Chapter 8 ~ Port Angeles

A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
fi_fi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Trying to be 100 places at once while, with a To Do List that never gets any shorter!

Re: Chapter 8 ~ Port Angeles

Post by fi_fi »

1. At what point were you worried for Bella's safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?
Hmm, I was dithering. I've been followed in similar circumstances before, but luckily for me there was nothing sinister going on, so part of me thought Bella was in the same situation, while another part was worried for her. When she said
"...I realised I wasn't being followed. I was being herded.", I actually stopped breathing. Then I read so fast, I didn't have time to consider whether or not Edward was coming for her. However, as soon as she saw the car come flying round the corner, I knew he had come to the rescue.

2. How did you feel about Edward's emotional reaction to the whole situation? Were you afraid of him? Were you worried for Bella?
I wasn't afraid of him, or afraid for Bella. I felt as she did - I trusted him. I knew he was a vampire, but this was the second time he'd stepped in to save her life - surely he couldn't be a danger to her?

3. Were you surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly about his ability to mind read? Had you guessed that this was his secret?
Not really, though I guess I should have been. I think I'd already guessed that he could, though I have no idea what brought me to that conclusion.

4. What was your personal theory as to why Edward can't hear Bella's mind the first time you read the book?

I had no idea. I tried to form theories, but none seemed to make any sense. And there seems to be no specific reason for it now (4th time reading it), or from the other books - it's Bella's special ability, just as reading minds in the first place is Edward's.

5. Did it concern you at all that Edward keeps such a close watch over Bella? Did it seem somewhat like a stalker to you or did you just brush it off?
I must admit, I thought it was - romantic isn't the right word - caring? Again, I was similar to Bella with my reaction, I knew that I should have found it creepy that he was stalking her, but ~ I didn't. As I said above, he's saved her life twice at this point, how much of a danger could he be?

*I know it may sound like I'm trying to make myself into Bella in some way - I'm honestly not. I don't know if it's because of reading the book in the first person, or if that is how I would have reacted anyway, but these are my honest reactions to the questions.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

1. At what point were you worried for Bella's safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?
I felt worried the moment she first saw them.

2. How did you feel about Edward's emotional reaction to the whole situation? Were you afraid of him? Were you worried for Bella?
I was worried for Edward :lol: I wasn't afraid of him and kind off wished someone would respond that way when I was in danger.

3. Were you surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly about his ability to mind read? Had you guessed that this was his secret?
I hadn't guessed that that was his secret. And I was surprised that he told the truth so fast.

4. What was your personal theory as to why Edward can't hear Bella's mind the first time you read the book?
I didn't have a theory.

5. Did it concern you at all that Edward keeps such a close watch over Bella? Did it seem somewhat like a stalker to you or did you just brush it off?
I found it very sweet. And it showed that he cares a lot for her, which was a relief, because I already knew how she felt.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

As soon as she noticed she was being followed and in the non populated part of town. I was like; "Oh no, run run run!" Had no idea Edward was going to come.

I found it to be a huge surprise. He was really really upset and mad. I actually was kinda a tad afraid, but not worried about Bella. He was so protective of her and his reaction to the situation proved it.

Yup. The whole mind reading thing was a complete surprise.

I just thought it was because of her unique lifestyle she grew up in...

Um, yeah. The sneaking into the room thing was a bit freaky in my opinion. The way he watched over her though was nice. But the room thing...no boundaries. That was just plain...creepy.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
Idril
Settled in Forks

Post by Idril »

At the point that she was alone and being followed and that she was turning down darkish alleys & roads. I kinda figured that someone would turn up hoping it would be Edward.

I felt he was a little too calm. I mean what would he have done if they HAD hurt Bella before he got there, besides the obvious murder and mayhem?!! No I felt the Edward was the Knight in shinning armour and figured that he would do anything to save Bella. I felt that Bella was completely stupid so yes I was afraid for her.

I was a bit surprised about the mind reading ability and Edward telling Bella all about it but then again isn't that what a open, honest relationship is all about?!!

Initially it was because I figured Edward was in love with her in the most intense possible way he could be. Then I thought about it more and realized maybe Bella was just a closed person.

No ... Bella was in such NEED of protection. I felt it was more of a true love kinda thing
Lady Idril
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

I knew that Edward would shoe up before it was too late, but I was worried that silver cars kept passing her by and it wasn't his. I also was worried because Bella was starting to get lost.

His emotional reaction in this situation was really sweet and normal I think. The guys wanted to rape Bella and he really cares about her safety. Any guys who cares a lot about a woman would be that furious at the attacker and upset at the situation even if it didn't actually happen. When I first read this book, I was afraid that he would go back for them, but if he did I figured they had it coming. I wasn't afraid of him or for Bella. At this point, he is too concern for Bella's safety for me to think that he would harm her.

I don't think it was 'so quickly' that he told her. They have been talking for a while and I think that he had a good feel of who she was and that that she was trustworthy. I was surprised at his secret ability.

4.What was your personal theory as to why Edward can't hear Bella's mind the first time you read the book?

I don't think I had any theories.

In some situations, Bella does need Edward to keep a close watch on her so he can keep her safe. I wasn't concern that he was doing this because I know he is just trying to protect her. I do think that he takes it too far tho, like when he watches her sleep. I know he does that because that is the only way that he can get a glispe into her mind, but its still is crossing the line to a stalker level. Especially when he does it without her permission.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

When they started making comments toward her... If I remember corectly, they were calling her "baby" and whatnot. It was really creepy. I definitely would have been freaking out if I were in that situation.

I was really glad that Edward showed up, and I think that he had a good reason to feel the way he did. Those guys were scum, and he had every right to want to hurt them for the way they were treating Bella. It doesn't matter if he's even close to Bella or not... People like those thugs just shouldn't be tolerated in general.

I was, actually. I knew that there was more to his secret than just mind reading, but I was surprised at how he had kind of given up and told Bella without much of a struggle.

I still don't know why, to be honest. I'm going to assume it has something to do with Bella's blood... Or maybe Bella is just special in general.

With this situation, I just brushed it off. It seemed to me that he definitely had feelings for her, and he was trying to make sure she was safe. Plus, he couldn't really help being able to keep close watch on her... He was able to smell her from a distance, so he was able to tell where she was.
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

Almost right away, and even more so as they began to follow/herd her. And yes, I did have some idea that Edward would get involved.

I never felt that BELLA was in danger from Edward's rage. He doesn't seem like someone to misplace his anger and hurt the wrong person. After all, it's totally stupid for him to get all upset about someone threatening Bella and then turn around and harm her himself over the misplaced anger.

I hadn't guessed his secret. I was too caught up in the whole vampire thing to even think about the idea of mind reading. And yes, I was surprised he gave it up so easily. Then again, if he had made up his mind to eventually tell her the truth -- which he would have to do if he wanted to spend much more time around her -- then it isn't a huge leap for him to begin to explain the mind reading. It did seem a little odd that Bella asked about the mindreading before she confronted him about being a vampire, however.

I didn't have one, and was going to wait and see. However I did buy into the "am" vs "fm" theory when it was presented later on.

I brushed it off, perhaps because Bella really was in danger. Edward was not acting on something that wasn't actually life threatening for her. I've always felt that Edward is very much struck by the fragility of Bella, though. After all, everyone else in his life is almost impossible to kill.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I was sure Edward would show up. Wouldn't be much of a story if he didn't!

No, I felt he was angry at the men, not her.

No and no.

I thought that the different frequency theory might be correct.

Well, I was already in love with him, and love covers over a multitude of sins!
christopher
Settled in Forks

Post by christopher »

Alphie wrote:1. At what point were you worried for Bella's safety with the thugs? Or did you have some idea that Edward would show up just in the nick of time?
Due to her description of them, I was worried as soon as they started approaching Bella. Edward's appearance was unexpected, but not really surprising if you think about it after the fact.
Alphie wrote:2. How did you feel about Edward's emotional reaction to the whole situation? Were you afraid of him? Were you worried for Bella?
I thought it was strange how he reacted so strongly. The whole situation reminds me of how, when you're with a person who is angry, you're just afraid to say the wrong thing because you don't want that person to turn his or her anger towards you.
Alphie wrote:3. Were you surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly about his ability to mind read? Had you guessed that this was his secret?
The mind-reading thing was definitely a surprise, as was his sudden truthfulness.
Alphie wrote:4. What was your personal theory as to why Edward can't hear Bella's mind the first time you read the book?
No idea whatsoever.
Alphie wrote:5. Did it concern you at all that Edward keeps such a close watch over Bella? Did it seem somewhat like a stalker to you or did you just brush it off?
Definitely stalker. But for Bella, having a stalker appears to have its benefits.
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

Okay, wow..I'm trying to remember back to the first time I read it..it wasn't really too much of a surprise on this re-read, but since I was really soaking it up and trying to take my time, I was a little scared.

Considering he just saved her life from some pretty awful stuff, I wasn't afraid of him. I'm glad he was angry at those vile men!

-I think what I really enjoyed about this chapter is when he opened up and told her about his mind reading. I think at that point, after he found her in Port Angeles with no explanation...it's not like she told him she was going. I liked re-reading the chapters where he's telling her about himself in particular, it helped me see Edward in a whole new light. Very fascinating.

It's a bit stalkerish, but he saved her life so I can't really complain :)