A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 22 ~ Hide and Seek

Post by Alphie »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human?
gordonfan08
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 22 ~ Hide and Seek

Post by gordonfan08 »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices? I was surprised how her visions worked, but choices are a very powerful thing and impact many people.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news? I don't think it took them long at all to figure out what she'd done and I think Edward probably flipped out.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in? I think they did what they thought was necessary for the time. People over reacted to what they didn't know back then.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human? He was a very over the top person and very dramatic I think.
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?

This was just awesome to me. It makes you see how your daily choices can really make a big difference in your future.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?

I'm sure that it only took a minute or two, given how Alice's gift works.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?

They thought she was crazy for having visions of their futures, which they couldn't handle, so they had her institutionalized. It's sad, especially given her fantastic personality. It does make me wonder what happened to her to make her not remember ANYTHING about being human. Maybe the asylum drugged her or something?

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human?

I think James was some kind of traveller before he became a vampire. That would explain his tracking expertise. I haven't really decided what I think about his single-mindedness, and how he would never have given up tracking Bella. Any thoughts?
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. It shows that we are capable of changing our future, or path. I just thought she had visions, and they would happen, I didn't know then that they vary.

2. I think it must have not taken them long, they are smart, and Edward wasn't late in saving her.

3. Bak then "insanity" was taken easily, now times, it takes many tests and such, then, it was one act, so she probable, for sure, is sane.

4. That maybe he was tortured, or a very mean person.
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

Well it says earlier in the book that her visions aren't set in stone and they can change depending on a persons actions. I think this is very true as to real life. People make their own fate. Our choices shape our lives.

I wouldn't imagine it took very long for Alice and Jasper to catch wind of what was happening. As soon as Bella made the concrete decision I would assume Alice could see it. Edward would have been a combination of heartbroken and furious.

I think it had a lot to do with the time period they were in. Mental diseases weren't heavily researched, and people didn't understand brain functionality to the degree they do today. Her family probably didn't think they had an alternative.

He was probably a sadistic young man. I picture him being the kind of boy who would kill animals for sport. He may also have been into drama and acting, or just a very attention starved human.
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

It was an interesting take on seeing the future. It shows that our future isn't set in stone, that we have the power to change who we are, what we do...It's a good message to the readers at any rate! :D

This is the part that gets me. Because I think that Alice knew in the hotel room in that final vision she had when she said Bella's name. I think she knew then. But what I can't figure out is why she didn't say anything. I have lots of theories in my head as to why not, but I'm just not sure. I imagine Edward was angry, frantic,heartbroken, lost, without Bella there at the airport. I think we would also get to understand Alice's final vision as well (through Edward)...that's why I'm still holding out for Midnight Sun!

I don't know.

He was probably a sadist.....
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

no surprise, just more insight to Alice's character.

I think Alice figured it out first, when Bella decided to escape. She didn't know how Bella would do it until she made the decision. Once Alice knew, she could communicate with Edward and find Jasper. I think Alice knew what the letter Bella wrote was. I think Alice's ability to see the future as decisions are made. I'm sure edward was ticked off!!!!!

We don't really know why Alice was in the mental institution, so I can't judge her family just yet.

He was still clever as a human.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

i actually knew from reading pervious fate/vamp books

idk

no, a hyper soul liek alice would have been mistaken for insanity in that time

i neve thought about that before
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
MoonlitRose
Wandering Through Town

Post by MoonlitRose »

It surprised me, actually. Fate is fate, and no matter what our decisions, it ultimately won't change the path of our lives.

This tells me that some people believe that we chose our own fate. I agree with that, to an extent.

As soon as Bella made the decision to go to James, Alice knew. She knew right off the bat, but didn't tell anyone until Edward got there, unless she had told Jasper before-hand.

I think Edward was furious that Bella would do something so stupid, yet at the same time he worried that he might be too late. He was probably angry with Alice and Jasper for letting Bella get away, regardless of Bella's good intentions

Considering I don't know the reasons behind why Alice's family put her in the mental institution in the first place, I can't really answer this question.

James is creative, and he probably lead a life centered around art in some way when he was a human.
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

I think he was shocked and angry that Bella would want to run away.

I think her family wasn't a nice one, especially when they would send their child to an asylum. But, in that time, Alice would have been probably been caught and killed by powerful people.

Well, Bella said he was not attractive compared to other vampires. I probably figure that he was a backstage manager or stage creator.
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.