Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 20 ~ Impatience

Post by desire4vampires »

Chapter 20 ~ Impatience

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?

I don’t think that Alice realizes exactly how far Edward would go if Bella were to die. I think she is basing this on the past Edward who hasn’t met Bella yet. I think the past Edward must really depress and miserable. Then he meets Bella, and she makes him so happy by bring out the human emotions that he kept buried. Since all of Edwards family loves him (and Bella of course) they want to make sure that they stay together so that Edward doesn’t sink back into his depression.

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?

We learn that he is getting better with knowing his limits because when Bella was sitting in the living room, he sat in the far corner. We also learn that he loves his family and cares about Bella as well. I wasn’t afraid of him in this chapter. I was however afraid of him in The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. Before the Volturi came at the end of the book, Jasper was being very aggressive towards Bree, telling her “Close your eyes and cover your ears” and I didn’t understand why he was being so mean. She wasn’t really an enemy.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?

Edward would never let anything hurt Bella, and he is so against her becoming a vampire, so he must have been kiss him without getting venom in her mouth. I was surprised though, but no I didn’t think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella.

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?

He doesn’t want her to know because she may go behind his back and have someone turn her. Also, I think that he sees everything that Bella has to lose by becoming a vampire. She will see all her friends and family die before her. She wouldn’t be able to walk in the sunlight without sparkling. She won’t be able to go near her family or friends for a while because she would lust for their blood. He doesn’t want to take any of this away from her.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?

I don’t think that Alice saw Bella in the studio until a little before they arrived at the airport. When she did see the vision, I think that she let it happen because she knew that Bella would survive it and that it was to only way for them to catch and kill James.
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?
Alice knows just how much Bella means to her brother, and she does not want to lose her brother or see him suffer for centuries on end. She also cares very much for Bella, and wouldn't want to see anything bad happen to her new-found friend. However, I think her main reason is that she would be so concerned for Edward, especially since he would go to the Volturi to get himself killed. Alice doesn't want to see the only family she's ever known get torn apart that way.

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?
I wasn't afraid of him. Really, to me, he's only creepy in the movies. In the books he seems very calm. He also cares about the family, even though he does still struggle a bit with the lifestyle.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?
I didn't think twice about the kissing. I did feel concern about the fact that the transformation is so painful. I knew that Bella wanted to be turned and that really it was the only long term solution. So here was when we found out that Bella was in for a lot of pain and suffering in the future.

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?
He knows, based on what Alice has seen, that Bella will want to be turned. I'm pretty sure that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire, but that Edward is determined to make sure that Alice is wrong and Bella remains human.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?
I think Alice was afraid to put the idea into Bella's head, if she hadn't already considered it.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I don't think Alice realises at this stage exactly how far Edward would go if Bella dies, although she knows he'd take it hard.

No, I thought he was very caring in this chapter. I think he shows how much he can care, and I think he demonstrates more self control than he probably realises he's got.

No. Again, Edward wouldn't have done that if it was going to endanger Bella. I don't recall this news effecting me very much.

Because he doesn't want her to get any funny ideas.

None of them knew at that stage that Bella would be asked to go there. They probably thought that all they would need to do is ensure that she stayed away from it. And even if Bella had known this, she still would have gone there in order to save her mother. The realisation that it must have been her old ballet studio that Alice saw didn't change her decision.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I remember when I first read that and thinking to myself..Wow how much Edward loves Bella. I knew that they meant he would be in a dark place if anything ever happen to her. I didn't think about suicide until I read NM. Their love is powerful.

No I was never afraid of Jasper. I just knew it was difficult to be around her. It showed to me that he cared what happens to her and already accepted her in the family.

You know I don't over think what the author wrote b/c I then think it can ruin a book. I always accepted that he had to bite her in order to change her vs. kissing.

He knew that their relationship was evolving, he didn't want her to want to be changed, or know how to do it, in fear if she asked him, he would decline, then she would look some other way to become one.

Hmm good question. I have always wondered that myself.
Banner by TammyAZ