A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 9 ~ Theory

Post by April Allen »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?
When Bella admits that she flirted with Jacob, I was sure Edward was gonna say something funny about it. And he did.

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?
No.

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?
Because she's in love with him. That's one of the things about love.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
I think she feels rejected. She's starting to realize that she's in love with him, but Edward just keeps telling that this is a mistake.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?
When he saved her in the alley. Later she tells him something like: "It doesn't matter to me what you are. It's too late." That sounded to me like: "I'm already in love with you."
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?
Yes b/c she isn't attractive to Jacob at this point and she doesn't want to lead him on.
3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?
Bella knows Edward is a good person so everything that he tells her doesn't matter for example how he is a monster, how he killed before.
4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?[color=#000000[/color]
Banner by TammyAZ
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

"I fall down a lot when I run" lol.. Knowing you're in danger and can't run away because you're clumsy..

ehh no. I think she feels more embarresed about it. Mostly because she thinks she just so plain.

She's already fallenin love with him! Love makes you blind, or rather not care. It's hard to see flaws in people when you're "blinded by the light" lol

The unfairness! Edward is telling her how deeply and stuff that he cares for her, but when she is doing the same he basically is telling her to stop. Rejection.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?
The first moment she saw him! I believe Bella and Edward experienced love at first sight.. without even realizing it. Edward had seen her face all day in the heads of other students, but it wasn't until he actually saw her in the lunchroom that he thought of her more than just another student. They were both so engrossed with each other.. But if I had to pinpoint it more.. it was probably when she was in the forest and realized it didn't matter what he was.. she was already in love with him
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

“if you turn us into a Volvo pretzel around a tree trunk, you can probably just walk away.”
"You accuse me of dazzling people... poor Jacob Black"
And:
"'My mind doesn't work right? I'm a freak?' The words bothered me more than they should - probably because his speculation hit home. I'd always suspected as much, and it embarrassed me to have it confirmed."

I don’t think so. I believe that she didn’t realise that he was taking this so seriously until he come visited her with Billy the first time… She’s shy to have to admit it to Edward and somehow know that Jacob have broke a treaty and try to protect him.

It doesn’t matter that he’s a vampire. It’s doesn’t matter that he can be a treat, he saved her so many time before…

The fact that she still feels he’s giving hint that their relation is wrong and shouldn’t be…

I think it was really at the beginning. She was obsessed by him, searching him when he wasn’t there, hoping for him and wishing for his presence… At this moment, she only put words on her need of him.

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

"How long have you been seventeen?" "A while".
I found this the first 'real' hint where Edward admitted to be 'not human'.
(I read the books in Dutch, so to the rest of you, the quote might seem a bit off ;))

No, I think she is glad she did, because she hears the truth now.

Because she is already in love with Edward. And not just in love, but a very much deeper feeling even.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears given that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
She feels that he is trying to keep distance and she doesn't want that.

From the first moment she saw him. She was obsessed from the start, so she must have been (knowing or not knowing) in love with him already.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

"I hear voices in my head and you're worried that you're the freak?" ~Edward
“if you turn us into a Volvo pretzel around a tree trunk, you can probably just walk away.” ~Bella

I :lol: so hard at those.

Mmm, maybe a little. But at the same time she has other things going through her head at this point it was probably the last thing that crossed her mind.

Because by the time she realizes what Edward is, she has already admitted to herself she has fallen for him deeply. That is what true love does to someone.

She is seeing its unfairness. Edward is telling her how deeply he cares for her and wants to protect her, but when she tries to say the same thing he is pretty much slapping her in the face saying; "No, you can't feel the same way as I do." That is frustrating enough in itself.

At the restaurant in Port Angeles. She knew then that Edward cared for her and showed it by getting her away from those creeps. It is also when Edward admits he is a Vampire, which shows trust. This, to me, is where it clicked for Bella.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
Idril
Settled in Forks

Post by Idril »

AyaDiefair wrote:"I hear voices in my head and you're worried that you're the freak?" ~Edward
“if you turn us into a Volvo pretzel around a tree trunk, you can probably just walk away.” ~Bella

These are the best in my honest opinion because it points out more of Bella & Edward's personalities and the facts of how they have viewed themselves.

No I don't think so

I believe that she has taken care of her mom so much, worrying about her mom rather than herself, to the point of many disappointments in her young life and "it doesn't matter" to her anymore as she doesn't believe that she will ever get what she truly wants in life since she has always put her mom (& others) before herself.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears given that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
When someone tells you that they love you yet when they can't believe that you love them as much or more, its hard to accept that. I am like Bella in this way, I usually only cry when angry.

When he rescued her from the thugs in Port Angeles; Edward also ignores the obvious advances of the waitress giving her the 'cold shoulder' and trusts Bella with the truth of what he is, how he feels about her.
Lady Idril
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

I like when Edward said that he thinks that Bella's mind is working on the AM radio and he is only getting FM. I also like when he asked her if she was crying and she said no. That was sweet.

Yeah but she had to get that information. I thought she worried about what Edward would do to Jacob now that he knows Jacob told her about his family.

Whatever Edward is doesn't matter to Bella since she is so attached to him.

I think she is hurt because she just made herself vulnerable by saying "i didn't like not seeing you for days" and Edward just said "This is wrong. I don't want to ever heard you say that." I agree with the previous comments that she was under the impression that he didn't feel that strong about her.

I think it was love at first sight.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

"I hear voices in my mind, and you're worried you're the freak?"

I think she might have been a little embarrassed, since she had to tell Edward how she got the information, and she was scared of looking bad in front of him. However, I think that in general, she was glad that she managed to get that story, regardless of how.

Because Bella knew from the very beginning that there was something different about Edward, and when she found out what it was, her feelings for him overshadowed any type of fear that she could've had.

I think she is frustrated because Edward didn't seem to be returning her feelings for him. There was finally some progress in their relationship, and Edward was trying to pull it away from her.

Probably when he saved her a second time, and then took her out to dinner. He showed a lot of concern for her at the restaurant, so it might have made her feel more affection for him than before.
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

"I hear voices in my head and you're worried you're the freak?"
-The moment was so tense and then this cracked me up.

"How long have you been seventeen?" "A while."
-It's that first moment where he starts to admit things beyond the mind reading.

Yes. She does feel that Jacob is a nice guy who she took advantage of.

Because she doesn't feel like she can turn back. That door has been opened and she is willing to accept whatever is behind it. Her feelings for him can't be taken back, and so in that sense the choice has already been made.

Anger, actually. She is angry that he isn't seeing things the way she is. She is angry that he considers anything between them wrong and dangerous. She is angry that he won't accept the fact that she is willing to risk her own safety for to be with him.

Is there ever just one point? She felt a draw to him almost right away, but the falling in love happened over time. And the knight in shining armor aspect and the mystery element couldn't have hurt.