A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: Chapter 4 ~ Invitations

Post by Jazz Girl »

1. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?
Bella isn't the school dance type. Apart from being so clumsy she borders on disabled, she's almost painfully shy and I kind of get the impression that she isn't one who does things on a regular basis that put her already fragile self esteem at risk, at least not consciously. ;) And, also, I whole heartedly agree with all of you who pointed out that, by the time the line starts forming, she had already had her first friendly conversations with Edward. After that, Mike and the rest just really look like ridiculous high school boys.

2. Bella asks Edward if he has multiple personality disorder because he either seems to be overly friendly or sarcastic moments apart. To what did you attribute Edward's odd behavior?
I classified Edward's behavior as being exactly what Bella's was; still trying to figure out exactly what was happening between the two of them, and what it would...could...become.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
sleepingshadow
Settled in Forks

Post by sleepingshadow »

1. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?
I think that part of her doesn't want to get too attached to anyone because of her deep intrigue with Edward, and because she doesn't want to come off as being attached to any one guy. In general, she keeps to herself and doesn't let people in very often (from what I've gathered)...so if she's going to be going to a dance with someone, it needs to be a special someone...not your average joe.

2. Bella asks Edward if he has multiple personality disorder because he either seems to be overly friendly or sarcastic moments apart. To what did you attribute Edward's odd behavior?
I attributed it to guys, in general, being crabby and unpredictable. But mostly, to Edward's internal conflict of constantly being drawn to Bella but knowing he should stay away. The emotions he's dealing with are both foreign and raw...it's a new sensation and the imbalance is his way of trying to cope with the delicate battle his head and his heart are dealing with. I truly believe that Edward loved Bella before he ever met her, which makes being around her especially hard.
EdwardCullen4eva
Settled in Forks

Post by EdwardCullen4eva »

1. I think it's becuase she has already developed a crush on Edward, even if she doesn't realize it yet. I also think that she didn't go to the dance for obvious reasons, she doesn't like to dance and isn't the most out going person.

2. Well, obviously i knew he was a vampire, but i didn't know why he was so moody. I sort of thought that it was becuase of her blood, but had no clue about scents or anything else like that until later on in the book.
Nerd
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Nerd »

For one, I'm sure all of the attention was exhausting. If she'd actually wanted to go, I think she could have demanded the strictly friends policy, but she also hated dancing. She was so uncoordinated that she probably would have broken her leg ANYWAY, just from doing the Chicken Dance!

Bi-polar, pretty much. Well, um... Since I knew from the start that he was a vampire, I was beginning to suspect that he was having a hard time controlling his thirst around her. Of course, I didn't now to what EXTENT, but I figured he was having a hard time NOT eating. :)
Skank Bale Image Let's roll! | Klutzy Chanteus | Official member of the Dork Squad
Visit here & here DAILY to donate to my city! | Thoughts of a Twi-hard: A Blog of Rants
ihadanEdwardRush
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ihadanEdwardRush »

Alphie wrote:1. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?

ANSWERS:
1. She doesn't want to go, first: she admitted that she can't dance and i think she is like the more silent-type-person-who-doesn't-want-any-attention-whatsoever. None of the boys appealed to here
because, i guess, she thought that they were like too showy and Bella doesn't want too-much attention.

2. Edward likes her much. and he doesn't feel that way towards a person or anybody before.
Banner by the fabulous MISTY!!! (yeah she rules!)
A proud part of the Gen Y Lexily! <3 my lexlings
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~ I knew she has got to be clumsy. None of the boys appealed to her because they were too friendly.

~haha schizaphrenia, anyone?
lol. im just kidding.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
4everklutzy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by 4everklutzy »

First, Bella is a klutz and as such does not dance--why set herself up for more public embarrassment? Secondly, She's not into frivolous stuff like dances or getting all dressed up for one. Thirdly, she doesn't like attention and I think that the bevy of invitations embarrassed her. And fourthly, she's not interested in any of those boys in that way and she knows that some of her friends are--it would be awkward.

I figured that he was feeling ambivalent. He is drawn to Bella and her blood but he's not exactly sure to what extent or what to do about it yet.
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

Bella is a very private person. In the beginning, she was thinking how she could not find a niche in a school with thousands of students. She was not the typical teenager who liked high school events. She could not really relate to the boys in school, or with the girls, for that matter. From day one, Edward caught her attention, and the rest of the boys just seemed not good enough compared to Edward.

Edward was trying to figure out his feelings and what he should do about Bella. He was warring with himself inside, with what he wants versus what is the right thing to do.
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank
readmymind
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by readmymind »

Mainly b/c of Edward. And she's probably picky w/ boys like I am. Add that to the shyness we share and it doesn't surprise me she said no.

He's just confused. Silly vampire teenage boys. LOL.
Midnight Sun: She was dreaming of me. And it wasn't even a nightmare. She wanted me stay with her, there in the dream.--Edward Cullen
Hawaii214
Wandering Through Town

Post by Hawaii214 »

I think she just was'nt used to it and wasnt prepared for so much attention. :?

i just thought he was weird and his mood swings were stronger when hes with Bella. :|
"Death, that hath Sucked the Honey from thy Breath, hath had no Power yet upon thy Beauty"-Edward Cullen
"Enjoying the Bouquet, while Resisting the Wine"-Edward Cullen