A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 24 ~ An Impasse

Post by Riddalyn »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now?
Oh, I think it says that he has an AMAZING amount of self control! I think drinking the blood might have made it both harder and easier, if that makes any sense. Now that he's tasted the... wine, so to speak... it must be hard to stop himself from wanting to drink it more often, knowing what it tastes like. But, of course, it's probably a relief to know that yes, it's very tasty and all, but he can stop.

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?
Because he is so adamant about keeping her out of hell and letting her have all of her human experiences. Which is just silly... she doesn't want to do anything human without him, and he's not human. So, the way I see it, if she's doing something "HUMAN" with Edward, that immediately makes it not human any more... it makes it so much more extraordinary.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?
I think at this point, he honestly thinks that he could never leave her. I think he was telling the complete truth, at that point in time. Of course, things change, people change, and there fore... the truth changes with it all.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?
I was also torn! I thought, well, yes it makes sense to change her because she loves him, he loves her, and they need to be together forever. But I could also understand his point of view... but I think I was leaning more toward her becoming one because I didn't ever want their story to end.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Chocolatebrowneyes
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Chocolatebrowneyes »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now?

I think a part of him deep down still thirsts for her, I think it would be about the same to resist her blood now he kinda shut up "the monster" in him for awhile, ahhh how I wish we had MS for this :cry:

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?

He doesn't want her to resent him later for it, for taking away her humanity because he was being selfish, because I think he still discredits how strongly she feels for him, and also he knows that there are other people ***cough coughrosaliecough cough*** that would give up everything, even their soulmate to be human again.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?

I don't think he planned to but he would if it was dangerous for her to be around him anymore.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?

Oh I was torn as well, I could see Edwards side of things but also apart of me wanted Bella to be a Vampire too so she could be with Edward forever (the romantic in me :D )
"Why won't you leave me alone?"
Believe me,I wanted to say. I've tried.
Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you.
Keep it light.

ImageImageImageImage
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

It's like having your favorite chocolate bar sitting there in front of you, but not eating it. He had a bite of it, but had to stop. He's got amazingly good self control and he's loves her more than life itself, obviously. I think he's having a worse time resisting now, but since he knows his self control is enough that he can stop from killing her, he's proud of himself.

Because he knows how easily Alice's visions can change and he's hopeful that if he keeps saying no, that Bella will change her mind.

Yes, I think he was trying to keep her calm because he did have plans to leave her one day (or at least try to, like he says in New Moon, he thought he was going to have to lie through his teeth for hours to even plant the idea that he didn't love her in her head). He was constantly saying in this book how he should leave her, but wouldn't.

I wanted Bella to become a vampire, and stay with Edward forever, but not right away, I didn't want there to be trouble with Charlie and Renee because she never came home.
Forever_Twilight
Wandering Through Town
Location: Running as fast as I can with Edward and the Cullens on a cloudy day in Arizona

Post by Forever_Twilight »

That after testing his strength by sucking the venom out of Bella, his control seemed to be more intact. Of course, the transfusion is of another person, that's probably why he said she didn't smell right.
All the incidents in New Moon, however, are the reasons how it made it easy for Edward to resist her blood. =D

He knows that Alice's visions change when a decision is made. Bella has told him numerous times how much she wants to be like him, yet that's only her choice. Edward is for sure that no one can change Bella without his permission or knowing about it. He only wants the best for her instead of losing what they all had: a normal human life. None of the Cullens, especially Edward, does not want to force her into something that is painful and can never be reversed.

I don't think he ever had plans of leaving Bella. Maybe he thought of it but, he needed Bella as much as she needed him. In New Moon, he does it because of her safety after thinking about the incident in Phoenix. As clumsy as Bella already is, he doesn't want her risking her life for his or his family's. The only way to do that. . well, is the story of New Moon. =)

I was torn over what Bella should become. If she were to become a vampire, she would leave poor Jacob in the dust, Charlie, Renee, and all her friends. If not, than it would tear her apart from Edward by age (most of all) and her clumsiness could cause her death more easily than if she were unbreakable by being a vampire. Mostly I think Bella was willing to do anything for Edward. Everyone does stupid things when they're in love so maybe Edward was just trying to knock a little bit of sense into her before she got "vamped". (That's my word for becoming a vampire or falling in love with one or more of the Cullens XD)
<3 I've been Vamped by Edward Cullen ~ Followed by Emmett and Jasper <3
Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen
Learning to Love Green
Location: In our cottage with Edward "baking", wile Esme babysits Carlie.

Post by Mrs.Mylifenow,Cullen »

I think that Edwards control was put to the test and he passed the test. He is atracted to bellas blood scent and her essence in total and she was altered like adding water to dilute something it doesnt taste as good as when
in it's original state. I think that it's as hard as always that doesn't change. Yet!

Because like I said before he doesn't want that life for her, and he thinks that Bella will resent him at some point for turning her and dooming her into an eternal life of darkness as he sees it. He want's her to live a normal life.

I think that as he said as long as it was best for her. It's hard for him to make himself leave but he has already made his mind up that if she is put in danger because of what he is he will leave her to keep her safe. Even if it means that he can't be with her, and that is next to impossible for him.

I think that I'm torn, I understand Edwards piont of view he has heard Charlie's thoughts and knows how much it would afect him to loose Bella. And she has her mother her "friends" a life, he didn't have much of a choice just like the rest of his family and Bella does she has a normal (as normal as life can be for Bella) and he doesn't want Bella to sacrifice her life and her loved ones for him. In a life of darkness as he calls it. But I also understand Bella She wants to be with Edward forever she loves him so much that she'd be willing to make the change. But she hasn't though about the bigger picture, she hasn't thought about Renee and Charlie. After she turns she wouldn't be able to see them anymore, I think that if she knew this it would make her decision a little more dificult but it would stay the same, she would want to start her knew leterna life with her beloved Edward. I mean I would too without a doubt a lifetime with Edward is not enough I need forever, eternal.
Banner by "'twahy-lahyt'" aka Shel!
Thanks Shel your amazing!!!
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now? I think it was more of his love for Bella than his resisting human blood. In a way, knowing that I think it's easier.

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella? Because things do still change.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her? I think it was to calm her down, of course he did say he would be there "as long as it was good for her".

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her? I thought eh, why not? She loves him more than anything and everything else doesn't seem as important.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
natterss707

Post by natterss707 »

I think it will be much easier for him now that he knows what it's like and the whole fact that he was able to resist killing her with no problem, he really underestimated his self-control.

He is hoping that she will change her mind because of him. Impossibly, but a man can dream can't he?

I don't think he would have ever left her if it weren't for the events that happened in New Moon. I think he did say them to calm her but he has thought about what's best for her.

I thought she should be changed into a vampire. I got really into their love story and I would choose love over everything anyday, especially if it's a love so strong like theirs. I didn't think it would be a good idea to do right away. I definitely thought she should wait a good while. But from day 1 I wanted her to be a vampire.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LilyMorgana »

I think it made it easier. He now knows that he can resist killing her even when he tastes her blood because he did it at that moment.

He wants to know for sure that's what Bella wants too. He knows Bella thinks she wants to be a vampire but he believes she doesn't realize exactly what it means to be a 'monster' like he sees it.

I think he always had plans to leave her but he never thought he'd be strong enough to actually succeed in leaving her. I think he kept those plans as some sort of back-up plan in case something went really wrong.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensible to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?
I thought he should change her eventually but not right away. First she had to enjoy some parts of her human life. I did think he should change her before she aged some more years so they could stay together for ever.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-it probably made it a little easier, resisting her blood, because now that hes tasted it, he'll never wonder or dream about how it tastes, because hes already drank it before.

-edward hates what he is. he thinks hes a monster without a soul. therefore, he doesnt want bella to be that either and hate herself, or worse him, for making her into vampire.

-at the time, i didnt think he had plans to leave her...yet. so, in a way he was telling the truth, but he was also just trying to keep bella calm by saying what she wanted to hear.

-i really really really really wanted bella to become a vampire, like ASAP. but at the same time, i knew that it would take planning and a little time.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

HIs love for her is stronger than his thirst for her blood. I think that now that he has a had a taste and was able to stop, his confidence in his control has been boosted, but it is a little harder know that he as 'taken a bit from the apple.'

Edward believes that when you become a vampire, you automatically loose your soul. He doesn't want Bella to loose her sould because she is such a good person. He doesn't want her to become a moster and a killer. He also knows that Alice's visions can change and he is determined to make this one change more than he ever has for any of her other visions.

I don't think he ever planned on leaving her in the first place. When he left in New Moon, it was a sper of the moment thing. If he had taken the time to plan to leave, he would have changed him mind before he got a chance to.

I thought that it would be better over all if Bella became a vampire, but I also knew that Edward was absolutely saying no. So I didn't have my heart set on it, though later on in the series I was as determined as Bella to get her as a vampire.