Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Re: Chapter 2 ~ Open Book

Post by TillyWhitlock »

Chapter 2: Open Book
1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
I guess I felt like he had just left. I know I didn’t know where he had gone, but I found myself worried about him. And that scared me a little bit.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
I think it says that Bella is able to care for herself. She’s independent and doesn’t need anyone to watch out of her (well until she met Edward).

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
I was surprised when Edward came back and was all nice to Bella. But I could see that he was trying to right a wrong. He wanted to be nice to Bella and he wanted her to have a different impression of him. I think he felt like he owed it to her.

4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color?
Honestly, I was on the same mind frame as Bells. I was thinking contacts. But I know I would have never noticed. I never notice things like that.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
molsonsnobunny
Settled in Forks

Post by molsonsnobunny »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
i couldnt figure it out, i assumed hed come back though.. i thought maybe he got transfered somewhere else different school..different classes etc...
2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
that shes very mature

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
i thought he was putting on a show to be honest, i still kind thought he was a jerk.

i wasnt too sure, i figured something vampiric though, or he had hazel eyes that do change..even though, thats a little extereme.
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished? I had no clue

I didn't like Renee so much with her letting Bella go to Forks but when Bella says how Renee stayed home with her but Bella could see how unhappy she was I understood her a little bette. But it still erked me a little that she let her go.
It's a wonder that Charlie is still alive eatting like he did. He's a really good dad considering. The poor guy practically had fatherhood stolen from him when Renee moved so far away. This chapter tells me Bella must be really independent and mature having to take care of her mother all her life.

I didn't think it was a show. It did confuse me more. It wasn't until the trip to Port Angeles that I realized he was drawn to her for some reason that was beyond his control.

I though he had eaten just as Bella did.
Last edited by Tonya on Wed May 06, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaitlyn8
Settled in Forks

Post by Kaitlyn8 »

I really had no idea ha

Bella had to grow up pretty fast since her parents relied on her so much

I thought it was really weird. I thought maybe he was trying to figure out something about her. I dont think it changed my initial reaction because i was kind of still figureing out my reaction

I thought they were contacts like Bella's initial thought
spectrumjillian
Settled in Forks

Timeline on TwilightLexicon home page

Post by spectrumjillian »

I am not sure who is in charge of the Timeline posted for the Twilight Series on this site, but I did find one error (well two actually). It says for Jan. 2005 that Bella arrived in Forks on Jan. 17th (which is a Monday) and that her first day at school when she meets Edward is on Tuesday the 18th.

However, we know from reading Midnight Sun, that Edward leaves for Alaska and returns late Sunday night or very early Monday morning, and he attends school on Monday. Edward speaks to Bella for the first time in Biology class. Afterwards, Mike Newton comments to Bella that Edward was acting friendlier [today]. Bella [tried to sound indifferent] when she replied, "I wonder what was with him last Monday?" This quote can be found on Page 51 of Twilight (HC).

So, we know Bella met Edward on her first day of school which was "last Monday." Therefore, her first day of school was Mon. Jan. 17th, and must have arrived in Forks on Sun. the 16th.
Last edited by spectrumjillian on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
spectrumjillian
Settled in Forks

Re: Timeline on TwilightLexicon home page

Post by spectrumjillian »

spectrumjillian wrote:Timeline on TwilightLexicon home page.
So with the new information, we also know the “Date of Chapter” on the Twilight Chapter by Chapter pages would also be incorrect in that case. With the information about Edward’s behavior “last Monday” on page 51 of Twilight… that would also mean the dates of chapters 1 and 2 are off. Ch. 2 should begin on the 18th, Bella’s 2nd day of school. (Ch.1 ends on 17th).
Rexin
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Rexin »

Honestly, I figured he was stalking her and keeping hidden because he was going to kill her. So in a way I figured he was around every corner, danger was sensed once again. And enjoyed thoroughly.

She is independant, I respect her for that, it makes us have something in common. But her dad is pretty independant as well, I think she gets it from him ^_~ except for the whole cooking thing.

Well basically I thought Edward was a jerk for acting the way he did at first. And so I was really cynical towards him and figured he was putting up a show. He would have to truly prove his sincerity, and do something more than just be polite to convince me.
I narrowed it down to a vampire trait, though I connected it with mood more than with feeding.
My mind has changed
My body's framed,
But God I like it
My heart's aflame
My heart is strained
But God I like it
Lirpa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Lirpa »

I thought Edward had just decided that he did not need to attend school anymore, and was simply ditching.

She is very independent, takes care of herself for the most part, I kind of felt bad for her. It is one thing to have one parent that is not the best parent in the world, but it is totally different to have two parents who need taking care of in one way or another. But I guess with out that experience she would not be the Bella we all love.

Had it been me, I would have yelled at him and told him to leave alone (not in those exact words), but I'm glad Bella was nicer than I would have been. Just because someone is rude to you and then decides to be polite, does not forgive their prior rudeness. I was still a little upset with him.

I really had no explanation except that it had to do with being a vampire. I really wanted to know the reason behind it.
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
"Because only a vampire can love you forever."
TNO
Wandering Through Town

Post by TNO »

I figured it had something to do with his reaction in Biology. I thought Bella was kind of overreacting though.
If neither of her parents can cook, how did her family feed itself before she was born/matured to the point that she could use the stove? I doubt they were rich enough to eat out every meal, and I can't picture a three-year-old Bella cooking or even being allowed near a stove.
Also, if I were Bella, I would have walked out on Renee and moved in with Charlie long, long ago. I wouldn't want to be responsible for my own mother. So... I guess that makes Bella more naturally a server of others, rather than hating it when people tell her to do things (like me?).
I went, "oh so he's bipolar."
Some vampire thing, I mean, it's a common phenomenon in vampire fiction. The thirstier they are the darker their eyes are with bloodlust, that sort of thing. I didn't get why it wasn't red or something though.
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i had no clue. vacation, familiy emergancy...? i was clueless!

i figured she must be very independant and a good support to anyone who would need her. a strong personality.

i thought he was being polite to cover up the show he put on the last time he saw her.

i seriously thought he had gotten contacts!! :!: :lol:
Betting on Alice.