A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: CHapter 3 ~ Phenomenon

Post by skatepixie »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
She hasn't been the best mother in the conventional sense. It backed up my initial feeling that while she cares deeply about Bella, she isn't always able to figure out the best thing to do, at least in the practical sense.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
It made my head spin a bit, and I got confused. I saw that as a good thing, though, because it was making *Bella's* world spin. Later, I got the gist of it better.

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident?
He showed concern, but he didn't flip out. He was calm again as soon as he knew that Dr. Cullen, whom he trusted, saw Bella and thought she was fine. So, caring, but practical, if a little distant at times (he didn't fawn over her the way most parents might have).

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions?
He is 100% the leader of his family. He also has his act together, and seems to be able to handle this odd incident well. However, when Bella credits Edward, it rocks him a little. He seems a little uncertain of what to do, which seems to be odd to him.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
Intrigue. Clearly, he wanted to blow her off as far as his superhuman speed and strength were concerned.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
That she's hysterical and not entirely practical.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
No, I didn't quite understand at first how it had worked (in that the truck had nearly collided with her twice and had almost landed on her legs), but I got enough to know that Edward had saved her life.

It seemed okay to me, although I was surprised he told Renee. You'd think he would know how excitable she can be.

I thought he was very nice, although clearly hiding something.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
I thought he was hiding something and trying to put her off. It was an act.
christopher
Settled in Forks

Post by christopher »

Alphie wrote:1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
Sounds like she was panicking so much she wasn't thinking things through. Understandable, given the circumstances.
Alphie wrote:2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
I think I got it all.
Alphie wrote:3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident?
His response was a bit more rational than Renée's. Although, that could be attributed to the fact that he was there and could see Bella firsthand, while she was thousands of miles away having to rely on secondhand information.
Alphie wrote:4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions?
He struck me as being a little evasive, but not nearly to the same degree as Edward. Then again, Bella never demanded answers from him.
Alphie wrote:5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
Neither. It made me think Edward was a bit of a jerk.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Being a mom I think Renee was a flighty mom. I was actually upset with the way she was a mother towards Bella. I felt when I first read this that she was self absorbed.

I think I got it.

Normal for any parent.

Kind and caring.

Intrigued me. Edward is such an interesting character that I wanted to know more about him.
Banner by TammyAZ
Kat_Mac
Learning to Love Green

Post by Kat_Mac »

I liked her still, sure, but she seemed overly needy and hysterical. Not like a person with things gathered together - and still definitely not like the parent of a teenager.

I got most of it, but I had to read the scene a few times to pick out the details of exactly where and how the accident was taking place.

Totally different to Renee's: Charlie did everything right to me. He got to the scene, ensured Bella was properly checked out, took her home and watched over her all night and even told Renee. It made me like Charlie even more, the contrast between how he and Renee parented.

I liked him pretty much instantly. He seemed very sweet and patient, but also a little mysterious with Bella's "the doctor was in on it" line. I still find that funny. :lol:

Intrigued me. After seeing how urgent he was to save her and ensure her safety, and then to make sure she'd lie for him, the mood swing and lying about hitting her head really made me want to understand what he was playing at.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]