Chapter 6 - Scary Stories

A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Re: Chapter 6 - Scary Stories

Post by Kate »

1. What was your initial thought about the fact that Charlie told Bella Goat Rock wasn't a good place for camping? Did you wonder what else Edward might be doing up there?

I first thought he may have lied to her about his destination…

2. How did you feel about Lauren and her open dislike of Bella?

It was a hard blow… New school, new friend, a lot of abnegation, a lot of interrogation about that strange boy and there is that girl who trying to scandal mongering her.

3. What was your first impression of Jacob Black? Did you like him? Did you get the sense that he was interested in Bella as more than a friend?

Yes, I like him. I like the candid way he has to show is interest… :)

4. Why do you suppose Jacob didn't believe the legends of his people as readily as Bella did?

Because he was raised up listening it. It was scary story and a grown up will not believe it, isn’t it? :)

5. Given the fact that the stories about the "cold ones" were true, did you fully expect to see werewolves in the future books?

The second movie was already in theatre when I start reading the book… so… The television spot have break that punch… :)

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

1. What was your initial thought about the fact that Charlie told Bella Goat Rock wasn't a good place for camping? Did you wonder what else Edward might be doing up there?

I had an inclination that he wasn't 'camping.' but then maybe I thought he could take care of himself.

I thought that It was very malicious of Lauren to hate her basically from the start. Then again, new girl walks in and gets everything.

3. What was your first impression of Jacob Black? Did you like him? Did you get the sense that he was interested in Bella as more than a friend?

I always thought from the way that he was written that he liked her alot. From the way he recognised her, and remembered what they used to do, even though he was younger I got the impression a young Jacob really liked Bella.

4. Why do you suppose Jacob didn't believe the legends of his people as readily as Bella did?

He grew up listening to it over and over, he must have thought that his dad was giving excuses for him not to do certain things, or that he was predjudece.

5. Given the fact that the stories about the "cold ones" were true, did you fully expect to see werewolves in the future books?

No, I actually didnt. It surprised me, I didnt expect Jacob to be a wolf either.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
fi_fi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Trying to be 100 places at once while, with a To Do List that never gets any shorter!

Post by fi_fi »

As I already knew that Edward was a vampire, I assumed that they would be hunting. Though I didn't know (at this point) that they didn't hunt humans, I just kind of assumed that that was why they were away. When Jacob told his story, it confirmed this for me - Edward and Emmett were away hunting.

There's always one. Some people are threatened by other people getting attention, and Mike, Eric, and Tyler's obvious interest in Bella, as well as Edward's attention to her, must have stung Lauren's ego. There are petty bullies everywhere in life - I think Stephanie wrote this character very well - I've known people just like Lauren.

I liked him, he seemed like a nice kid. Unfortunately,I already knew about the whole 'Team Edward vs Team Jacob' thing before I read the books, so I knew that he must become a bigger part of the story, and assumed that he at least would have a romantic interest (I wasn't sure how Bella would react to him in the future).
Even at this point though, he seemed so flattered by her flirting that it was obvious he fancied her.

As nearly all the posts on this thread say, because he had no reason to. He was just repeating what he thought of as a scary story - even though Billy obviously believed that there was something wrong or 'off' about the Cullens (as he stopped going to the hospital once Carlisle started working there), Jacob obviously didn't put much stock in the old stories, and thought his Dad was just following tradition.
Bella knew there was something different about Edward - his strength, his eyes, his skin, etc, and was looking for answers - hence asking questions of Jacob in the first place.
I would be interested to know how much Billy knew at this point. I'm sure it's covered in one of the books. Did he believe they were vampires at this point in the story?

Again, this had been spoiled for me by seeing trailers for the Eclipse film - I knew werewolves were coming. To be honest, I assumed they would turn up in Twilight. When I finished that, I knew that that was where New Moon must be headed.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I didn't know what he was doing.

I thought she was a jealous girl.

I liked him and I thought he was into Bella.

The Cullens don't come to La Push, so maybe he hadn't met them yet. He didn't know that they looked off, she did.

Not yet.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

That the area seemed dangerous to be for a typical person. Well, probably to hunt, is what I thought.

Lauren...Don't quite remember her that well, but it was probably that classic jealousy of the attention the new girl got.

I thought he was friendly, yet a tad annoying. You could tell he had a crush on Bella, and Bella did too, hence how she 'used' him for information.

Cause he was a kid and didn't know any better.

I had a feeling it was going to be one of them vampire-warewolf stories eventually.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
Idril
Settled in Forks

Post by Idril »

Naw it made sense to me ... kinda like duh

There always has to be one that stirs the pot and hates someone for no real reason

I thought Jake was a little much at first. Kinda like his dad told him stories about her ahead of time so he already had a preconceived 'love' for her. From the first yep thats what I was thinking.

I think that he had heard them too much and because he hadn't seen 'evidence' of the stories he just put them in his head as just that ... stories the older folks told to the younger ones around a campfire.

Absolutely
Lady Idril
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

I thought that Goat Rock wasn't a safe place to be. I sort of knew that Edward would be hunting.

I think that Lauren is immature and doesn't like Bella because she gets so much attension from boys at school. Lauren seems like the typical popular girl who has nothing better to do than spread gossip.

Yes, I did like Jacob at first. He seemed sweet and a fun person to be around. Yes it did seemed like he was interested in Bella as more than a friend.

I don't think Jacob has a reason to believe the legends. He seem like a "I'll-believe-it-when-I-see-it type of person. At this point of the story, Jacob hasn't seen anything that would prove the legends to be real. Bella, on the other hand, has because of Edward.

No, I didn't.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I figured it had to do with Edward being a vampire. LOL.

Lauren was definitely annoying, but I found it even worse how Tyler was telling everyone that Bella went to the prom with him! I don't see how he could have possibly thought that would make up for almost killing her...

Hehe, I liked Jacob. I thought he acted pretty cute. And yeah, he definitely liked Bella as more than a friend... But judging by how Bella was flirting with him, I can hardly blame him for thinking that way.

Probably because he wasn't familiar with the Cullens, and he didn't know how well they tied in with the legends.

It's not really that surprising... Jacob was a recurring character in Twilight, so it's understandable why he became a main character later in the series. And the clues about the werewolves were there in his legend, along with the "cold ones"... I think that a lot of people were so focused on the vampires, they didn't notice when he said that his tribe was descended from wolves. XD
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

I figured it was a hunting trip. Or that the bears wouldn't present a problem for a guy who can thrown cars around. :P

I found her very off-putting. But I suppose she has a purpose -- she shows the reader the attitude that a lot of the girls in Forks must have toward Bella, who has waltzed in and is getting attention from every boy in town.

He seemed very young, even if he was more grown up physically. He didn't seem experenced around girls, and very much seemed to be crushing on Bella. Overall, though, he seemed like a very nice guy.

A lot of teenagers think the older people around them are a little crazy with the stories they tell. Everybody has heard a tale about the giant fish Granddaddy caught, and no one quite believes it any more than we believe that giant reptiles roam the sewers of New York. The tribal legends have elements of both family "big fish" stories and urban legends. Bella, on the other hand, has seen one of the "gators," so to speak. Edward's abilities can't be explain in any natural way, and this causes her to be open to the idea that they could be explained by something SUPERnatural.

Yes, very much so.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Something that was unusual.

I think all girls knew another girl like that when they were in school!

I thought he was a nice young guy who seemed genuine, and yes, I got the impression he was interested in Bella.

Because he didn't have any reason to believe in them: she did.

I think I knew this in advance.