A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
rainbowcrayon
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 23 ~ The Angel

Post by rainbowcrayon »

1. The chapter starts with Bella talking describing the sounds she hears because she is in too much pain to open her eyes. Were you able to put together exactly what happened, or did you have moments when you wondered what took place?
I understood almost immediately what had happened, and then I slowed down to read it more carefully as it truly is a beautiful piece of writing. The figurative language is dramatic and expressive in this chapter, and I believe its brevity only adds to its effectiveness. This is probably one of my favorite chapters from Twilight, if only for the abstract way in which it is written.

2. Did you think Edward would be changing Bella into a vampire because it was a life and death situation?
I believe he was seriously thinking about it, but remember I had already read New Moon by the time I was able to lay a hold of Twilight. So I already in a way knew the ending, but not the path taken to reach the designated end. But Edward does say no, he finds another option. I knew he wouldn't do it, but I knew he was thinking about it. I believe that this is also the event that sets him on the track destined for the course of events in New Moon and where he begins to think seriously about the ramifications of his relationship with Bella.
If you're not really here, I don't want to be either. I want to be next to you.
black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold.
Cullen4eva
Settled in Forks

Post by Cullen4eva »

1. The chapter starts with Bella talking describing the sounds she hears because she is in too much pain to open her eyes. Were you able to put together exactly what happened, or did you have moments when you wondered what took place? I basically put together what had happened but didnt know if my conclusion was right, but it was.

2. Did you think Edward would be changing Bella into a vampire because it was a life and death situation?Well i had a really strong feeling he wasnt going to....but i hoped he would or that James venom would have spread to much to help her.
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

1. The chapter starts with Bella talking describing the sounds she hears because she is in too much pain to open her eyes. Were you able to put together exactly what happened, or did you have moments when you wondered what took place?
I figured that the Cullens found her, and took care of James. And that she was seriously harmed. As she, I was delighted to hear Edward's voice!

2. Did you think Edward would be changing Bella into a vampire because it was a life and death situation?
No, I knew he'd have the power to stop.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

I had a pretty good iea as to what was happening,.. that there was fighting going on,.. but I didn't really realize James had bitten her until she said it.. even though Alice had described being bitten in the transformation that the venom hurts and burns (i think she said that)..

No,.. I'm not totally convinced Edward would have changed her at this point just because she was dying. I was very surprised that he could even suck the venom out and reverse what was happening.
Timothy
Learning to Love Green

Post by Timothy »

Yeah, I was able to tell what was happening. It was described well enough that I could infer the events taking place.

I knew Edward wouldn't change Bella. He was determined to keep her human no matter the case.

Death is peaceful, easy. Life is harder.
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

On the first reading, I haven’t realised what where the sound of the battle… I mean, that not usually how we describe the sound of a fight… :)

I haven’t thought about that at this moment. All I want to know was if she’s going to be ok… :)

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

I sort of knew. I had an idea, but it had never really been said before that one bite, venom in your system would change you. I liked this chapter it was surreal and beautiful.

Yes. I think that he would have had no other choice and didnt want to loose her than he would have changed her.

'He bit her.' Carlisle's voice was no longer calm. It was appauled. 'You have to do it.' It was Alice's voice, close by my head. No!.' Edward bellowed.

The best and sickest bit on the audiobook ever, its like me and my friends private joke. I even wrote it in my history coursework.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

At the start I didn't realize what happened.

No, I didn't. I felt all along that Edward didn't want Bella to know about how to become a vampire. Edward wanted to stay away from her because he is dangerous. So, even now, he wouldn't want to change her.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

I kind of got the gist of it. It was a nice way of describing the mental and internal pain she was going through of being changed, but without it completely happening. I remember well I read this chapter pretty slowly.

Nope. He was upmost against having her changed and knowing there was a way to reverse the transformation made him happy, but he had to keep his self control in check in order to keep Bella alive one way or another(either dying for real or becoming a Vamp).
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

Nah, I knew it was Edward. It was especially clear after the "angel" cried "Oh no, Bella, no!".

I already knew the outcome of the book, so, no, I didn't.