A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Lieziewiezie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Chapter 2 ~ Open Book

Post by Lieziewiezie »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
I thought he needed time for himself trying to figure out why he had such strong feeling for someone he just saw for the very first time (at that point it could be love or hate but it was a very strong feeling).

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
That Bella was forced to be mentally older then she actually was, because she had to be such responsible. It made me clear that I didn't need to expect a teenager with random problems but somebody who could take care of herself.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
I thought the time for himself made him comprehend his reaction and was trying to deal with it.

4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color?
A change in his mood. The first time he was shocked by (again) those strong emotions. With going away for a bit he found peace with them and so his mood calmed down.
Thanks MRK for the banner!
Is a proud part of the Gen Y Lexily to escape reality!
i.heart.twilight&hp
Settled in Forks

Post by i.heart.twilight&hp »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
I thought he just stayed home...I figured he vanished because of her, but I wasn't absolutely sure why. Even though the answer was on the back. lol

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
That she is very mature.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
I thought it was weird, but kept reading to find out why. I did sort of think he was putting on a show. My thoughts to his initial reaction didn't change much. I still would have wanted to know why he was like that the first time. 'What's your deal?' basically.

Hunger...All I knew was this book was vampire based, and in a lot of movies[not just vampires], that eye color thing goes.
I can spell love with two words: ♥Edward Cullen♥ {Major OCD}
Cause only a vampire can love you forever, right?
~Another dazzled Mrs. Cullen - Cause family is about more than just blood.
RakeyCullen
Settled in Forks

Post by RakeyCullen »

I thought he was staying home.

I think it shows that she has a lot of responsibility on her shoulders.

I thought that maybe he had been ill the past week and was better then.

I don't know. That he had super cool eyes?
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

I didn't know where he was but I knew he was avoiding Bella for some reason.

Bella is very independent and mature for her age.

I thought that he was trying to work through whatever was bothering him about Bella. So not exactly a show, but still a bit forced.

I still wasn't sure how SM's vampires worked and by this point I was hooked so I didn't really stop to ponder the change. I just kept reading at full speed.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

I had no idea where he went. I thought he might be trying to avoid Bella but i never would have thought he went where he did.

Bella had to fend for herself a lot, so it made sense that she was as guarded and self-sufficient as she was.

I thought it was kind of creepy how he was over-friendly and super polite to Bella. I thought he was putting on a show for sure. I don't know if it changed my thoughts about his initial reaction to her, but it certainly creeped me out.

I couldn't come up with a definitive explanation for the change in Edward's eye colour. I thought maybe his eyes were like mood rings and the dark colour reflected his anger toward her and the golden colour was when he was friendlier toward her.
peacepicturelexi
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by peacepicturelexi »

i thought he had ran away. because he didnt like bella at all
she is very mature and serious

i thought he was a total bipolar. it made me think of him as a crazy guy :mrgreen:
i thought he was just special like that :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
you can have edward and jacob. i want seth:)
viokagloring
Wandering Through Town

Post by viokagloring »

i knew somehow that he was trying to get away from Bella. i dont know how?

i related to Bella on this subject as well. it seems she is the one taking care of everyone instead of the other way around. they depend on her much like how my big family depends on me.

i was like wow thats a change! haha. i knew that he was going to try to resist her. im so glad i was right!

i related it to him eating...or is it drinking? haha that seemed like a good explaination and i was right again!

...strong emotions can alter us in permanent ways.
Elleoz
Settled in Forks

Post by Elleoz »

Honestly, I thought he was hanging out a home, skipping school, because he didn't know what he was going to do about the new girl.

For me, it illustrated that she had to grow up fast while living with Renee. While Renee was adaquate at taking care of her daughter, her flighty nature kept Bella from really being a kid. It was only natural for Bella to develop into a sensitive and nurturing person. She was forced into it at an early age.

I thought it was a little curious. If I was Bella I would have told him to stick it (even though I wouldn't have meant it either). I never thought he was putting on a show, but I do think he was searching for more information to see if he could read her thoughts or find out why he couldn't.

Pretty early on I figured out what Edward was (darn spoilers :) ) but I figured that he had eaten.
X-X-Burn-It-Down-X-X
Wandering Through Town

Post by X-X-Burn-It-Down-X-X »

I just thought he was having a day off xD basically. I actually didn't think it had much to do Bella. At the time xD

She must have alot of pressure on her for one. That she's a very caring, selfless person and also probably very shy when it comes to standing up for herself, as much as she loves her parents I'm sure she has ONE moment or so where she wishes she didn't have to care for her parents as much.

I was annoyed at him. For being so hostile then all of a sudden being fine. But I was kinda relieved too that I'd be reading more about this fascinating person :) I think he was putting on a show sort of, well of course he was, I mean Bella didn't know he craved her blood xD so he had to put on a show with that. It changed my thoughts because at first I thought he was stuck up, then he proved he wasn't, but that just made me curious to find out why he actually treated her like that xD

Contact lenses :lol: Or he was ill. I wasn't really sure to be honest xD
It's not faith if you use your eyes.
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

no idea where he went i just figured he was trying to get away from Bella.

that we are alike, i cook every night for my family, and i clean and im still a teenager. so i think that makes her have to be very mature for her age, having to take care of everyone else.

i thought that he was extremely curious, about her, maybe a little too much.
my thoughts about his initial reaction didn't change much, i heard of the book before so i figured out why he acted that way.

his thirst. i just figured he "quenched" it. so his eye colour changed to signify he wasn't thirsty anymore.