A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Sturpherz
Wandering Through Town

Re: CHapter 3 ~ Phenomenon

Post by Sturpherz »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?

That she was very scatterbrained. Haha. I felt that she was very flighty and easily distracted; she also seemed like a spur of the moment type of person.
This does not mean that I think she was a bad mom..

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?

I found that I did miss a few parts when reading the accident scene in the book. I had to reread is about 3 times before actually getting all the details I needed.

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident?

I felt it was pretty normal. I know that my dad would have acted the exact same way.

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions?

Well, I already knew that he was a vampire, but as I was reading, I felt that I just needed to know more, I still feel like I need to know more!

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?

It definitely intrigued me, but I felt a little angry also. Kind of for the same reasons Bella was angry.
"The most important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become..."
silverstar
Wandering Through Town

Post by silverstar »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
I thought that she genuinely worried about her daughter.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
I missed most of the finer points.

I thought it was appropriate.

I thought that he was someone I'd want to be my doctor.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
They frightened me. I was wondering why he wouldn't tell Bella something more truthful.
Words to live by: "If you judge people you have no time to love them"
Nessie_08
Learning to Love Green

Post by Nessie_08 »

Renee strikes me as caring, but not always practical about it. The thought may be what counts, but thought alone does't really help much. Bellas was used to caring for her parents, not the other way around. Renee probably wouldn't have thought of it, or at least wouldn't have actually done it. As a police officer, Charlie has to be a bit more practical. When Renee wanted Bella to come home, she obviously had the right intentions, but was to hysterical to think things through.

I'm not sure. I read the book the first time a long time ago. But I believe so. I tend to read quickly but carefully, especially when I'm engrossed in a book.

I think Charlie responded well. He was concerned, which is normal, and had the sense to ignore Bella's attempts at putting on a brave face and ask for a second opinion. She was injured from when Edward, as the idiot he can be sometimes, dropped her. But Charlie was able to calm down when he realized she was ok.

He seemed like a good doctor, with an excellent bedside manner. He too was also able to see through Bella's unwilligness to admit that she was injured, but able to let her remain in denial when he knew that it wouldn't hurt her.

It confused me. Like with most ysteries in books, however, I decided to let the plot explain itself. But it did frustrate me. I knew Bella was already falling in love with him, and I was a bit annoyed with him for being so mean.

Click the Bunny! Take The Quiz! Join the Blubness!

Bubbles
Settled in Forks

Post by Bubbles »

I don't think Renee is a bad mom, I just think she's forgetful and she realized that Bella could take care of her self when she was much younger so she hasn't done much to take care of her for the last few years...

I got most of the details in, I began second guessing myself when I saw the movie trailer but I caught most of the information in the first reading.

I thought it was that of a typical father - especially one in the sense that he's the police chief.

I think this shows that Carlisle is a great guy and a fantastic doctor, it also reinforces Charlie's comments about him being hansome and young.

I was intrigued, it kinda seemed like he was playing hard to get when he saved her and then scooted away, then helping her in the hospital and then being hostile when she asked questions...

*I'm re-reading all of the books for the 2nd time so this is my "first impression" for the second time around having read all of the books once.
corinnejca
Wandering Through Town

Post by corinnejca »

I was already annoyed with Renee and thought she was flighty and flaky. Her promises and care for Bella seemed incredibly empty.

Nope, I didn't get the details right in my had the first time. I had to read that passage a few times to understand what had happened. And I remember the first time I read it, once I got to this part:
...I had seen the deep dent in the tan car's bumper -- a very distinct dent that fit the contours of Edward's shoulders... (p.59)
I got really confused and had to go back to read it again. When I first read it, I was so interested and excited that Edward was saving Bella's life that I read it too quickly.

I thought Charlie's response to the accident was appropriate and very fatherly. He showed in this chapter that he definitely has some fatherly tendencies; putting on the snow chains and being worried about Bella when he saw she was involved in an accident.

I liked Carlisle automatically. I thought he was very charming and nice.

They intrigued me but also made me a little angry, not frightened. I was mad that he wouldn't reveal more and explain what happened to Bella, because I wanted to understand what happened also.
marinel
Settled in Forks

Post by marinel »

I think Renee is impulsive but certainly she loves Bella.

Yeah, I did. I had this feeling that something major was coming up so I paid close attention. I had to reread it though a couple of times to be sure I had it right in my head.

It was how most parents would've reacted.

I was a bit awed with him, what with him being so handsome and at the same time all nice and fatherly.

It definitely intrigued me!!! I was kind of sure that the accident was kind of a turning point for both Edward and Bella.
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

I thought she was erratic and nutty. Not a mother figure I would want.

It was a little confusing because the whole thing and I needed her further evaluation.

I thought it was very fatherly and kind of sweet.

HOT. In on the secret. Good at the human charade.

Definitly intrigued LOVED HIM even from the beginning.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
KayleeRyerson
Settled in Forks

Post by KayleeRyerson »

I knew she definitely cared and loved her daughter as any good mother does; to me it just meant she was a little bad at 'taking care' of Bella.

No I got it all, I was hooked, hooked, hooked. Nothing could distract me.

Good dad.

Holy moly, what a hottie. How is it possible that he 'made' something even hotter than himself (Edward)?

Hmm, intrigue I suppose. I knew he was hiding things and not fully telling the truth. But I give him respect for at least half admiting he wasn't 'standing right beside' her
What a stupid lamb. What a sick, masochistic lion.
TheLastVampirechic
Settled in Forks

Post by TheLastVampirechic »

Its not really that she doesnt care, it is more of she just doesnt think about certain things.

I definetly had to reread it a time or 2

I think it went over well, i am not suprised that he called Renee

I was impressed that the head of a vampire clan would work at a human hospital with out an alterior motive, but i like the gentleness he projected while working on Bella.

I was more amused than anything.
"I dont want to die" he screamed. Sita leaned in and softly whispered in his ear "Then you should have never been born." -- The Last Vampire by Christopher Pike

ANNE RICE MAKES ME GAG!
lovely_and_4ever_17
Settled in Forks

Post by lovely_and_4ever_17 »

I believe she worries too much, and she over reacts to things before she know the whole story.

No I got it.

I thought it was the average parent response.

OMG, like father like son, polite yet annoying at the same time and of course amazing good looking

They made me mad he promised an explanation to
Bella but didn't give her one and i wanted to know so it intrigued me