A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
LadyParasyte
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 24 ~ An Impasse

Post by LadyParasyte »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now?
I think it makes it a little easier. For one the mystery of the taste is gone. He knows what to expect even if it is ridiculously delicious. Second, he now knows that he does have the strength to stop himself. He's shown restraint.

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?
He feels that he is a monster and that condemning Bella to this life would subject her to the same "monstrous" feelings that he has. He loves her too much to subject her to this. I think deep down for selfish reasons he wants that and admitting Alice's visions were on target would mean he gave in to what he perceives as his selfish desires.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?
I don't think he planned to leave her but wanted to keep himself mentally prepared that if her safety was ever compromised again that he would leave for her benefit.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?
I think it would be wise to wait till high school was over and that she could make some type of preparations for parting from her family.I think Edward should have agreed to the change after a predetermined amount of time. I felt that she should be a vampire though. I know I would want to and that if my wishes were denied flat-out by the one who supposedly loved me the most than I would be confused and hurt. I don't think she should have gotten changed at that point in their relationship tho but a time line should have been discussed.
"If you're going to be obscure the least you could do is be clear about it".
This is my band: http://www.ladyparasyte.com
Support us on facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/LadyParasyte/6837597221
Thanks! :)
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now?
Both. Easier, because he already had it. But harder, because now he knows what he's missing.

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?
He doesn't feel vampires 'should' exist, so he doesn't want Bella to become one.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? Do you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?
I believe he already figured that if he felt it necessary, he would leave her. So, yes, it was a way to calm Bella.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?
I thought she should become a vampire. I felt they belonged together. And that can only be as equals.
AyaDiefair
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by AyaDiefair »

I think it goes both ways. He had a taste of her but now he knows what she tastes like will now always be there and a tad more difficult-I think- for him to be closer to her.
As for the transfusion: It is someone else's blood going into her, and I'm sure to him it is 'tainting' her beautiful smell. This may have helped him continue to resist wanting to bite her.

Since Alice's visions are based on decisions the person makes, since Bella wants to be one more and more it has become a possibility. This makes Edward have to work even harder in preventing anything happening to her that would have to result in a transformation to 'save' her. He thinks somewhere along the lines he may be able to make her think otherwise on her desired choice.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?
I don't think he ever planned on leaving her, but just the idea that if he absolutely had to to keep her safe he would. In New Moon, he thought that leaving was the best idea because of how close a small cut almost lead to a huge disaster.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensible to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?
I honestly thought Bella would come to terms with Edwards firm demands of staying human she would compensate for him. He would still be with her no matter what, be there to experience all the human wonders of marriage, travel, school, a career, maybe even an adopted family of their own. I think that she would much rather agree to these then not having Edward at all in her life experiences.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I'm not really sure. I would think that it would be harder, since it would be hard for him to resist when he knows how good it tastes, but perhaps now that he's had some, his curiousity is satisfied, and he doesn't have to drink anymore.

Because he knows that Alice's visions are not set in stone, and he's hoping that her visions about Bella will change.

I think that it was partly that he was keeping her calm, and partly because his leaving her in New Moon was a different situation. He didn't think he'd be in that situation at that time.

I definitely want Bella to be a vampire. I think it would be easier for her and Edward if she was, and she would be much happier that way.
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

Chapter 24 ~ An Impasse

I think that it says that he has much more self-control than he realize. His ability to stop drinking from Bella shows that his self-control is driven by his love for Bella. It must be harder for him to resist her blood since he has tasted it and probably wants more. '

I think part of it is he really wants Bella to think this through because it is a permanent decision. Once you become a vampire, you can’t change your mind and go back to being human. The other part is he sees himself as a monster, so he thinks that turning her would make her a monster too. He also sees everything she would be given up. She couldn’t be around Charlie and Renee that same way that she is around them now. Since he sees everything that she could lose and doesn’t think she has thought this through enough, I think he is holding out hope that Alice’s vision is wrong somehow, even though he knows it isn’t.

Yes, I think that he was saying that he wouldn’t leave her to get her to calm down and heal. I think that at this point of the story he was considering leaving her but I don’t think he made a decision yet. Once Jasper tried to attack her in New Moon, I think that is what pushed Edward over the edge. He figured that Bella is not safe from the vampires outside his coven, and she also isn’t safe from the vampires inside his coven.

I see Edwards point but Bella just never fitted in as a human. I mean her skin is already pale, she is clumsy and as a vampire in Breaking Dawn she isn’t. The thing is she doesn’t want a natural life or to grow old while Edward still appears to be 17. Also, when she does die from old age, Edward is just going to go get himself killed by the Volturi anyways. After reading all of the books, I am glad that they did wait to turn Bella, but considering everything I tend to side with Bella—she was just meant to be a vampire. There are more pros than cons in this decision. :!: ;)
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

He isn't an animal anymore -- he is in control enough to notice those subtle differences because of all the years he has spent abstaining from human blood. Another vampire -- even Jasper -- would look at it as "blood is blood," but Edward is more nuanced. The fact that he knows how good it tastes could make it worse. He knows the exact taste, he knows what he's missing. However, I think that seeing her nearly dead has had it's impact too.

Because he wants her to remain human and he thinks that there is a possibility that his will -- and the choices he makes -- might be strong enough to end up proving Alice's vision wrong.

I don't think he plans to leave her. He might think that she would be better off if he could leave her, but he is so in love that he cannot stand even the thought of leaving -- though he would, if she were willing, as is shown by his reaction to Florida. However, later, when he sees Bella's life at risk again -- this time by a member of his own family -- he is able to find the strength to leave, even though it isn't what he (or Bella) wants.

I wasn't torn at all. I thought he was being silly. I thought perhaps it would make sense for him to ask her to wait a bit, because their relationship was so fresh, but in my mind, if they stayed together then she would need to be changed eventually -- it only makes sense for them to be of the same "species" of sorts. Yes, it would mean leaving her family behind, but then again, if she stayed with him forever she would need to do that anyway in order to hide the fact that her husband didn't age. Being with Edward, by definition, meant that a normal life was out of her reach, at least to some degree.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I think he has gotten used to the way she smells, and it attracts him in a different way now (although in the same way also). He has a firm control over the temptation now. But I don't think drinking some of her blood would make it easier to resist her. I think it might make it harder.

It's called denial.

I think he would like to be strong enough to leave her, but doesn't think at the moment that that will ever happen.

While leaving her human life behind like that is something that she should take seriously, I think that, given the level of her commitment to Edward, which certainly becomes more apparent as time goes on, that it was inevitable that it would happen at some point. He can't live without her any more than she can live without him, so what's he going to do when sixty or seventy years is up? We all know the answer to that. And that's no more of a solution that refusing to transform her. Certainly, he needed to let her make an informed decision, and that seems to be what she does over the course of the rest of the books. It's telling that the only thing that really makes her hesitate is the fact that she's worried her feelings for him will change, at least initially, when she is transformed. She has learnt enough by then to know that there are drawbacks. But still, ultimately, I believe that, if she was to continue to stay with Edward, changing her into a vampire was a logical thing to do.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I wouldn't say it was easier for him, however now that he got a taste of her and knows he could lose her if he was to drink from her again, since he might not have enough control, gives him more strength not to.

He knows he can change the vision to.

No I don't think ever had plans to leave her.

I was hoping for her to become a vampire throughout the whole series; however I didn't want her to rush it in Twilight unless she was dying which she wasn't.
Banner by TammyAZ