A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
AyaDiefair
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 4 ~ Invitations

Post by AyaDiefair »

1. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?

Well, I figured it was because of her clumsiness. I don't think that and dancing would work well together. Also, she doesn't seem like the type of girl that would enjoy school dances. As for the boys: I had a similar magnet effect when I first attended public school in 6th grade. Somebody new and different to ask instead of the same girls you've grown up with since you were in diapers makes her the perfect target because she isn't any of those.

2. Bella asks Edward if he has multiple personality disorder because he either seems to be overly friendly or sarcastic moments apart. To what did you attribute Edward's odd behavior?

Well, I am not really sure how to answer this. fi_fi seems to hit it dead on for me.

fi_fi wrote: His being a vampire. I knew before reading that this was the case, and that he and Bella were going to end up together. I imagined that his friendly moments were when he was enjoying the moment, that he liked/fancied Bella and was being his 17-year-old self. When he turned sarcastic, I assumed that he was 'remembering' (as if he could forget, but you know what I mean) that he was a vampire, that he was a threat to this girl. And his warnings, or threats, seemed to fit in with this - he wanted to get to know Bella, but knew it was best for her if she didn't. I also assumed, after their first meeting, that he must be thirsting for her, but trying to overcome this.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
Idril
Settled in Forks

Post by Idril »

1. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?
Ok she is already the talk of the campus, classes and student body. Why on earth would she want to subject herself to that public display? Especially being the klutz that she is? I think it was to preserve her dignity as long as she could by NOT going. She knew that once that cat was out of the bag, she would be talked about in a more negative way. After all, some that are klutzy can play sports. Besides she didn't strike me as the 'dance party' kind of girl.

2. Bella asks Edward if he has multiple personality disorder because he either seems to be overly friendly or sarcastic moments apart. To what did you attribute Edward's odd behavior?
Well at first Edward seems to have MPD! But then he does redeem himself, remembering his characteristics and how to behave as a gentleman and gets a handle on some of what is bothering him about Bella. He also has had a talk with his father and most likely his mother, brothers and sisters so he has figured out what is going on with Bella's smell and why he desires her so much.
Lady Idril
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

Chapter 4 ~ Invitations

Bella doesn't like to dance and she doesn't like recieving attension. The spring dance requires both. As for boys, I think she knows that every boy has a crush on her and she would be getting their hopes up even if she said "let's just go as friends." I think she has a crush on Edward at this point, so that's why she isn't focusing on other guys-

I thought he had really bad mood swings.
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Gochiruzeru »

There are a few reasons for it... She's shy, and didn't really consider any of them "friends" so much as "acquaintances". She is clumsy, and she knows that if she attempted to dance, she would probably hurt herself and other people. And the third is because she's simply not interested -- I'm a lot like her in that respect, and I assume that she is more content with spending time by herself than going to a crowded social event anyway.

It did confuse me how bipolar he was towards Bella, but I think that at this point, he was in a fierce debate with himself: He knew that he was starting to have feelings for Bella, and he thought it was wrong. He still wasn't sure what to make of her.
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

It never seems to be about the guys. Well, she is more interested in Edward than any of them, but, in reality, Bella doesn't want to go to the dance because it's, well, a dance. She's clumsy. She doesn't dance well. So she doesn't want to dance. *shrug* I'm like that -- I hate dancing and there's nothing that will make me do it, and I'd never do it in public. Didn't even do a first dance at our wedding, I hate it so much. And, like Bella, I got the fail-dance gene from my dad.

He isn't sure what to do about Bella. Part of him is very interested in her, but another part is afraid of what might happen to her because of being with him. She could lose her life, and he knows it. He cares enough to want to avoid hurting her, but he isn't sure if he is strong enough to make sure of her safety.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Well, for a start, they showed her unwanted attention. That was a turn-off for her, whereas Edward's reaction, although frightening excited her curiosity. Also, she knew she'd have to dance if she went to the dance, and that would probably provide an opportunity for an embarrassing display of her clumsiness.

Him trying to work through things that were unfamiliar to him.
christopher
Settled in Forks

Post by christopher »

Alphie wrote:1. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?
Maybe she just doesn't like dances. I certainly don't. As for the question of why no one appealed to her, I'd say because the conversations she's had with the other characters (except for Edward) had been more like pushy interrogations, which are kind of a turn-off.
Alphie wrote:2. Bella asks Edward if he has multiple personality disorder because he either seems to be overly friendly or sarcastic moments apart. To what did you attribute Edward's odd behavior?
He's clearly hiding something.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I think she says no b/c no one has captured her interest like Edward has.The reason why on one appeals to her because one someone does no on else matters or seems to exist.

Yes Edwards was confusing at this point b/c one minute he would tell her they can't be friends yet then he was continuing talking to her. I still couldn't understand why he would behaved that way but was hopping we would learn eventually.
Banner by TammyAZ
Kat_Mac
Learning to Love Green

Post by Kat_Mac »

She's already clumsy and a little awkward socially. The idea of a dance seemed like her worst nightmare; lots of attention and plenty of chances to fall over. As for the boys... Edward was already in her head. How could they compare? Even without Edward in the equation, Bella is very mature and none of the other Forks boys are on her level. Going to the dance with any of them would attract attention and create tension with the other girls in the group.

I put it down to his own personal torment. He was clearly torn up about something and couldn't help himself but be around her, even though he made it clear that he shouldn't be. I figured he was taking out his own torment on Bella, as she was the centre of it.