A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
beemarie
Wandering Through Town

Re: CHapter 3 ~ Phenomenon

Post by beemarie »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
She is a little self-centered, but not in a bay way necessarily. She is focused on desire rather than reality.

2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
I had to read this scene over again. I was just so darn concentrated on Edward. Haha. But yeah, I got a lot of it.

3. What did you think about Charlie's response to the accident?
It was normal. But at the same time, I was very touched.

4. This is the first time we meet Carlisle. What were your first impressions?
Amazement. If this is how all doctors looked, I get sick more often. ;)

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
Intrigue. i wanted to know what the heck was going on with him.
~Bee Marie
lunamia
Wandering Through Town

Post by lunamia »

1. Bella is surprised and touched that Charlie put snow chains on her truck because she isn't used to people taking care of her. Later on we know that Renee called Bella hysterical to have her come home yet Renee wasn't in Phoenix. Given all of this what were your impressions of Renee?
It just another reminder of how Renee is flaky. She probably didnt even realize that she wasnt in Phoenix LOL.
2. The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later?
It took a couple times to get all the details.

Normal reaction.

WOW. That was my first impression.

5. Did Edward's cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident intrigue you or frighten you?
I thought they were a tad mean, but they did not frighten me or push me away. Quite the opposite really, now I wanted to know MORE.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

It cemented my opinion of Rene as the perpetual child mother. She really needs someone to take care of her. It creates a lot of sympathy in my for Bella, as well. It is tremendously hard to grow up as a parent.
I read and reread the scene about three times before I moved on. I was kind of amazed at the way SM wrote it, in terms of Bella's perfect recall. What I enjoyed most was comparing the Twilight scene to the MS scene. I really enjoyed comparing the two, noting the similarities and the different perspectives.
I thought it was a fairly typical dad reaction, particularly one who is a police officer. But, it does also give you some insight into just how close he feels to Bella.
Even in this brief encounter, you really get the impression of calm assertiveness and great skill. You also know that there is a lot more to the Cullens than meets the eye.
Actually, they kind of pissed me off. There was clearly a greater agenda in place. I was so frustrated that this was going on just after he had reached out to Bella.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
sleepingshadow
Settled in Forks

Post by sleepingshadow »

Renee seems like she has a fear of being left alone. Even if Bella had gone back to Phoenix right then and there, she still wouldn't have been with her mom because she was in Florida. Both parents bring a very different relationship dynamic to Bella. Her dad gives her the space she wants and needs. While Renee clings to her daughter as much as possible.

I was very encompassed by this scene. It played out in my head very similarly to how it did in the movie trailers. I ended up reading this chapter twice to make sure I didn't miss anything, but I did get all of the details right in my head.

I think it continued to show how deeply he did care for Bella, even though they're not extraordinarily close. I think any type of caring father would've had a similar reaction, too.

I was a little taken aback. He was very cool and collected throughout the process, but surprised that he brushed the Edward comments off so easily from Bella. It definitely made him look like he was in on it all.

It intrigued me and I found it kind of humorous that he kept trying to convince Bella that he was standing right next to her the entire time. Knowing what I know now, he didn't just save her life for her...he saved her life to avoid exposing his entire family. If her blood was spilled, the family wouldn't be able to resist.
Nerd
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Nerd »

First off, even I teared up over the chains. Ummm.... I suppose that Renee could be a little melodramatic. She wasn't thinking, 'Oh hey! I'm not in Phoenix!' She was worried about her daughter and just wanted to see her as soon as possible. I'm sure knowing that your child was almost putty between two trucks was hard to hear. But she's definitely needy -- Bella is her little girl and we already know that it was hard for her to let Bella go.

I got the gist of it, but I have a tendency to miss details most of the time. I don't think I knew Bella hit her head until it was mentioned at the hospital.

:) It really showed how much he cared for his daughter. Poor guy must have been TERRIFIED!

Quick-witted. There was obviously something a little off about him -- "The doctor was IN on it!" -- but he seemed genuine and kind hearted anyhow. :) And duh, GORGEOUS!

Intrigue. I already gathered he was a vampire when I first picked up the book because DUH! It says it right on the back... But his behavior was just insane.
Skank Bale Image Let's roll! | Klutzy Chanteus | Official member of the Dork Squad
Visit here & here DAILY to donate to my city! | Thoughts of a Twi-hard: A Blog of Rants
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~ She needs lots of help.

~ I got it all the first time! :)

~ he doesnt want anything to happen to her.

~ He is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! :oops:

~ I knew he was hiding something.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
4everklutzy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by 4everklutzy »

Actually, I got teary-eyed about the chains--it really shows that Charlie cares about Bella. Renee is definitely a react first/think about it later type. I think that she really loves Bella, but is sometimes just clueless about what's best for her.

Actually, I had seen the movie and I was comparing the book to it. Still, I had to read certain parts over twice to get a clear picture of what happened.

I think that it was a normal reaction for a father to have. It's the first time that we see Charlie reacting outwardly like a dad and not just by what he does for Bella--the truck, chains.

He seemed like a nice man, definitely in on it.

I was intrigued. He seemed to be trying to distance himself again. It was really great to read MS and find out what he was really thinking.
Team Edward Girl
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Team Edward Girl »

~I always saw Renee as someone who, when it came to caring for Bella, knew somethings very well, but was clueless about other things.

~I actually didn't realize finer points of the accident until I read the book again. I still notice small details about the series.

~After seeing the snow chains, I wasn't very surprised.

~I thought he was interesting the way he was calm when it came to helping Bella, but when she says something about the accident and Edward he looks down at his papers.

~I was intregued. I was like "so he looks murderous one day, nice the next day, ans sarcastic the next day. WOW! I love this guy!
"I see you lying next to me with words I thought I'd never speak; awake and unafraid asleep or dead" -Famous Last Words" My Chemical Romance
Sydflower
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by Sydflower »

I thought Renee was kind of funny lol. She also seemed a little slow to me.. I knew she loved Bella and I could see why Bella was taking care of her!

I missed some finer points the first time but I did catch them all each time after that :).

I thought it was expected. I would be traumatized too if my daughter was in an accident! (I dont have any children.. thats in reference to my future babies!!)

Hmm.. let me think of my exact words lol. Daaaaangg.. of course!

I was intrigued and kind of mad he was being mean. I wanted to slap him lol.
midnightsun0819
Settled in Forks

Post by midnightsun0819 »

Even thought Renee can be a little bit like a child i still think she is a good mother.. and even though she isn't in phoenix when she called bella she still loves and misses her cause thats her daughter and she just wants her to come home..

No lol i didn't get them all right, its like watchin a movie when you see it for the second time you notice things you didnt see before.. i do the same thing when i read the book again so i learned alot the second time around and from when bella thought about it later...

I thought he was being a very thoughtful father.. he was just so worried about her, he loves bella alot shes all he has..

WOW!!

I was intrigued, it made me want to find out what and who edward was all the quicker and it made me always want to be near him..