A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Re: Chapter 5 ~ Blood Type

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

1. Do you personally relate to Bella feeling queasy around blood?
A little blood doesn't bother me however I could never be a surgeon.
2. Were you afraid for Bella when Edward scooped her up? Did you think the fact that their was blood around might endanger her?
I wasn't afraid for Bella b/c Edward was to concerned with wanting to know what happened to her.
3. Edward says that Bella doesn't seem like a junior in high school. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment?
I agree completely with Edward. Bella is mature for her age but it is because of how she was raised.
4. What did you think about Edward's demeanor this chapter? How is it different than in the previous chapters?
Edward is trying to communicate with her but he is still being reserve.
Banner by TammyAZ
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

Nope. Just if is a really big wound, I turn around. It makes me anxious to see, but I don't get sick or anything like that.

2. Were you afraid for Bella when Edward scooped her up? Did you think the fact that there was blood around might endanger her?
Not really, because her own blood was never exposed.

3. Edward says that Bella doesn't seem like a junior in high school. Do you agree or disagree with that assessment?
Both. I think he said that because of Bella's personality. But physically, I'm sure she looks like a junior.

4. What did you think about Edward's demeanor this chapter? How is it different than in the previous chapters?
Well, he was in a better mood, compared to the previous chapters. I thought he was focusing more on getting to know Bella, rather than to think about her blood. He was being careful, though.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

I get kind of queasy, but not to a point where I would faint.. just get a little light headed maybe.

2. Were you afraid for Bella when Edward scooped her up? Did you think the fact that their was blood around might endanger her?
No, because she was not bleeding personally. I actually didn't even think about Mike's finger when Edward showed up. Thus far in the book, it hadn't really explained how hard it is for them to be around blood.

I agree with it because she's just so responsible. Not many people will sacrafice their feelings to make others happy without complaining.. or let alone tell soemone outloud that their mother is their best friend.

He showed a caring side for the first time. Yes, he did save her life, but look at how he responded to her afterwards. Finding her right away after she's outside about to pass out and almost sounding scared that she might be hurt and then thinking he might have to avenge Mike Newton cause he thought he might have killed her.. swoon.. lol
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

Yes! :)

Not in the first reading. I just re-read it and I was surprised that Edward seems relieve when Mikes told him that she didn’t have time to sting herself…

I agree. I work with teenage in high school and there is so much more Lauren than Bella in my class…

I like the way he’s asking that to her… Like he hope having other answer that may explain every thing… :)

For once, he was kind and caring… More relax… Truly gentlemen! :)

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
fi_fi
Location: Trying to be 100 places at once while, with a To Do List that never gets any shorter!

Post by fi_fi »

Just want to say - I LOVE this chapter-by-chapter analysis - Thank you to whomever came up with it!

Not in real life, no. Sounds weird, but when I have to deal with real situations involving blood and wounds, I cope quite well, but watching it on TV or in films makes me feel queasy. And ER-type stuff is worse than battle-scene tpye stuff. Weird, huh?

No. I suppose, knowing that he was a vampire, that I should have, but to be perfectly honest, I was reacting pretty much like Bella at this point. Whenever he appeared, my pulse raced, and I was just waiting for her to get on and figure it out (that he's a vamp), and for him to get on and kiss her. Reading these books made me feel 17 again - more than I did when I was 17, if that makes sense??

I agree. Her selflessness in moving to Forks in the first place, her concern for Jess over the Mike thing, the fact that she kept Edward's 'secret' over the van accident - she's a lot more mature than most of the 16/17 year olds I know. More than anything, it's her ability to see things from other people's perspectives, that (to me) is the biggest part of maturity.

It's hard to remember what exactly I was thinking the first time I read it, to not let what I know now (having read the other books, and especially Midnight Sun) affect how I read this chapter. BUT, I what I do remember thinking is that he had obviously made a decision. Having ignored her for 6 weeks, he has obviously now decided to try to form some kind of relationship with her. His warnings meant (to me), that although he had tried to do what's 'right', he was drawn to her in some way: "I'm tired of trying to stay away from Bella"
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

Yes, I get sick when I see blood. Not by the smell of it, not if I know it's fake. But with real blood...

No. I never even considered that to be honest.

I agreed, I already found her very mature.

A real gentlemen. It felt like he had made a choice and that he was going to stick to it now.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

Not in the least. I find all blood and it's irony smell fascinating.

Naw, he was being a gentleman. It wasn't her blood, so he had good self control.

I agree. She was a child that had to mature quickly due to her family (mom especially) lack of responsibilities.

That he finally came to terms with himself that he couldn't stay away from her. Different because he was not in the least mean to her. He was concerned, and even insisted on taking her home. From this chapter on, he stops trying to avoid her.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
Idril
Settled in Forks

Post by Idril »

No not at all! I have to watch the needles and such or I faint! So I am the opposite.

No not really. I felt that he had control of his blood lust by this time.

I agree she was made to become mature and responsible at a young age because of her mother.

He had 'dealt' with his issues or found out the reasons behind his blood lust for Bella so understood himself better so was able to move on and become her protector.
Lady Idril
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

I can see blood, but it's not my favorite sight. I have to look away when I get shots tho.

Yes, I thought the Edward would of had a lot less self control than he did. What he did really suprise me.

I agree. Bells is selfless, she is very independent for her age.

First off, I love Edward's humor in this chapter. Edward seems happier and more open since he finally allowed himself to just be with Bella. He also seemed like he is more willing to take care of her.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

No. I don't have any problems with blood at all, really. I do have a problem with needles, though, so if my class was doing something like that, I wouldn't have been able to do.

Hmm... Not really. It seemed like Edward was just trying to help her, since she was too weak to walk at that moment. I knew that Edward was okay with that, since most people's blood isn't the same to him as Bella's is, and he's clearly developing a resistance against Bella's.

I agree. Compared to Jessica, and some of the other girls, Bella is far more mature for her age.

He was polite again, and this time, he seemed to care about her as a friend. (Or perhaps more..?) Definitely different from before, whenever he seemed generally detached from Bella.