A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
i couldnt relate to her very much, but i liked the way she looked at things and could wait to read the rest of the book!

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?
good parents, who just want whats best for everyone!

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?
a good way to start off at a new school. i thought ben was a bit annoying though... :lol:

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?
scared. he was very different character than i had expected and his reaction was strange.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?
he had some problem with bella and couldnt stand being near her.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
i couldnt wait to read the rest!!
Betting on Alice.
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Asheleyo »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
I most definitely related to her right away. I was (and still am) very quiet in person, despite the very strong opinions I can have. I turn beet red when embarrassed and I'm easily embarrassed, and so I avoid public attention. I have that awful habit of not being able to properly express anger, instead it comes out as tears. I think that part especially hooked me in to her character. I haven't met anyone else that has that problem. Although my parents are still together, I can grasp the idea of having two very distinct personalities that don't always intersect and being uncomfortable talking around my dad.

Renee seemed like, despite her years, she still didn't know herself. The way she moved from hobby to hobby and constantly feels the need for confirmation from her daughter just screamed insecure to me. I feel like she never learned how to be an adult.
Charlie was the opposite. He knew how to live up to responsibilities, but he just couldn't get the relationship parts down. He's comfortable in his own skin, but it's underneath that that he has problems with. Surely being left by his wife and daughter didn't help that.

Honestly, I thought Jessica was a little shallow, but not a bad person. She was bubbly and interested in Bella. Eric and Mike annoyed me. I thought they should have tried to be a friend before they staked any claims on her romantically. Angela, quiet in the background, promised to be an admirable character.

Given the first time we see him in the cafeteria, and he goes from being completely uninterested to staring at her pensively, I was intrigued.

Something along the lines of "what the hell is his problem?" I also wondered how no one else seemed to think it was odd that he was basically hanging off his chair trying to get as far away from her as possible.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
The writing style hooked me right away. I found it very inviting. And the ability to connect to Bella drew me in instantly.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
FoundMyEdward0510
Settled in Forks

Post by FoundMyEdward0510 »

I related to the moving. I went to a different school every year for 5 years. It was hard, and I totally understood how she felt about living with Charlie. My dad is SOOOO much like him.

Renee seemed to be in love and a total free spirit. She probably loves the constant moving and change with Phil. I felt really bad for Charlie. He doesn't get to see his daughter, and hasn't moved on after his first wife. I bet he still loves her. It's so sad.

Mike seems a little clingy. Tyler seems nosy. Jessica seems really two-faced, and Angela is just a sweet heart. Her and Bella will get along Great.

Intrigued. I thought he was wierd. Not to mention he's mysterious. I always fell for loners.

I didn't get it. I knew he was a vampire, but I didn't get why he was so anti-Bella. It was odd.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?After Edward and the Cullens showed up I was hooked. Before that though, I was having a hard time understanding what the fuss was.
Kasumi
Settled in Forks

Post by Kasumi »

Kind of. I didn't move or anything but it was sort of like my first day of high school all over again. It's mostly the nervousness of the being in new surroundings and surrounded by people you don't know. I'm equally as shy as Bella (maybe even worse).

I thought of Renee as rather doting and Charlie more taken by surprise and trying to adjust to Bella. But it's clear that they both love her.

I thought of Jessica as the typical wanna-be 'it' girl. Eric was rather geeky. Mike as the jock. Pretty average evaluations.

Intrigued I suppose. Though it was rather predictable...

I didn't think much about it actually. Except that it would interest Bella enough to do some digging about him.

Got me hooked, definitely.
- under construction -
FoundMyEdward0510
Settled in Forks

Post by FoundMyEdward0510 »

I understood the moving to a new school after knowing so many people. Though I love the rain, so I wouldn't have mind that part :)

Renee is a very spur of the moment, free-spirit, in-love-with-love kind of woman. She really loves Bella.
Charlieis a set in his ways, very routine, broken(in his way) police man, who is overjoyed that his daughter's there, even though he doesn't really know how to show that. Much like his daughter.

Erics seemed like the nice nerdy guy, who really would be a good friend for Bella. I don't think he'd have any alterior motives in being her friend. Mike is very clingy, controlling, and likes the IDEA of falling for Bella. They would never work lol. I keep waiting on him to pee on her leg to mark her as "his girl". Jessica seems more interested in using Bella's spotlight as "the new girl" and finding things she can turn to rumors about her than actually wanting to be her friend. Angela is my favorite. She's quite, smart, focused, and an all-american girl.

I was totally confused, and I kinda took it personally that he was being so mean! lol. The coal black eyes... gae me chills when I read. In an "I'm scared" kinda way.

Very confusing

I was hooked from the time she saw the Cullens. I knew something big was going to happen from then on.
emilycullenx
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by emilycullenx »

I'm not really sure if I related to her right away... maybe I did in the sense that she was a little bit more pessimistic about having to leave, even though it was her own choice.

I thought they were very distant from one another, and Bella was stuck in the middle. I thought Renee was a little more carefree, whereas Charlie had his way of living and that was that; and it cost him his wife and daughter (partially).

I thought they were all VERY sweet; I wish I could've made friends so easily in high school! And such caring people at that; look at ms. Angela. <3

I wasn't scared, but I was certainly ready to read everything about him. haha~

I was intrigued by it... I didn't understand why he was acting the way he was, minus the fact that he was a vamp.

I was hooked from just the front cover and from the quotes on the back~ I was definitely eager for chapter 2 (aka yes. this chapter kept me hooked).
"every single memory is erasing;
going back to the times when we were strangers.
"
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

I did relate to Bella right away. I identify with Bella and her willingness to be a loner.

Renee>>ditzy and a little flighty
Charlie>>workaholic

Eric is a nerd but thinks he's all that.
Mike thinks he's all that, but he's nice regardless.
Jessica is a snob.
Angela is a genuine person and will make a good friend for Bella.

I was very intrigued by Edward. His character just draws you in...you root for him from the very beginning.

I thought he was fighting some internal battle.
I was hooked from the first page on...chapter 1 is one of my favorite chapters in the whole series.
Satanicangel666
Settled in Forks

Post by Satanicangel666 »

her being shy. i'm also shy. and plus a bit clumsy

:/

jessica seemed like a ding dong the witch is dead which old witch the wicked witch, but the others seemed ok

intrigued...

i already knew he was a vampire. a friend told me about the book

ehh not really :/
Emmett_Pwnz_All
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Emmett_Pwnz_All »

UHHH not reeallyyyy. She seemed too bland and stuff.

Renee: :lol: AHahahah all over the place
Charlie: Insecure kind of....? Or not very openminded? Hard to explain. xD When I thinketh of teh right word I'll edit!

MIKEMIKEMIKE. That just killed it. HATE MIKE.
I thought Jessica and Angela and Ben and Eric were coolio :D

Curious and freaked.

That he was a wallflower.

Yeh.
mimiishinlove<3
Image `; [mimimccarty<3 lubs kellmett and the medic droid<3] Karl=TwiGuy#1Mimi2=TwiTwin! :D
OMEEEE ILY GREGORYGORGEOUS<3
furrynfun
Settled in Forks

Post by furrynfun »

This site has become so mainstream:P I like the old version with the original twilight fans not the Robert Pattinson lovers who've only seen the movie:P

Anyway I have noticed some MAJOR similarities bewtween Twilight and HBO's True Blood
the main charachter
Sookie can read minds except for Bill's...just like Edward and Bella in Twilight

Sookie falls in love with a vampire..So does Bella

Sookie's friend Sam is in love with her...just like Jacob is in love with Bella

Sam is a Shape Shifter....Just like Jacob

And they are both fighting for the girl!

And in True Blood, Sam talks about imprinting. Which is also copied in Twilight!

Also Bill was turned into a vampire by a beautiful women during the Civil War........JUST LIKE JASPER!

The Sookie Stackhouse series started way before Twilight so Stephanie Meyer obviously got lots of ideas form True Blood