A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: CHapter 3 ~ Phenomenon

Post by natterss707 »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
I love Charlie, and I love Renee too but she is just so needy and I feel like she is lost without Bella. I just kind of found it annoying because at times I feel like my mother is the same way when I'm away at college. I'm 30 minutes from home and she's always bothering me about coming home. So I kind of thought she was a little irritating but I do like Renee.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
I got all of the details the first time. I really liked this scene because of Edward.

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident?
I thought he overreacted just a little but I mean that's really what any parent would do. It could have been a lot worse if Edward hadn't been there and he wasn't really too sure of what happened. It just shows how much he really loves his daughter.

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions?
I loved Carlisle. I thought he was very intelligent and I was surprised at how composed he could be.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
I thought it was kind of funny actually because I had already heard so much about the book before I started reading it, so I already knew that they got into a relationship and whatnot so I was thinking to myself, well you will definitely be surprised later.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
alice_is_my_homegirl

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?She isn't that responsible.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?When I read the book for the second time, I realized that I did miss some things.

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident? I thought it was pretty appropriate. I mean his ONLY daughter was almost crushed by a car.

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions? Uh...can't think amazing vampire mentioned.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you? Again, I was like, "What IS his problem?!?!"
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
twilightbelle<3
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by twilightbelle<3 »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
She probably doesn't want Charlie to gain a relationship with Bella, probably because she knows how distant Charlie can be, and doesn't want Bella to undergo that. At first I though Renee needed to get her priorites straight, even though Bella decided to go live with Charlie, she could have offered to come visit occasionally, make some compromise...!

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?'
It actually took me until thought about it later to get all of the details. I was just too shocked and worried about Bella the first time, haha.

I thought he was more worried about Renee being freaked out that Bella had gotten hurt. But after a while, I was thinking, "No, wait, he really is worried about Bells. He actually wants to make an effort to be the parent! It took me a while to get to his lack of...life-skills. XD

:shock: Could he be my dad?! No, but really, I thought I loved his personality, he was very like, go with the flow...

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
Edward never really frightened me, I am always drawn in by his characteristics!
ImageImage
E<3B
TwilightRose1

Post by TwilightRose1 »

Like Bella says in the book, it gave me the idea that she has a tendency to jump the gun a little. I think she was just being a concerned mother and not thinking about anything but keeping her little girl safe. I also think she may feel a little bit of guilt leaving Bella in Forks while she goes off with her boyfriend.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
I think I got all the details right the first time.. I dont really remember.. like Bella it was all going a little bit fast for me to keep up with. I was just shocked that the main character was about to get killed off after the first few chapters!! 0.o

I think he was a lot less concerned than Renee was! haha Ermm well I think he was just.. Charlie.. reacting the way that Charlie would.. hes still concerned but in another way...

I was impressed. I did NOT catch how observant Bella was.. that Carlilse was "in on" Edward's secret that he wasn't telling Bella.. that surprised me. But anyways.. I thougth Carlilse was a caring person.. being a doctor and a father as well... he seemed to be a very nice person...:)

They made me laugh. I love sarcasm, so I guess I was more intrigued than anything. It was a way to really lighten the mood for the situation that had just happened to Bella. It made me a bit nervous ill admit, because I thought he should have been more concerned about her.
twilightfan1
Settled in Forks

Post by twilightfan1 »

I've already said before that i got annoyed a renee just because bella acted like it was normal that she should do cooking and cleaning and stuff but now that she freaked out when bella got hurt it made me feel like she wasn't only flighty but had never really been made of the stuff good moms are made out of - you don't send you child to an empty house when there hurt! You make sure there comfortable and with someone to look after them!

When i first read through it i thought i'd got it all but realised i needed to read it again more carefully when Bella talks through what happens. i was to excited by the action of it all to read as clear as i needed to the first time

i loved it. protective dad to the rescue! he was a bit over the top but then atleast he showed the right amount of care

That Edward's foster dad was really hot ha obviously and that he may be a vampire too actually considering he looked similar to Edward - but then the doctor thing handling blood and stuff threw me off.

neither. i thought it was obvious that he would react in that way in order to try and preserve his secret. Bella knew something was significantly different about him now. It's easy to be sarcastic once evrythings over and everyones safe and he had to do what he had to do to try and keep Bella from talking about it
WickedEdward
Settled in Forks

Post by WickedEdward »

1.Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?

A little irresponsible, she's a mother but doesn't make dinner for her daughter.

I think I had to re-read it over again.

I thought it was a normal reaction for a parent.

That he was a normal doctor.

Neither, I was a little confused about what his reasons were.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-this just confirmed my first impressions of her, that was extremely needy.

-nope, i got it all down the first time (:

-i thought it was very reasonable. its his only daughter who just almost got smushed to death, i would expect him to act they way he did.

-my first impressions of carlisle was that he was wicked smart, and verrrry handsome.

-again, i was intrigued haha.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

That, though she has a good heart, she mostly accepted Bella's help than giving things back.

What I did was read it, read Bella's thoughts about it, and then go back and read it again just to catch it all.

It was a normal reaction for a parent. I mean, she was almost killed after all.

I thought that he was very kind and helpful, not to mention brilliant. And hansome. And it was a comfirmation that Edward's whole family were vampires.

Well, I personally thought he was quite rude. But it did intrigue me.
ThisStoryOfLove
Learning to Love Green

Post by ThisStoryOfLove »

For a long time I really didn't like Renee and even now as I have read and re-read the series over 10 times I still do not really care for her. When I first read Twilight I felt that Renee was a very irresponsible mother and that she had put a lot of responsibility on Bella at a very young age.

No, when action packed scenes like this one take place in a book I make sure that I read them very, very slowly.

I thought that it was sweet and it shows how much he really does care about Bella even though he usually keeps his feelings so guarded.

I loved him right away. He seemed so kind and caring right away and I couldn't wait to get to know him more.

Intrigue. I wanted to know all about him so much that I was frustrated right along with Bella!

"Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you."
-Edward, Midnight Sun
Forever Team Edward
Settled in Forks

Post by Forever Team Edward »

I have re-read the book many times and my impression of Renee hasn't changed much.... I think she is a bit of a hair-brained women, it's seems that Bella is more mature then her and Renee jumps into things without really thinking about the long term consequences.

I really didn't get it the first time but i read on a realized i had missed some things and went back to re-read it.

I think Charlie's reaction to the accident was very sweet. I think he really did want Bella to come to Forks and he really is protective of her and doesn't want anything to happen to her. I also think part of his response comes from him being a police officer and see accidents like this in the past and knowing how they have turned out before.
I really didn't think much about Carlisle at first, i knew he was Edward's "Dad" but i really didn't think much of him... he seemed like a nice guy.
Edward's comments intrigued me... i'v never been the type of person to be frightened by people reactions.... i also thought that maybe Bella had hit her head and had not seen what had happened clearly.
A Few of My Favorite Twilight Quotes and Pictures
E<3B