A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Megsimadic
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 9 ~ Theory

Post by Megsimadic »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?
"And you accused me of dazzling people! Poor Jacob Black"
I just love this as we see Bella through Edwards eyes in this.

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?
I think she is because she did like him as a friend but doesnt want more than that

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?
Because her mind is already set on what she wants.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
She's worried that its rejection, she doesnt want to get her answers then lose him.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?
I think the whole "saving my life" would have got me, and as this is the second, techinically third time Edward has saved her, I think Bella is so amazed and so curious at the same time that it was bound to turn into love at that point.
My Youtube - My Livejournal
Private Meg Shinigami of Jasper's Confederate Army

Team Jasper:He is my happy hormone
Team Alice: Because Im short and annoying too!
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?
I didn't really have a whole lot from this chapter but I'd probably have to say that the best one is where they are talking about Edward being a mind - reader and how he can't pick up on Bella ans she's thinks she is a freak and Edward says " I hear voices in my head and you think you're the freak?" I like it because I think we are all like that to an extent. People can have the weirdest things to them but we all think we each are the freaks. I just think that it is totally relate-able.

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?
Yes and no. I don't think she regrets discovering the information but she doesn't want Jacob to get the wrong idea.

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?
Because Bella is the type of person who will love someone regardless of who - or in this case - what they are.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears given that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.

She's in love with him and she doesn't think he is in love with her.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?
I think it all goes back to the beginning....not necessarily to the classroom where he stays away from her but when he saves her from being squished, she realizes there is something there. Then when he saves her again from the thugs, she really realizes it and in talking to Edward at the restaurant he doesn't take his eyes off of Bella...I think in that talk at the restaurant and the drive back to Forks is where she really realizes that there is something there.
jasperhale003
Settled in Forks

Post by jasperhale003 »

The part where Edward is going a hundred miles a hour and Bella is freaking out.

I think that she regrets it because she is embarrassed about it.

Because she is in love with Edward, and she thinks of him as an angel.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.

I think its becaue shes angy that she cant be with Edward.

When she found out he was a vampire.
ImageImage
Elsbyth
Settled in Forks

Post by Elsbyth »

"How old are you?"
"Seventeen," he answered promptly.
"And how long have you been seventeen?"
His lips twitched as he stared at the road. "A while," he admitted at last.

This may be my favorite because of the trailer. But I still remember liking it from my first reading.

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him? I think that Bella is unaware of what power she might possess over Jacob. And if she is aware of it, it goes against her nature to lie or be deceitful, therefore I think she might regret manipulating Jacob.

She loves him. ALL of him. No matter what or who he is.

I think she is honestly upset with herself for what she believes are unrequited feelings. How could she be so stupid and unrealistic to fall for the living emobodiment of perfection - are probably her main thoughts and they remain in the back of her mind until BD when she becomes a Cullen.

The day in the cafeteria when he told her that if he was going to hell he might as well do it thoroughly. Where she might not have understood it only a mental level, she got it in her heart.
Melarian
Settled in Forks

Post by Melarian »

I liked the part with the built-in radar detector. Bella behaves as if there wasn't anything to be afraid of except for Edward's driving which is the thing she should be least worried about.

Yes, I think she regrets it partly because she is ashamed of herself for using that kind of method to reach her goal and partly because she doesn't want to give Jake a wrong impression about their relationship.

Because she has already made her desicion and will see it through. It doesn't matter because as Bella points out it is already too late to go back.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears given that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
I guess she is angry with Edward for not taking her seriously. She has just confessed to loving him no matter what the circumstances and he thinks she is crazy for wanting to be with him. This rejection probably made her sad and angry at the same time and led to her tears.

Hard to say. I guess it was somewhere right at the beginning. Maybe the day they did blood typing at school or even earlier.
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

dnt have my book to reference from

yes

because she loves him..duh!

she's fusterated
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
MoonlitRose
Wandering Through Town

Post by MoonlitRose »

My favorite is on page 191.

"Tell me something," he asked after another minute, and I could hear him struggle to use a lighter tone.

"Yes?"

"What were you thinking tonight, just before I came around the corner? I couldn't understand your expression--you didn't look that scared, you looked like you were concentrating very hard on something."

"I was trying to remember how to incapacitate an attacker--you know, self-defense. I was going to smash his nose into his brain." I thought of the dark-haired man with a surge of hate.

"You were going to fight them?" This upset him. "Didn't you think about running?"

"I fall down a lot when I run," I admitted.

"What about screaming for help?"

"I was getting to that part."

The last line didn't make me laugh, but I smiled. I could relate to that last line, because it's something I've said a few times after not thinking things completely through. :lol:

No, I don't think she regrets it at all. She might feel bad for poor Jake, because she lead him on, but it got her what she wanted.

It doesn't matter to Bella because, as she said, it's too late. She's already in love with him at this point, and true love is unconditional. Nothing matters except that person.

She probably feels mostly anger, but a little bit of rejection too.

Oh, gosh, I have no clue. I would say it's more like love-at-first-sight for them, but I don't believe in love-at-first-sight. It's difficult to pin-point the exact time where Bella fell in love with Edward.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why? This is one of my favorite chapters!!!! I have a few favorites- "I hear voices in my mind and your'e worried that you're the freak." "Holy crow!!"- I've never heard that before! My favorite, though, is when Bella says, "But I didn't know where YOU were. I didn't like it, not seeing you. It makes me anxious, too." It just reminds me of being in that first stage of a relationship, where you can't wait to see the other person.

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him? I think maybe, yes, because she is in love with Edward, and maybe Jacob might take her flirting the wrong way, and she wouldn't want to lead him on.

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella? You know, I didn't catch the "why" the first 2 times I read the book!! It doesn't matter to Bella because after she realized she loves Edward and then found out what he was, she realized that the only way to be with him was to become a vampire herself. It took my 3rd read-through to realize what she meant when she said that it was too late, she'd already made her decision... and that's why she was so curious about the why's and what's of becoming a vampire.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry. I think that she was hurt when Edward told her to never say it's too late. I think she knew deep-down that this was going to be very difficult, staying with Edward as a human.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?Just throughout the conversation, when he said how tormented he was being away from her during his hunting trip; the fact that he was hunting the strongest blood next to human blood just so he could be around her showed her how much he cared for her safety while being with him.
Krystal
Lured By the Scent

Post by Krystal »

I don't have my book with me right now..

Yes, I sort of think that she regrets it, because Jacob took it the wrong way, and this is when the whole thing with Jacob starts.

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella? It doesn't matter to Bella anymore because she is in love with him.

I think its anger, rejection, and just flustered/frustrated.

Umm..I'm not really sure, I think it wasn't really love at first sight, but I can't exacty pinpoint a part where I think it happened.
by myhopesaresohigh @ vesperarium
Midnight_Sunshine
Settled in Forks

Post by Midnight_Sunshine »

I like the whole
"Burned by the sun?"
"Myth."
"Sleep in coffins?"
"Myth"
and
"I don't want to be a monster."

maybe she is regretting her um tactics but she isn't really regretting the results.

Bella has decided that no matter what she loves Edward. NO MATTER WHAT. She can tell that he's a good person and that's enough for her.

I think that Bella is angry and feels a little but rejected.

I think that there was a bit of love at first sight. I mean he did take her breath away. I suppose that as she got to know him better it became more unconditional.