A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Idril
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 2 ~ Open Book

Post by Idril »

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?
Initially he was getting away from Bella and her intoxicating aroma & aura. Then I figured he went to find and talk with someone ... his father Carlisle to get some answers of why/what/how?

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?
Bella is an independent yet free spirit who has had to grow up and be responsible for too many things at her young age. She is older, more mature, than most at her age and that comes with a certain kind of life.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
Well he was accepting of her being around him, his eyes were no longer black and its about time he be a gentleman! I was surprised later of his early response when I found out the era he was born in. No show, just accepting an unchangeable situation.

4. What was your first explanation for the change in Edward's eye color?
A deep insatiable appetite for something only Bella could give him (I am an old vampire fan so kinda figured it out)
Lady Idril
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

Chapter 2 ~ Open Book

1. Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished?

I wasn't sure where he went. I was sure that he was gond because of Bella's blood.

2. We learn a few things about Bella's parents in this chapter. Charlie can't cook - Renee is rather needy and so on. What does this tell us about Bella as an individual?

It told me that Bella had to grow up rather fast because neither one of her parents are really people that she can depend on. This explains why she is so mature for her age. It also explains why Bella puts other needs in front of her own. Both her parents depend on her so I think she got use to living life as a caretaker and never really thinks that her own needs are actually important.

3. What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?

I think I was confused at why he was all of sudden being polite to Bella. I didn't think he was putting on a show. I thought maybe he learned how to resist her more while he was gone.

I thought it had to do with his moods.
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

That he had just..well, gone. I didn't think at the time, where could he have been, I just thought he had taken some time or gone somewhere/

That Bella has had to compensate and learn so that she can do things for herself and her parents. Made her very individualised and self sufficiant.

I thought that the way he spoke to her did not reflect his reaction, but maybe he had had time to think on it, and decided some things. I thought it was nice of him to talk to her that way and I think her reaction made it better.

I didn't really give it much thought, until Bella questioned it. I mean my eyes swing from grey to green with blue inbetween depending on the light and how tired I am, so.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
SkittleE
Settled in Forks

Post by SkittleE »

I always read the back of the book first, so I knew Bella's blood called to him. So I assumed he was trying to figure out why her blood was that way to him.

That Bella was forced to be more mature and had to become an independent individual growing up. I wouldn't be surprised if she was left at school a few times because Renee's so forgetful.

Really the only thing I was thinking of was wondering when they're discussing how Bella's supposed to be an open book, that Bella assumes that Edward's a good reader, even though he can't tell what she's thinking.

When I'm reading I tend to get caught up in the story and not give a damn about what else is going on.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/ ... r-nazi.gif
Sucking the joy out of life since 1998
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I knew that it had to do with his reaction to Bella, and he was leaving to figure out what he wanted to do about her.

I think it mostly shows how mature Bella is for her age -- it's apparent that she takes care of her parents more than the other way around.

I did wonder what was with the sudden change... I knew why he had reacted so badly in the beginning, and I knew about some of his future interactions with Bella, so I didn't know why he would be so polite to Bella when he didn't want to be friends.

I already knew... Haha.
Monster28
Settled in Forks

Post by Monster28 »

I find it hard to remember as I know exactly what happened now, but when I first read the book I thought he was off quenching his thirst!!

It told me that Bella was a responsible girl and mature for her age. It seemed like she was very selfless.

Yes, I thought he was putting on a show as it was so different from the first interaction - I just couldn't work the guy out!

I thought it was something to do with his moods.
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

I didn't have an idea, exactly, from the text itself. However, I did know before I read the book that Edward was a vampire, so I assumed that it had something to do with that -- going off to "eat."

She's had to be the grown-up for a good chunk of her life. I expected her to be more mature than the average teen because of this.

I thought that he felt remorse for being so rude before. The whole "oh wow what did I say? And what must she think of me" reaction.

Vampire related. By the time I read Twilight, everyone knew he was a vampire. I thought it could be his moods, and in a way, that's right. *shrug*
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I had no idea, but I thought it was because of Bella.

Bella likes to be in control and she liked to take care of people.

There was definitely something going on underneath.

No idea.
Nora
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Nora »

I thought he just ditched school . I did think that it had something to do with Bella, because of his reaction meeting her the first time .
It tells that Bella had to mature early . Though the fact that Charlie can't cook didn't affect her mauch, I think . When she moved in with Charlie she was already 17 and she already knew how to cook . But she did mature while living with Renee .
I thought that he had gotten over of what had been bugging him earlier . I didn't think he was putting on a show, I thought he was sincerely interested in Bella and her life . It didn't change my thought , I still couldn't understand why he had reacted to her that way .
I didn't have an explanation, maybe he was lying about wearing contacts . :)
jennaentrust
Settled in Forks

Post by jennaentrust »

She is very independent and likes to take care of herself as she has never really had that whole nurturing parent role. She is like Edward alone. Until they meet and then they find comfort in eachother. It is beautiful. :mrgreen:
Visit Entrust Cash Advance for creative small business financing methods.