A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 22 ~ Hide and Seek

Post by misskiley »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?
I was surprised to learn that she could see so far in a head that one small decision changes everything. I believe in the whole every small thing changes the future.. I just thought her visions might be a little more concrete.. things happening much sooner rather than later on

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?
I was surprised it took as long as it did.. Bella knew she was going to escape from the bathrooms for awhile, I thought maybe Alice could see that.. or atleast see her running from the bathroom and be able to catch her before she left the airport. I imagine Edward freaked out quite a bit..

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?
It was a long long time ago. Anybody who claims to be able to see things, even now would probably be going to stay there. And even though her visions are pretty clear now, they probably were magnified by like 100 after she turned into a vampire.. so maybe she just had weird visions that didn't make sense so they sent her to the hospital.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human?
Maybe he was into theater..? Not really sure,.. but this was a huge prize for him.. I know when I first read the Twilight saga, I had to have everything perfect.. good lighting,.. Twilight music on my ipod.. haha weirdo i know ;)
Timothy
Learning to Love Green

Post by Timothy »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?

I thought earlier in the book that Edward mentioned that Alice's visions were subjective, always changing. That might have been the movie. Since I saw that first I wasn't surprised. I'm glad that our choices are always changing, and that we don't have set destiny.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?

This part always bothers me. How Alice's visions work is always a mystery. I guess it comes down to what she is concentrating on. I imagine she didn't think that Bella would ditch them. She might have realized this if she knew Bells a little better. Since Jasper and Alice haven't been human a while, I imagine after a few minutes they realized that Bella wasn't taking too long. Those weird humans...

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?

Just a reflection of the times. But, I mean, what parent wouldn't be concerned about their child when they say they are seeing visions. As much as I'd like to believe in such a power, it's not real. Without more info, I'd say they were justified I guess.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human?

Must be an attention Vulgar Language Is Ugly, lol. I imagine he feeds of the performance, as much as the tracking.

Death is peaceful, easy. Life is harder.
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

I didn’t have thought about that. In my first reading, I only accept the fact that she can read future. Than we have that explanation. To me, it means that future isn’t written in stone. We have the power to make it change. That’s our decision that make us were we are.

Not really long. I mean, they are built like hunter and Alice may have a vision of Bella taking the shuttle to Hyat. When Bella left, it was 20 minutes before Edward arrived. So maybe 10? Jasper and Alice need to choose to wait for the rest of the family, so it needs to be a really small amount of time.

How Edward take that? I’m not sure he has take time to be angry… He just wants to get her.

I don’t know if that say a lot about her human family. At this time, that was regrettably the way to deal with her condition. In fact, I find it really pitiful.

I don’t think he was a performance artist. Personally, I find him plain cruel. He wants a fight for the girl, so, as he have find a way to get the girl without the fight, he choose to kill her in the most cruel way, giving a show of the thing to be sure that her boyfriend will have to avenge her. It’s plain torture. He has chosen that room because Edward will be able to watch Bella being killed from every angle.

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

It did surprise me, but I found it logical. To me, it doesn't say much about the power of our own choices.

2. How long do you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?
Not long. I think when Bella ran off, Alice saw it immediately. I think Edward was mad at them first and very afraid for Bella.

I kind off don't have a take on this.

I think it shows that even as a human, he was evil.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

I found it really neat. Seeing how one decision that is changed can completely change an entire outcome for the near future. This worked well because it is very realistic. If there was someone out there able to see the future, I believe the way Alice sees it is the way they would see it.

Not very long I'm sure. Alice would've noticed it early on. Edward was probably pissed and that much more worried about Bella.

I found it a little...dark of her family and their decision. Premonitions aren't completely life threatening to anyone or herself. If she reacted drastically to them then I see why she was put in there, if she was more calm about them then I don't see why she was put there. The only good I saw come from the asylum was the fact she was saved from being killed by James.

I found that he must've had a creative side to him and using it to his advantage with his tracking skills and playing with his food made it all the more fun for him. He might've been into dramatic arts or some sort of screen/play writer...? xD
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I thought it was a very interesting take on how the future is... I just assume that the future is set in stone, and that our decisions are inevitable. It really goes to show how much our choices effect our lives.

Shortly after the plane left. It wouldn't have taken long at all. Edward must have been horrified when he found out -- he probably followed her as quickly as possible.

Considering the time period, where you could be thrown into the asylum for seemingly no reason at all, it's not surprising. Her family didn't seem to care much about her -- but it may be possible that she lived in an orphanage beforehand.

He might have been just that: a performance artist. His mirror effects really show how twisted he is, though.
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

Chapter 22 ~ Hide and Seek

I thought that was how it always been. I thought this was revealed in an earlier chapter though. It shows how much our decisions could alter the future because one choice could easily lead us in a different direction.

2. How long do you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?

I really don’t know how long it took them to figure it out. It seemed strange to me that they didn’t figure out what she was planning before she even got to the airport. I guessed that they figured it out within minutes that she when into the bathroom, but couldn’t do anything because they are in a public place and they can’t just run as fast as they do to catch her. Still, there had to be some way to catch her and prevent her from meeting James. I imagined Edward panicking, getting angry with Alice and Jasper, then running out of the airport quickly to find Bella.

It’s hard to say what this says about her family or if they were justified because we don’t get to hear what Alice remembers of her family or why they did this. There’s only two reasons why her family would do this: either they were trying to do what was best for her and put her away to get the help she needed. This would have been the only options given the times they lived in and the fact that they didn’t really have outpatient therapy. Or she was such a burden on the family name they wanted to just dump her somewhere. Whether they were justified or not wouldn’t depend so much on the time they lived in as it would their intentions of sending her there.

I get the feeling that she was really traumatized from being there since she doesn’t remember her human life at all. I am also guessing that she repressed her memories of being in the asylum before she became a vampire. If this is the case, then I don’t agree with their decision since it did more harm than good.

I think that it says that he’s character is very over-the-top and he probably could have been a soap opera actor in his human life. :lol:
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

It's what I expected, based on what Edward had said earlier. And it shows the power of free will in the Twilight universe.

Not long, I can imagine, especially with Alice's visions. And I can't imagine that Edward took it well at all.

Her family may have thought that she was insane. I could see it being the only thing that they could think to do -- and since any form of supernatural whatever might not have been understood, it may have seemed like she WAS insane. And, in those times, the options we have now didn't exist. I'd like to think that I would have fought to find a way to keep my family member with the family, but depending on the situation there are people even now who cannot be out of an institution due a risk to their safety or that of other people.

He's a sociopath, and very theatrical. He enjoys the thrill of the hunt and the thrill of killing, as well as the actual blood that he drinks from his prey. For him, it is about so much more than that, and he wants it to be perfect.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I don't think it surprised me, although I did find it interesting. I think it says more about her talent than about the power of our choices.

I don't think it took them very long, as Alice had already seen a vision of her in the ballet studio. The why would have been more puzzling, until they read Bella's letter. I can imagine that Edward would have been devastated, but probably too intent on trying to save her to lay blame on anyone. If we ever get the full version of Midnight Sun I am really looking forward to reading this chapter from his perspective.

I think it would have been an easier option for them that dealing with something like that.

He's a sadist. Not to mention arrogant. It's clear he thinks he's indestructible. So glad that wasn't the case!
jennaentrust
Settled in Forks

Post by jennaentrust »

I agree it is so crazy how one choice can set off a chain of events and your future can be completely different because of one little choice.
Visit Entrust Cash Advance for creative small business financing methods.