A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Chapter 22 ~ Hide and Seek

Post by LilyMorgana »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?
It didn't surprise me. I imagined that would be the way it worked. It made sense to me. It does mean people's own choices are very powerful because they can change the future.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?
I think it took only a few minutes or maybe even less. I imagine they called Edward immediately and then tried to find the ballet studio as fast as they could without revealing their vampire abilities.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?
I don't really know what Alice was like during her human life so I can't know if their actions were justified. I just think it's very saddening for Alice because she had to spend her life like that.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human?
I think he must've been very cruel.
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
Beautiful Peacock
Settled in Forks

Post by Beautiful Peacock »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?

I've read many books with people who may gaze into the future, but I find this way original and very good. It's saying "you can chose your own future" rather then "you are destinied to" which is refreshing and realistic.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?

When Bella was in her house, I think they understood she wasn't coming back. I imagine Edward going crazy but he was probably most determined, so he took off right away to save his love/life.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-i always thought alices visions were like solid images that didnt change. like if she saw what was going to happen, it would definetly happen. so it was a suprise to know thats not how it worked. it just shows us that we control our future and everyone has the to power to change alter that future.

-im guessing it didnt take them long to figure out where bella went. edward was probably livid when he found out that bella was able to get away from them.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?
-well, during that time, people didnt understand mental illnesses or how to deal with them, so they probably didnt know what to do. although putting their daughter who was perfectly fine into a mental institution was still not justified, in my opinion.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human?
-james was probably a very sick, sadistic person while he was a human, who enjoyed watching people suffer.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Post by Black Rose »

I was also confused about how any seeing of the future works. This was a new take on it, but also the one that would work the best. The future is never set in stone, and the choices we make everyday effect what is coming our way tomorrow.

I think it only took a few minutes for Jasper to realize that Bella wasn't coming out of the bathroom. I think th first thing they did was look around the hotel grounds and when they accepted that shehad gotten away, they called the family. They had to be on her tail the whole time, but not close enough to stop her before she went into the studio. I think that Edward was furious, but more determined to find her than mad at Alice and Jasper.

The family couldn't explain what was happening, and probably the doctors couldn't either, so the only place they could of was the mental institution. It was not justified, but it is understandable.

James plans things out. And he goes all out with everything he does. He doesn't like simple. He was probably a photographer or filmer as a human. I don;t think he was evil as a human. The whole vampire insident could have done that to him.
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices? No I thought it would work that way.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news? About.....15 minutes.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in? I think that Alice had the ability to see the future maybe even before her vampire life and when she told her parents they brought her to the inst.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human? That he was a dancer? :lol:
beemarie
Wandering Through Town

Post by beemarie »

I thought this is how they work. Edward said something about this earlier, I think. But I think this gives everyone who reads Twilight the message that, no matter what we can always change our future.

About... 5 minutes I think. Alice had to have seen that coming after she got into the cab.

They didn't know any better. I mean, nowadays it's easy to condemn the past and say, wow they were dumb. But in reality, they didn't have the knowledge we have today.

I think it was just twisted. It kind of made me sick. He definitely had/has some problems.
~Bee Marie
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by eclipserox »

I think this makes sense. If her visions depend on people's choices, the person makes all the difference. Some people are very decisive--their futures are probably more concrete, while other people are very indecisive and she might see multiple futures for them. Free will is very important.

I thought this was one of the weirdest parts of the series. In the other books, it seems like Alice is usually able to stop Bella. Bella made the decision to go meet James when she was on the phone. That gave Alice from that point in time until the airport to see Bella's decision and stop Bella. Maybe Bella hadn't yet decided how to make her escape so Alice couldn't see. I don't see Alice allowing Bella to leave-she would have used her visions to see that Bella would get hurt and Bella's mother was fine, or decided that protecting Bella for Edward's sake was more important than saving Bella's mother. I think Edward was probably very angry with Alice. When Alice didn't see the vampires in Bella's room in Eclipse, he was really angry with Alice.

I guess it's probably typical of the times they lived in, but Alice is so nice and not dangerous to anyone...it's terrible that she was put in a mental institution.

I thought the set up was more because he wanted to provoke Edward to avenge her. It seems like he likes danger and is always looking for a fight. I can see him as a hotheaded guy picking fights in a bar or something.
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices? I was surprised, and it shows that we are in charge of our own futures.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news? Alice probably knew right away because she probably had a vision. He probably went berserk, and I'm surprised that he didn't break anything.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in? It shows us that her human family was probably not the best family. I don't think that they were justified due to the time that they lived in.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human? It showed that he was a dramatic person.
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
lunamia
Wandering Through Town

Post by lunamia »

It did not surprise me. Edward had mentioned before that Alice visions were not set in stone. It totally makes sense. We have free will, the power to choose our path.

I think Alice knew what was going on the minute Bella hang up the phone and was just playing along.

Well, it was different era. Justified? no I dont think so. People were afraid of what they didnt understand.

I dont know, James seemed like an egotistical its-all-about-me kind of person. Dramatic, over the top guy.
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

It did surprise me. I've always thought we've had free will, so I guess that it would make sense that her visions aren't set in stone. We can always change out minds.

I think they knew the moment she thought of the plan. I just think that Alice saw a vision of what would happen if they didn't let her go. I don't think Edward took it well, but I think that the moment he saw whatever Alice saw that he would just forget about it and go after Bella.

It was a different time. I get that. but NO, I don't think they were justified.

DRAMA. I think he likes a show and that he like to star in it. that it would make his boring life a little entertaining.