Chapter 22 ~ Hide and Seek

A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Re: Chapter 22 ~ Hide and Seek

Post by sarah! »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?
~ it surprised me. it says the future can change, so can her visions.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?
~ I bet they knew very fast. Where else would she go??? lol. I bet Edward was freaking out and probably about to strangle Alice and Jasper.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?
~ not justified.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human?
~he is VERY dramatic.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
4everklutzy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by 4everklutzy »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?
I wasn't surprised because when Edward was explaining Alice's power to Bella he said that the future was subject to change--also during the baseball game, Alice said that the nomads heard the game and changed direction. I've always thought that it is our choices that shape our present as well as our future--if you're unhappy with what's going on, start changing your choices in life.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?
I don't think that it took them very long, once Bella decided definitely how she was going to escape and that she would be able to get to James. I think that Alice might have seen Bella in the studio with James, but since I don't think Bella was 100% sure that she'd be able to succeed in shaking Alice and Jasper to meet James, I think Alice didn't have a clear idea of what she was planning to do. Once Bella knew she'd make it, I think that they knew exactly where she was going--she'd already given them the address! I'm pretty sure that Edward was pretty angry with Alice and Jasper, and himself for putting Bella in danger again, but he was probably angry enough to kill James single-handed.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?
While times were what they were back then, and her parents were probably justified in "seeking help" for Alice, they were not justified in just leaving her there, putting up a tombstone and acting as if she'd died. It reminded me of how Carlisle's father would have burned him at the stake if he'd known that a vampire had "infected" him. Alice's parents didn't just abandon her, they left her there to rot! :evil:

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human?
I think that he was something of a sadist in life--kind of reminded me of Rosalie's fiance and his pack of friends.
I think that maybe he could have been an actor--but probably always the understudy or the buddy and never the leading man. He might have been a prison guard or asylum attendant who got-off on torturing the inmates or giving "treatment" to patients. Can you tell that I didn't like James?
Sydflower
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by Sydflower »

Hmm.. It wasnt exactly a surprise but it would was cool to better understand her visions.. It says, we control our onw destiny. We make our own decisions and live our own lives.

Hmm.. like .000034535 seconds. Jasper felt her emotions and Alice saw it.. the rest is history.

Yes.. back then people really believed in all sorts of mythical creatures and if they thought something was wrong with you.. off you go!

Lol I dont know.. he is dramatic!
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?

1)I had no idea how they worked until it was explained. b) That our choices can change the destiny of our lives.

2)Not long. b)I would imagine he was furious, frightened and exasperated that she would not wait and would put herself in so much danger.

3)That they gave up on their daughter - they were afraid of her precog abilities. b)No. That was their daughter and I do not believe that Alice was ever a danger to them physically. I do understand some of the fear of not knowing how to deal with her ability, but I still have a problem with what they did.

4)He is a narcissist and a sadist, both as a human & vampire.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

I never really thought about how her visions worked. I guess I figured she could just see one outcome, just whatever future you were supposed to have. The fact that her visions are subjective tells me that our choices affect our futures way more than anyone could possibly guess.

I'm sure it took Alice and Jasper a nano second to figure out where Bella went. Edward was probably furious with her and his siblings. He was probably aware of the situation and forming a plan to save Bella as soon as he was close enough to hear Alice and Jasper's thoughts.

I wouldn't say sending their daughter to an institution was justified, but I can understand why they did. Her family was probably extremely religious and very worried about what everyone else thought. Seeing the future would have made people, back then, think you were possessed or something. They wouldn't want people to look down on them because they had a daughter who could see the future. It was easier for them to ship her off and pretend she was dead.

I would guess, that as a human, he was quite dramatic.
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

I think it surprised me then. Fate doesn't exist because one change of the mind alters it so there is no singular course.

Minutes. Not with pleasure.

It explains her visions, and she certainly would've been burned as a witch in a prior century. Today she'd generally be scoffed at because it seems like everyone believes no one has any extraordinary abilities. Everything make-believe is false. Brainwashed to the bone and unless we see it with our own eyes, we don't believe it, but even then some people still won't.

Probably a theatre actor.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices? It did surprise me that her visions could change dependingon decisions that were made. I think it's cool though that the future is not set in stone & you still have control over your life depending on your choices.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news? It probably didn't take too long. Maybe just a few minutes I would think. Edward was probably VERY upset.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in? I think because of the times they left they thought that was the right & only thing to do for their daughter.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human? He was probably a very mean person who tortured animals & those weaker than him when he was human.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
you.are.my.heroin
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

well i kinda thought that cause how would she see something if it wasn't a choce that that person had made?

I'm gonna say .98518 of a seconds and i bet he was pissed

i think they were dumb, and yeah kinda

he was probablys some suckie actor who thought he was great
**Kathryn**
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aliacullen »

i thought she could see the furture no matter what. its very cever that she only can see tour furture depending on the path you take its must be very crazy since we change our minds so quickly

i think that alice already saw what bella was goignt o do when bella mind was made up but didnt say anything since she saw that it will all work out. edward must have done a very anrgy growl

i guess so in those time they must have thought she prosessed if we go back further in historty people would have thought she was a witch and she would have been burnt alive. i cant imagine lock up for being crazy

i guess that he was an artist
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Not that surprised. I kind of figured that her visions were in some way subject to change. I think it shows that we are very much in control of our own lives, and that how it turns out to a large degree is depending on the choices we make. Of course there are circumstances outside our control as well, like the choices of others, which can have a large impact.

Just a few seconds. I think Alice knew the moment Bella went into the bathroom, but of course Jasper didn't. Edward would be very angry.. But not just angry, he would also be scared and afraid that they wouldn't find her in time.

Her parents were probably very anxious about their daughter having visions. And I can understand that they wanted her to get help. At the time, people with special abilities (and people with mental illness) was considered dangerous, and society wanted to hide them away. So her parents took the option that was offered to them. They were probably also ashamed to have a daughter like Alice. I do not think that her parents were justified in leaving her in the institution, alone in the dark. It's a horrible story, and sad to think that it probably happened to alot of people.

I agree with what many of you have said. He was probably a dramatic person, and also a sadist. The kind of person who enjoys seeing other people suffer.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~