A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Monster28
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by Monster28 »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

Yes. I don't know if this came through in the first chapter but I could relate to being away from home, feeling like the outside at school and not minding being alone.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?

I felt sorry for Charlie because you could tell that he found it hard to express himself and how he felt about his daughter coming home. I thought Renee was a wild child mother and almost felt a bit sorry for Bella, but after reading the book I think the "parent" role was what Bella wanted.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?

Did not like Mike (always out for himself). Did not trust Jessica. Angela was sweet, as was Tyler and Eric was hard to work out.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?

I was scared of what might happen, as I know Edward could not "live" with himself if he killed Bella. The minute Edward was introduced in the story, I was intrigued by the story far more than the first couple of chapters where he isn't present.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?

I was thinking does he hate her or is he going to kill her, or is it just a front.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?

Did not hook me at first.
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
Relate and identify aren't the same, at least not to me. I found her very relatable, even if I could not identify with everything in her backstory. After all, I grew up in a happy, loving home with parents who have a very happy marriage. However, who she was came across well, and I was willing to take the journey with her. As for things in common, I also often felt like I was much older than the other high school students somehow. I was more of an old soul myself, so I could identify with that.

Renee seemed rather ditzy, though loving. She didn't seem to know what to do, but she did seem to care. Charlie seemed more practical, more grounded, but a little distant.

None of them really jumped out that much for me. They still don't even on this re-read. I guess I was never too interested in the people of Forks, outside of Bella's family.

Intrigued.

I thought that he had something else going on that was bothering him -- I didn't think it would be Bella-centric at that moment, although it could have been. I assumed that maybe he had an issue with the teacher or another student and that he wanted to switch classes for that reason.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
I was pretty hooked. I liked Stephenie's voice from the prologue on, and that got and kept me hooked. Voice is everything for me, though, and if I don't like it I won't read past the first page.
maquislady1388
Settled in Forks

Post by maquislady1388 »

I identify with her social awkwardness issues. I don't like to be the center of attention. I can feel her pain there.

Rene to me seems very immature and self centered. I wondered what kind of mother just puts her teenage daughter on a plane by herself. But then again with her ex living on the other side of the country she must be used to it.
Charlie seemed like a good man who wanted to be a good father but didn't know how. I felt kind of sorry for him.

Honestly I thought they were mostly typical teenagers. You have the Jock (Mike), The prom Queens(Jessica and Lauren) the budding journalist(Eric) and the bff (Angela).

I was more put off by him. He was so angry for no apparent reason that I thought at first he was going to be the bad guy in the story.
Totally uncalled for. Bella had done nothing to him and he was not very nice.
I had a real hard time getting into this series. I read the first few chapters of the book and put it away for months before picking it back up again.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Yes I did. I related to her clumsiness, her shyness, and the fact that she cries easily. And while I'm not so much that way now, in high school I HATED attention from anyone except my small circle of friends. Sometimes even from them too.

I liked Renee. She was ready to sacrifice her happiness for Bella if it was what she wanted. And Charlie was nice and quiet. I like that.

I liked Angela and Mike, not so much Eric or Jessica. Jessica's comments about the Cullens were snide.

A bit of both.

I thought there was something going on that Bella didn't know about.

I was hooked from chapter one, no doubt.
Last edited by Tornado on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Unpublished Author
Settled in Forks

Post by The Unpublished Author »

Frankly, no. This initial chapter felt like a cry for attention. When Bella goes and cries in her room (I think it was chapter one), I felt no sympathy. Several things had been established in the first chapter:

First, that her parents both love her very much, even if they have difficulty showing it.

Second, that people seem to be drawn to her very easily. By chapter one, she already has people who could be described as friends.

Charlie comes off as a hard working father who doesn't know how to relate with a daughter he hasn't seen in years. Surprisingly, I think he's the best written character in the series.

Renee seems flighty and impulsive, empathizing more with her daughter than Charlie does, but suffering because of her impulsiveness.

They seem like normal people. Admittedly, it is totally unrealistic that all the boys want to ask out Bella the very second that she arrives, but they are far more normal than the Cullens (except for Alice).

I would have been indifferent, but I was fully aware that he would become a main character later on.

Creepy little weirdo.

I was not very hooked. Bella came of as an annoying teenager with whom I could not sympathize. Her father obviously cares about her, even if he has trouble expressing it. She has a cluster of friends at school, several of which are all immediately attracted to her. Any other person would at least put on a smile and try to accept their new position in life.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Hm, Alexander, I rather wonder why you bothered to keep reading it.
christopher
Settled in Forks

Post by christopher »

Alphie wrote:1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
Like Bella, I used to live in Arizona. Like Bella, I moved away. Like Bella, I ended up someplace less sunny (she ended up in Forks, I ended up in New Jersey). So yes, I can definitely relate.
Alphie wrote:2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?
They're polar opposites. Bella describes Renée as being erratic and credits Phil as the one to make sure the bills are getting paid. She certainly loves her mother, but she also feels responsible for her. Charlie, on the other hand, seems to understand that Bella is still a child, and tries to give her the opportunity to be one. I think he plays the role of parent a little bit better.
Alphie wrote:3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?
Overall, they seemed very friendly. Maybe a little too friendly. Especially the boys.
Alphie wrote:4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?
Neither. He just seemed like a normal kid with a lot on his mind. If anything, maybe a little weird.
Alphie wrote:5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?
People are complicated creatures with unusual motivations, and she knew practically nothing of him. Given her lack of history with him, and not knowing his story, I'd say it was odd of HER to assume that she was the cause of his behavior (even though technically, she was).
Alphie wrote:6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
I'd say it took a few chapters.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

In honor of the last movie and wanting to always answer these questions, I am re-reading the books after 3 years. It is amazing that the Saga books can still own and consume me.

I did. It brought back memories when I was a teenager. I identified with her in her quality of never really fitting in anywhere. Trying to find myself

Being that I was a mom while reading the books it surprised me how Renee let Bella live with her dad so she could go support and be with Phil so Bella wouldn't be left alone. I couldn't imagine my children not living with me.

I thought that it was great the guys were more welcoming cause coming into a new school is frightening however the girls are catty so I knew she was going have trouble with some of them.

I was intrigued. He was mysterious. He consumed me instantly while reading about him

I was b/c there is so many different takes on vampirism. I was curious why he was acting like that.

Um no fuss, when I was reading it it still wasn't that known. My sister bought it when it first hit the shelves b/c the cover caught her attention. She read it first and told me that I better read this, knowing that I love to read and knowing that this was the best book I ever would have read. She was right!
Banner by TammyAZ
Kat_Mac
Learning to Love Green

Post by Kat_Mac »

I didn't really relate to Bella, no. I identified with her sarcasm, and her close relationship with her mother but not much else.

I liked Renee, but how little she seemed to act like a parent made me a little uncomfortable with her. I warmed to Charlie because of how pleased he seemed to have Bella live with him.

Eric and Mike seemed sweet, in an obvious, agenda driven way. I liked Angela, and Jessica made me laugh, the frenemy stereotype.

Intrigued. I couldn't be scared when I knew it turned into a love story. His rudeness irritated me a little though.

Knowing that he was a vampire from the blurb, I figured it was something to do with that. How rude he came across was a little surprising.

No, I wanted to know the answers to all of the questions I already had, so I was pretty much hooked.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

:clap: Kat_Mac you are doing this too. I have been wanting to answer all the chapter questions since I joined but never got around to do it. Glad to see someone else is.
Banner by TammyAZ