spelled that right) character i was kinda sad when he left! :( ;)
Betting on Alice.
olorin
Settled in Forks

Post by olorin »

OK, here is an idea that's been going through my head for a while.
Please keep an open mind and hear it all before you judge. Throw away your preconceived notions. ;)

I think Alistair and Tanya would make a perfect match.

To me Alistair is like an older version of Edward, after losing his family and a few centuries of "justified" human hunting.
I imagine Alistair has a reverence for the idea of innocence and he tries to use his gift to hunt only human monsters just like Edward did. (maybe he was a skilled detective in his human life, like Sherlock Holmes :? , tracking down a real vampire, just like Carlisle)
And that's why he has such admiration for Carlisle, because of his pure uncompromising innocence.
Maybe they met in England while Carlisle was still very young and looking for a friend. (I doubt they would have become friends after Carlisle spent a few decades with the Volturi)
But Alistair can't share his blind faith and his fierce determination to lead a good life.
That's why staying with Carlisle makes him uncomfortable, guilty or even depressed.
Maybe he even fears to corrupt Carlisle with his own presence, and that's why he keeps his distance.

Maybe Alistair lost his family/coven to the Volturi justice the way Tanya lost her mother, and maybe he blames himself for that. (Maybe he found evidence of the Volturi corruption, and his family got punished for that :? ) It would explain his terror and suspicion of the Volturi, and also why Bella perceives him as misanthropic. He is pragmatical, mistrusting, hopeless, grieving, self-loathing and unwilling to form a bond with anyone again.

Now what if Alistair didn't leave the Cullens before the fight out of cowardice.
What if he actually went to Volterra, to use this one and only chance to search Aro's personal archives,
trying to find out what really happened with his family and also uncovering the truth about Tanya's mother in the process.
Maybe she was innocent or at least explained her motives.
I can imagine Alistair and Tanya bonding over that, especially now with Irina dead and Kate having just found Garrett.
And I think Tanya might enjoy the challenge, since she couldn't seduce Edward.
I think people, especially vampires, don't become misanthropic, unless they have a very decent heart, that's been hurt too much. (who would want to turn a misanthropic and mistrusting human :? )
And I can see Tanya changing him the way Bella and Nessie have changed Edward.

Also think what this could mean for the Cullens, having a gifted tracker in the family. (extended though)
No more enemies hiding around, like with Victoria creating her army in Seattle.
And they will be able to find all their friends much more quickly the next time they need to gather.

Now I know many of you see him as an ugly old grouch. (like Mad-Eye)
But he was never really physically described, whether he is beautiful or not,
and wouldn't it be ironic if Bella found an older version of Edward so little to her liking? :D
I mean comparing Alistairs muttering to Midnight Sun, it's almost like Edward is speaking his mind for a change. :D And sulking in the attic was exactly what Edward did in New Moon. :lol:

Now don't say "some things cannot be heard". 8-)
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I liken Alistair to Marcus. What if he lost his mate and this is how he is now because he took revenge on those that killed her and is no unable to kill himself? Or, what if the Volturi killed his mate and he is unable to exact his revenge? Alistair is another face of what happens to a vampire that continues to live on without their mate (like Marcus). Most "regular" vamp covens are two to three members...what if his mate was the only other member of their coven, leaving him alone?

Just another thought...
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
olorin
Settled in Forks

Post by olorin »

Maybe :? , but if he lost his mate to the Volturi, he would be furious with them more than terrified.
He would have stayed hoping for a fight like the Romanians.
It wouldn't explain why his curiosity about the Volturi corruption is more potent than his fear,
or why his fear is more potent than his friendship with Carlisle. (why would he care about staying alive or anything else if he lost his mate?)
It also wouldn't explain why he counts Carlisle as his closest acquaintance of all people,
or why staying with Carlisle doesn't help with his pain a little, like with Marcus staying with the Volturi.
Also Alistair has a powerful gift, which makes it more likely for him to become part of a larger coven in the beginning, a coven that would attract the attention of the Volturi so close to Volterra.
Nah, I like my idea better. :)
una
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Ha...

The point of this thread is for discussion...not for convincing others of your point of view. I enjoyed yours and offered mine. However, with your few points (and at the time I was typing, my seven month old kept trying to grab the power cord...I had to cut my response a little short) I have more to ponder. I found Alistair quite intriguing. What if he was part of a powerful coven that was part of those wars that Jasper talked about in Eclipse? What if he lost his mate due to Volturri justice? The Volturri are quite power and capable of severing ties.... It would explain his fear of the Volturri and why the loss of his mate makes him to be the way he is? He seems so afraid of creating bonds - which would, if the Volturri destroyed the coven he was in, would explain much. I don't recall him having a special talent...I'm due to reread Breaking Dawn anyway...
olorin
Settled in Forks

Post by olorin »

Sorry, Sorry! I didn't mean to sound convincing. I was honestly trying to picture your idea and couldn't. (maybe not hard enough :oops: ) I have no problem with you making your own picture, I like it. ;)
una wrote:What if he was part of a powerful coven that was part of those wars that Jasper talked about in Eclipse? What if he lost his mate due to Volturri justice? The Volturri are quite power and capable of severing ties....

Yes, he could have lost his mate in a big commotion with some other enemies (not the southern wars in Mexico, as he is from England, but maybe some "real" werewolves attacked his coven), and then the Volturi scooped in killing everyone else and trying to make him join them. That could make him suspicious of the Volturi, as they stole his revenge, and care enough about their corruption. Maybe Carlisle told him things of the Volturi, that increased his suspicion, but also made him grateful to Carlisle.
Hmm, definitely possible.
Still we have seen 5 vamps who lost their mates so far
(Victoria, Edward, Marcus, Irina, Bree and maybe the Romanians)
and they were all either furiously crazy, suicidal or emotionally dead.
None of them cared enough anymore to feal terrified. (except Bree maybe :? )

una wrote:I don't recall him having a special talent
He is a gifted tracker just like James, (with an elusive pull toward his target) which is why I think being a vampire detective, having a conscience and going after human monsters and the Volturi corruption, seems very fitting. Carlisle wouldn't like him much, if he used his gift like James.
una

Post by una »

Very intriguing...I am enjoying your theory!

You have a point when it comes to the loss of mates. Edward became a hermit, wrapped up and lost until he thought Bella was dead and he went to die. Marcus is bored and only seem to continue on (I'm sure with help from some of the Volturri's talented guards). Irina and Victoria went for revenge... Then there is Bree who was so young... Plus we aren't sure that they were in fact mates...maybe maybe not. It would give us another perspective of mates if Alistair lost his and this is how he copes. Unless he didn't have a mate and, going along with your theory, was part of a coven that the Volturri destroyed...

I think it is his attitude and his mysteriousness that is so intriguing. We don't know much of the backgrounds of the witnesses, and yet his is the most fascinating to ponder for me.
olorin
Settled in Forks

Post by olorin »

The only thing, that bugs me of the Alistair+Tanya picture is, that he might miss England,
and that his nature as a tracker would make him pretty restless, so it would be hard for him to settle permanently.
But then again, the same could be said for Garrett. So maybe, once the dust of their love settles, then
Alistair and Garrett could go off together every now and then on some obscure adventure (like Laurent :evil: ),
while the sisters like to stay at home enjoying their family. Edward said, that too many living together would get too noticeable.

Back on the subject of mates again. (sorry, I know it's a tiresome discussion, just one more try to understand)
From what we've seen in Midnight Sun (when Edward watches Bella sleep for the first time) vampires falling in love
is instantaneous, totally consuming and absolutely permanent. Though it can only happen if the vampire lets down all guard completely, which goes against every instinct, especially for a Newborn. Edward tried to fight it with sheer will-power and made it for almost a month.
And Bree had no choice, but to put down her guard in that tiny cave. And then it crushed her, when she saw
Diego under the sun. And just like with Carlisle+Esme, it wouldn't have mattered if she knew him for a day or a million years. (as Edward puts it) She would have loved Diego exactly the same way.
Only their friendship, dependency and understanding of each other would have intensified over time, but that is nothing compared to their love.

And that's why Irina couldn't think straight when it came to Laurent, even after knowing him only a year.
She probably blamed Bella for stumbling around in the woods with her scent, while her love was suffering
from his thirst. But she was somehow willing to bite down her bile, to go apologize to Carlisle, only to
find Bella with a werewolve and an immortal child playing in the woods, worse than her worst nightmare.
Of course she had no choice, but to turn Bella in.
She was trying to protect her sisters by keeping them out of this, just like her mother did so long ago.
And maybe she was hoping to save the Cullens too, if they were smart enough to abandon that monster Bella.
She was totally ignorant, just like Rosalie in the beginning, not able to accept that Edward truly loved Bella.
She had sex with humans for centuries, never imagining to love anyone, like she loved Laurent.
Bella must have bewitched Edward and the Cullens with her scent and gift somehow,
and surely Aro, Carlisles old friend, would somehow find a way to save them from her.

A totally messed up situation. :cry:
Damn you ,Laurent , to the deepest pit of hell where you belong.