Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Re: Chapter 22 ~ Hide and Seek

Post by TillyWhitlock »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?
Edward was always saying that Alice sees the future, but that it can always change. I always thought that was how it worked. I know that the future is never set in stone and that any decision could change it. Even something minor.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?
I think it took Jasper all of one second. I think he realized once she went into the ladies room that Bella was gone. I think that Edward lost it when he heard the news. He got the information he needed from Alice and Jasper as to where the ballet studio was and then just high tailed it out of there to get to Bella and save her.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?
I think it says that they didn’t want to deal with her. It was something different and they didn’t want to be known as the parents with the freak of a daughter who could see the future. Ridiculous, yes, but still I can see why they did it. At least they didn’t go off and kill her.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human?
As wrong as it is for me to say it, James is an artist. He can see the way that mirrors can effect the perceptions. It’s a scary thing to think about.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?
I figured that it had to be the way it worked, because so many tiny things can change the future. It says a lot about exactly how much power we have over our own futures, I guess.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?
Not very long; Alice, after all, would have known that she was going there all along. Alice would have prepared Jasper, and Jasper would have thought of Bella running rather just than them failing. Both relied on each other to keep tabs on her. So Alice would have thought Jasper was keeping proper watch on her until called her and told her to see if Bella was okay in the toilets, I guess. Then they would have seen the situation for what it was; a betrayal by Bella that lead her to the ballet studio. I don't imagine that Edward took the news well at all; I'll bet it took a lot from Jasper to keep him calm enough to listen, and even then only the fact that they were in public and that Alice knew where Bella was going would have kept him calm enough to function.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?
God, that made me cry, I felt so sorry for Alice, she was my favourite character right from the start. It says that her human family weren't sympathetic or understanding, unlike her vampire family. I suppose, given the time they were in, it was almost justified: the fear surrounding her visions, and not knowing what else to do. And it's a good thing that they did, otherwise there would be no vampire Alice, and that would be awful. But submitting her to a place that would do what they did to her is just unforgivable.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human?
That he paid attention to detail, that he overthought everything and had a tendancy to be provoking and ovredramatic.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

I honestly thought her visions were more like fortune telling (for lack of a better way to describe it). Once people found out about her vision, they kind of think that's the only option and go along with it. The way her visions work, says that choices we make every day completely inform our future.

I think they knew where she was going to end up shortly after she told the cabbie where she was going (her mom's house). Alice could see James decision to lure Bella there, and Bella's decision to go. I'm pretty sure Edward was scared & upset... maybe even a little upset at Bella for not listening to Alice.

It says that Alice's family really subscribes to popular belief of their time. I certainly did think they were justified; and I'm not sure families these days wouldn't try to get her help, anyway.

I think he always loved being the center of attention when he was human & was a bit dramatic (less so than as a vampire).

Image Image Image
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

We can change the future. If we change what we do it changes. It makes sense that it would work that way. When you really think about it, it must be interesting how much control we have. You could have thousands of different futures and lots of different paths based on tiny decisions and decisions affecting yours. I always wonder if some things she sees don't make sense. Like no matter if you change you mind, it will happen a certain way. Are some things 'meant to be' and will happen no matter what? At the end of the world, will she see it coming?
2. How long do you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?
Maybe 5 minutes. Alice probably saw the ballet studio get clearer and goes up to Jasper. They look for her. She's not there. Wait for the plane, and Alice and Jasper have to mentally explain what happen. I'm sure Edward was furious and ran off immediately with the others following.
I don't know them, but I'm sure they really were driven to extremes. Alice probably went totally insane and the only thing they could do was normal at the time, lock her up. They had probably tried everything and ended up with no other options. I always wondered how she knew her name..??
He's a very theatrical person. He does things just for the fun of it, life is boring for him, and he wants a challenge. When he gets it, he makes the best of it and enjoys making it very..mm..tasteful. He was probably very theatrical as a human too, and liked to try something that was difficult to do.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices? Didn't Edward explain that Alice's visions weren't exact that nothing was set in stone. So once he said that I assumed it was they way it worked and I knew the minute Bella decided to go to James Alice would have a new vision. I was surprised when Alice did not confront her about it with how out spoken she is. As far was what it says about the power of choice is just that power and choice! We control our own destiny's by the choices we make.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news? I imagine Alice saw her running out the bathroom as soon as Bella took of running. If she hadn't taken that shuttle they would have caught her. I think she read the letter as they ran back to get Edward off the plan and Edward was furious but he has no time to throw a fit he stole a car and went to save her.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in? Even know if someone was "seeing" things they would be committed. I just thought she was committed because they were scared and thought they were helping her. We don't find out until New Moon that her head stone was dated the same day as she was committed so her family had acted as though she had died even though James said she was in the darkness for quite sometime.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human? He was a psycho in is human life as well as as a vampire. He was probably the type of man Edward would have killed in a dark ally.
Lirpa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Lirpa »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices? I was a little surprised, but Edward did say they were subjective. So I figured that there had to be something that changed them. It is nice that Stephanie gave us all the ability to change our future. We each make decisions and have to live with the consequences of them.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news? Oh what I would give to have MS finished and published. I am sure that Alice saw it right away. I think they were probably only a few steps behind her at the airport. Edward was devastated and furious all at once. He probably read Alice's mind saw were James would be stole the car and left faster than I just typed this.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in? I think that they put her in a facility was better than what some of the other options were in the day. But I love Alice, so I felt really bad for her. I wish she could have had the type of parents who would deal with this type of thing as a family.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human? He was probably very creative as a human and enjoyed the spotlight, probably a little cocky too.
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
"Because only a vampire can love you forever."
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

made a whole lot of sense to me!! it isnt set in stone and you can change it if you want!

not too long. and i think edward was probably furious at jasper and alice but then didnt have time to once he focused on getting bella out alive.

it was different back then and i think it would have made sense to do it then. i dont think her parents curel, but i still feel pretty sorry for alice!

lets just say...he really irritates me!
Betting on Alice.
furrynfun
Settled in Forks

Post by furrynfun »

Well no duh visions can change if your decisions do

Alice knew from the second Bella left the bathroom out of the other door or she could have already read the note, either way they already knew, but had to wait for Edward, Emmet, and Carlisle because they couldn't save Bella on there own. As for the second part this question was answered in New Moon, as he was running to save her he was thinking of way to kill himself if he didn't make it.

They weren't justified at all, if you kid could see the future it would be so cool!

I think it has nothing to do with his human life it mainly has to do with his vampire experiences like Laurent said to him it's all just a game and he was just trying tick Edward off so the game would continue.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

I guess it surprised me a little, but it's nice to know that the future isn't set in stone. That our choices do affect our lives, and it's not all pre-destined.

Not long at all. I'm guessing Alice seen it as soon as Bella started running, but Jasper wouldn't be able to go through the ladies bathroom without causing a scene, so by the time they got to the exit another way, Bella would be on the shuttle. I think Edward would have been furious, especially with Alice and Jasper. He would have thought it was their fault, that they weren't watching her closely enough.

I think it was just because of the times they lived in. Back then, you weren't "allowed" to have a child with visions. Although I always thought it was weird that Alice couldn't remember anything at all, so I guess she must have had visions right from when she was a little child? When you think about it that way, locking up a little girl, it makes you a little mad at her parents!

I think he was very dramatic and a bit of a show-off when he was a human. And a weirdo.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

I already knew that, so it didn't surprised me much. It's actually very interesting. Our future is based on our choices.

I don't know... maybe just a couple of minutes. And ohmygod, Edward surely was shocked!

Maybe, I don't know.

That he enjoys a dramatic kill. He's a tracker, of course he does.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan