A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Re: Chapter 24 ~ An Impasse

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now?
For the smell, I think that he didn't like the transfusion because he became use to how Bella smelled. I think that it was harder for him to resist her blood, especially after tasting it. But I think that because he felt how it was to lose Bella, that his love and the fear of losing her overrode the thirst for her blood.

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?
Because he of all people also knows how easily it is for Alice's visions to change. And he was soo set in stone about NOT taking away her life as a human, the way his was.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?
I think that in that point in the story, he wanted to leave her, because he didn't think that he deserved her and he wanted to keep her safe. But I also think that he wouldn't leave unless he found a good enough reason.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?
I think that Bella was a little naive. She didn't fully comprehend that she would have to leave behind everyone. So I do think that Edward was being sensible, he knew what she would lose and he was dead-set on not letting her lose that.
livelove&twilight
Wandering Through Town

Post by livelove&twilight »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now?
it definitely says that he haas way more control than what he thought mostly cause of his love for bella. i think a little easier cause after havin to go through all that he feels like he never wants to loose bella or be the one to kill her

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?
i think its cause he loves bella too much as a human and that he could never take her life cause he would trade anything to be a human

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?
i dont think that edward was planning on leaving bella right then or in the near future but its obvious he was always looking out for her best interest and he thought that would be by leaving her i think he sort of regretted ever starting such an intense relationship with bella when he knew there were limited outcomes for her to stay happy and safe
4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?
i definitely felt the same way by the end of the book one hand i wnated bella and edward to be together forever and happy but at the other end if she changed at the end of twilight then she wouldve regretted it later on with having ot leave her family and not finishing some human experiences
peace.love & twilight
lovin them cullen boys :D

pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now? I would think that it would make it harder for him to resist. He knows how good she tastes.

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella? I think because he says Alice's visions can change and he's hoping it will.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her? I think at this point he really believes there's no way he could ever leave her. He has no plans. I think in NM what happens at the B-Day party just put him over the edge & he acted too quickly

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her? When I first read it I was torn as well. I can understand what Edward's saying about staying human and natural & not leaving her family & life behind. But I can understand why Bella wants to stay w/Edward forever.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

Both -- easier for others, harder to resist hers.

It's been said that her visions have been known to change. Perhaps he's hoping for that.

Yeah, calm her down now. He never really cooled down about it and she said before that he always seems to be trying to say goodbye.

That she may have become infatuated with it, and as we know infatuations come and go. Only time could define a real answer. So yes, Edward was being sensible.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aliacullen »

i think it could go both ways ho now knows how good her blood taste like its like giving up chocolate but than now he has had the taste it should be easier.

he dont want to take bella life away

i think he knows that soon he will have to leave so he couldnt promise but had to clam her down so he just said what he could

you.are.my.heroin
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

He wants her blood, but then again he wants her alive and he knows that if he takes her blood she'll die and then he'll have no reason to live. Harder

Her soul is soo important to him

I think he just wants to keep her calm, and yeah if anything as bad or like the james problem would happen i think he planned to leave :cry:

I wanted her to be a vampire so she could be with Edward foever, I think Edwards is very sensable and is doing the right thing by making her wait
**Kathryn**
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

What it did, was prove to Edward how strong he really is. He was able to stop, and he saved her life. He knows that he can resist, and that is important knowledge. He liked the taste of her blood, but he would never ever do it just to quench his thirst. I think with the blood transfusion, it just changed the way she smelled to him. He was used to Bella's smell, so it changed her for a time. I don't think it had anything to do with his thirst, he already proved that he was well in control of that.

I wouldn't say it is crazy to deny her visions, knowing that her visions are subject to change. I think he believes (or really wants to believe) that he can change the future. And he was dead set on keeping Bella human, since he did not want to take her life away. He seems sad when Bella mentions forever to him, not wanting forever to mean that she becomes a vampire.

He probably wanted to keep her calm. But I also believe that he really wanted to stay. I do not think that he had specific plans to leave her at this point. But he did say that he would stay as long as it was the best thing for her, so he probably knew that there might come a time when he would have to leave. He would to anything to protect her, and he knew that being in the company of vampires could harm her.

I have to say first, that I wanted Bella and Edward to be together forever, so I wanted her to become a vampire at some point. I could definitely not see Bella staying human for very long. But I think that Edward was right about this one. It would not have been right to change her so soon. Edward wanted her to experience human life, since she still had so much she hadn't done. And there really was no rush. Bella was only 17 at this point. So I think it was important to wait, and be sure of the decision.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Post by TillyWhitlock »

I think he knows what he can handle. I think that it’s easier to handle when she’s not bleeding, but when she is bleeding is a different story. The scent is so much stronger when it’s flowing. So even if he has tasted it, it becomes that much more irresistible. He knows what it tastes like and he knows it is that good. So he’ll have a harder time stopping.

It goes back to him not wanting immortality for her. It has nothing to do with the fact that he doesn’t love her, it’s just that he has seen how Rose reacted to having her life taken away from her. He doesn’t want that for Bella. He wants Bella to be able to have kids and get married. He wants her to have those options, but if he were to take them away from her, he’s afraind that she’ll resent him.

No he had no intentions of leaving her. It’s just one of those things where Jasper attacked. Bella was lucky that Edward could see Jasper’s intentions before he actually did it and had enough reaction time to stop him. He didn’t want to put Bella in danger, and the reminder from Jasper showed exactly how much danger Bella was in.

I didn’t think that Bella should be turned into a Vampire right then and there. I didn’t think she should have to stay human either. If she wanted immortality, I think that it should have been given to her. But I think there were so many compromises that could have been made. It’s just that the two of them were more stubborn about getting their way that they never looked for the compromises.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

I think it makes it even harder for him to resist, now that he knows how good it tastes and has the memory of enjoying it. It just shows exactly how deeply he loves her, to be able to control that sort of want so that she doesn't get hurt.

Because he believes that it will be ending her life, forcing her into an eternity of something he maybe wouldn't have chosen for himself. He has a very negative outlook on what he is, and he doesn't want that for Bella. He doesn't think that she's informed enough to make the choice in a clear and unbiased way, and wouldn't want to be the reason that she ended her life.

I don't think he was just saying it to keep her calm; I don't think by any means that he WANTED to leave her, or really, that he planned to. But the James debacle had just fed the idea that he was a danger to her, and he doesn't want that at all. I don't think he planned to leave her, he just didn't want to promise her that he wouldn't incase he decided that he had to, which he later does. He wouldn't want to break a promise to her.

I'll admit, I didn't even stop to think about leaving mortality or what that meant, or that she'd have to leave her family behind. I just wanted her to be a cool vampire and be able to be with Edward forever. :lol: It seems shallow now, in the events the rest of the series -especially the thought process behind it in Eclipse- but it's how I thought at the time.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Oooh, good questions! His control is obviously stronger than he thought it was; even when the vampire in him didn't want to stop, the man in him did. I think the actual tasting of her blood made it harder to resist (because it tasted so good) but thinking he was going to lose her forever completely trumped that.

Well, he of all people knows how Alice's visions work so maybe he thinks if he can convice Bella otherwise, the vision will change. Edward knows he wants to be with Bella forever, but has not yet reconciled the fact that Bella is ready to give up her humanity for him.

I think he had plans to leave her if it became necessary. It does seem like he was just saying it to tide her over; but on some level he was completely right -- it's not like he could stay away.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensible to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?

The thought of Bella leaving her family & friends behind was always the hardest for me to reconcile. In that sense, I thought Edward was completely right about her mortality. However the fact he was trying to dictate her choice really irritates me. At this point I was really quite conflicted about whether or not she should become a vampire. She's only 17!!

Image Image Image