A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 9 ~ Theory

Post by Alphie »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?
Jenny
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 9 ~ Theory

Post by Jenny »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?

It's a tie between these 2 from Edward: 1) I hear voices in my head and you're worried that you're the freak? & 2) You were right - I'm definitely fighting fate trying to keep you alive.

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?

Nope.

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?

I think she realizes he's not a monster and that she fell in love with him so his "faults" don't matter.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.

Embarassment and hurt.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?

I think she started falling in love with him when he helped her after the Biology finger pricks and then when he rescued her from the thugs, it all fell into place.
xx mycoldangel xx
Settled in Forks

Post by xx mycoldangel xx »

I'd have to say the part where Edward tells her that maybe her mind is on AM frequency and everyone else is on FM and she freaks out and is like "I'm a freak!" and he goes "I hear voices in my mind and you're worried you're the freak" i thought it was cute and funny.

Maybe, but not totally. I think she is more embaressed that she did. She'll regret it later.

Because she realized that she can't change what he is, so she shouldn't care. And also, because she is so stubborn that she won't be turned away from him just because he's not human.

I think she was angry at herself for how much a small comment hurt her. Or maybe she was angry that edward could be so stupid.

I think it was when he saved her or before that, when they had their first conversation.
little-freak
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by little-freak »

"i hear voices in my mind and you're worried you are the freak?" he is so right ...and cute :D

"holy crow! slow down!"
"What's wrong?"
"You're going a hundred miles an hour?"
i just laughed when i read this...a hundred miles an hour? girl, how slow is your father driving?!?!
to be honest...my father is an ingeneer so i'm used do 120 miles per hour...

she regets using him but she really needed that information (and i think jacob would have told her the stories anyway)

it doesn't matter to her that he's a vampire. she just doesn't think of him as a monster, because he is a "vegetarian" and because she's in love with him!

i'm crying when i'm angry too...so i think it's embarassment

i don't know...she was fascinated by him from the beginning...maybe she actually fell in love as he saved her from the van...or as she started dreaming of him
Alice's Party Planning Committee: V.I.P.-Guest
Team Alice- Because sometimes it is better to be small.

Image Image
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

I liked when Bella says, "Are you trying to kill us?" because well...it's just Ironic.

I do think Bella has too much of a conscience to not have felt bad for leading him on.

She's developed feelings for Edward for who he is. It doesn't matter what he is, where he came from or whatever. She likes him for him.

I think it was just emotions getting the best of her. She's realizing how strong her feelings are, how hard this match could be, etc, etc.

I think that in the time between Port Angeles and this chapter, she fell head over heels. I know I would have. :)
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
gordonfan08
Wandering Through Town

Post by gordonfan08 »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why? I like his response about the radio frequencies.

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him? I think she feels a little guilty and worries that it could come back to bit her.

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella? Because Bella doesn't see Edward as anything other than the boy she loves.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry. I think Bella is embarrassed and hurt also.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward? I think she felt something for him the first time she saw him, but the feelings were solidified when he saved her from being crushed by the van. He risked everthing in that moment, for her, and the brevity of that stole her heart completely.
TwiguyEC
Settled in Forks

Post by TwiguyEC »

"I hear voices in my mind and you're worried you are the freak?" This kind of sums up Bella's thinking in this one line lol.
I think she feels a little bad, but doesn't regret it no.
She loves him for who he is, not what he is. Its true love... thats all there is to it.
I think she cries because Edward so vehemently refuses the fact that its too late. I think this made her angry and sad at the same time.
I think she was attracted to him in the very beginning. I can't exactly pin point a spot. I don't think it was love at first sight, but maybe when she first saw him in biology and saw the anger rolling off him in waves this enticed her to find out more. Then when he first talked to her I think by that time she was "unconditionally and irrevocably in love".
The smell of her blood saturated every particle of air in the tiny, hot room. My throat burst into flames.
-Edward Cullen, Midnight Sun
deven
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by deven »

that her mind is on a different frequency. lol. i thought that was halarious!

no.

because she is so drawn to him that she almost physically cant stay away from him so it doesnt matter what he is.

i think she is embarrassed

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward
probably when he saved her for the second time she knew for sure but she liked him when she first saw him
.I<3BDB.I<3Oli sykes!+Randomness Regular+Concert Addict
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I loved the banter - but none of it cracked me up. I wish there was a LOL moment for me, because I think Stephenie Meyer is acle to deliver quite hysterical moments make me burst into out loud laughture!

I don't think Bella regret's flirting with Jacob, but I do think she feels a little bad and a little guilty for leading him on.

(good question) It dosen't matter to Bella because she has chosen to love Edward unconditionally. She also feels safe with him. If I felt that kind of love, I would hope any "difference" wouldn't matter to me either.

She cried? Really? ***goes to look at the book*** okay... I remember it now. I think Bella cried because she loves Edward, wants his love in return... and frankly is human and has human emotions. I don't think she was sad or angry, just emotional.

(another good question!) I think that if Bella was to be totally honest with herself, I think she loved Edwart at first sight. I think this because she took extra special notice of him that first day. After that she was concerned that he was out of school. I think she "fell unconditionally and irrevocably in love" when she knew in her heart what he was and that it didn't matter. Funny thing, I think it was when she was reaserching on the internet. Even though nothing fit perfectly for her, I think that's when she knew in her heart what he was.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

"It doesn't matter to me what you are" (Bella)

I don't think she regrets getting the information because it allows her and Edward to be honest with each other, but I do think she regrets having to flirt with him to get the information.

It doesn't matter to Bella because "it's too late" for her to go backwards in her feelings for Edward. She is already so head over heels for him that she would rather take her chances with a vampire than ever settle for anyone else.

I think she is tearing up because Edward tells her "it's never too late" when it is clearly already too late for her. I think this gives Bella the impression that Edward doesn't feel as strongly for her as she does for him. I also think she might be worried that he could quit seeing her at any moment, deciding it to be safer for her, instead of letting her ultimately make the decision.

I honestly think it was nearly love at first sight between Bella and Edward. She hasn't been able to put Edward out of her mind since they first met. It got worse after the accident, and worse yet after he started being kinder at school. I think Edward picking her up from Port Angeles just sealed the deal.