A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Chapter 2 ~ Open Book

Post by ashleygill03 »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
I thought that he had dropped out of school, and I was still trying to figure out why he would just vanish.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
I think it signifies that Bella has really had to step up in life to take care of both of her parents in different aspects. I think it's what makes her the mature individual that she is. She wasn't able to depend on Renee fully, because Renee was busy depending on her.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
I was so baffled as to what was going on. I thought he was bipolar, lol.

4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color?
Well some people's eye color gets darker when they're angry, so I assumed that is what happened with Edward.
Megsimadic
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Megsimadic »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
Well I knew that it was to avoid Bella but I didnt know why. I wasnt sure at all where he had went.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
From the start I saw Bella as an individual, but I also realised that to both her parents she had switched the role, she was the one looking after them, putting them before herself.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
I thought he had come to terms with whatever reason he had left for and was now being himself.

I think my exact thought was "must be a vamp thing" :lol: I didnt really think about feeding, I thought more about his mood.
My Youtube - My Livejournal
Private Meg Shinigami of Jasper's Confederate Army

Team Jasper:He is my happy hormone
Team Alice: Because Im short and annoying too!
Twifighter4Edward17
Settled in Forks

Post by Twifighter4Edward17 »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished ?

I thought he went up to the Danalie Clan and Edward had to leave because of the way Bella's blood was so strong and he did not want to kill her.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual ?

I would say that she can help her self most of the time but rather overall I think she is needy also. which is why I am glad she found Edward to take care of her.

3. what was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show ? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her ?

I liked it and I think he really did like her. No I don't think he was putting on a show. I think he wanted to figure out if he could get inside Bella's thoughts but he could not and then he was getting to caught up in her facal expressions and emotions. I liked Edward from the vary beginning.

4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color ?

I thought it was because he drank blood. Like all vampires.
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

[The first time reading through the book]I had no idea! But as a reader, [with the book being so long as well] I knew he was going to return.

That she had to grow up fast. Especially just living with Renee at first and having to take care of everything, take care of Renee, we get the impression that the roles are pretty much reversed, with Bella being the mother figure. With Charlie, Bella realized pretty quickly that she would be the woman of the house - and in charge of the house - because it was pretty clear that Charlie doesn't know how to cook and we can pretty safely assume [that as a bachelor] Charlie probably didn't keep an incredibly tidy house.

Intriguing! I wanted to know WHY the change happened. I didn't necessarily think he was trying to put on a show...I knew beforehand that he was a vampire so everything I thought, factored in that fact. All I can say is that his behavior was interesting. I thought he was generally trying to make an effort with Bella.

I truly don't know. I was interested.
Sturpherz
Wandering Through Town

My views on Chapter 2 ~ Open Book

Post by Sturpherz »

"The most important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become..."
Melarian
Settled in Forks

Post by Melarian »

I thought it had something to do with his reaction towards Bella, but didn't know where he might have gone.

Bella was forced to grow up and look after herself quite early. In addition to that she also had to look after her parents quite a lot which must be an exhausting job for someone her age.

I was wondering what had changed his mind. I thought maybe while he was away something changed that made it possible for him to come back. For me, this new, polite Edward was the real one. His reaction on Bella's first day might have been caused by a bad mood or something.

From the back cover of the book, it was already obvious that Edward was a vampire so I suspected right from the start that it had something to do with him being thirsty or not.
Elsbyth
Settled in Forks

Post by Elsbyth »

I thought he was at home hiding from Bella. If he wasn't at home, then I figured he'd run somewhere he felt safe.

It told me that Bella is a caretaker. Selfless and more than willing to nurture those around her.

Teenage boys - if there's ever a guide book published for their behaviour, someone will make a billion dollars. Honestly I thought that Edward had gotten over himself and decided to stop being obnoxious.

I thought his eye color tied more closely into his mood.
kristakamikaze
Settled in Forks

Post by kristakamikaze »

Well, like someone had said, they went camping/hiking.

That she had to grow up and act more like an adult than most kids.

I thought it was cuuute xD

Coloured contacts at first, haha.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

I didn't know. I figured he stayed home.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual? Bella had to grow up sooner than she should have. She is the role of adult in the mother/daughter relationship. She is Charlie's caretaker... she likes to be the one to take care of things and do things herself. I think that's why she fell so hard for Edward- he was someone that she could depend on and have take care of her.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her? No, I thought his behavior was genuine. I thought that maybe he was working through whatever aversion he had to her on her first day.

4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color? I figured he had fed while he was away. He slipped and said that he hadn't gotten contacts- I hoped he caught that!
Gina
Settled in Forks

Post by Gina »

I just thought he was avoiding her.

It shows me that Bella is a provider, the mother hen if you will. With Renee's free spirit, it caused Bella to mature very quickly. Growing up that way, constantly telling your mother where her dry cleaning is and so on, its a hard habit to break. Charlie was another person Bella decided she needed to take care of.

I just thought he was a wierdo. Or Bi-Polar.

I thought Bella may have saw the wrong then when his eyes were black. She had only looked at him for all of three seconds, so it may have been possible that she was mistaken...at this early in the book...i couldn't really make a judgement!
"I look at my… son. His strength, his goodness, the brightness that shines out of him—and it only fuels that hope, that faith, more than ever. How could there not be more for one such as Edward?" - Carlisle Cullen, New Moon