A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 20 ~ Impatience

Post by Alphie »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?
gordonfan08
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 20 ~ Impatience

Post by gordonfan08 »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die? I think Alice was making light of the situation, to aid Bella. Alice knows Edward and knows what he feels for Bella, and thus she knew he would do something drastic, and deadly, should something happen to Bella.

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter? I wasn't afraid of Jasper, but he seemed really jumpy and nervous all the time.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella? I never even thought about venom and Edward kissing her.

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire? He didn't want to scare her, in my opinion.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio? I wondered the same thing, but just assumed Alice didn't see Bella being harmed at the studio.
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?

I was totally upset while reading New Moon. It was physically draining for me to read about Bella's terrible state when he was gone. I think Edward's reaction in New Moon was more of his overreacting, but it showed a level of true devotion as well. However, had he thought for a second, he'd have confirmed with Alice and saved us all a lot of grief. haha.

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?

He knows his limits.His story is amazing, and no, I was never afraid of him. This chapter actually made me want to know more about him.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?

I didn't really think about it. It just made the fact that they don't have the traditional fangs make more sense.

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?

Because he knows Bella. He knew that once she found out how, she'd want to go through with it and that it would be unlikely that he'd be able to talk her out of it, which was not something he was entirel comfortable with.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?

I'm pretty sure Alice knew that if Bella didn't go, it would be prolonging the inevitable. Besides, once she planted the idea of the studio in her head, and Bella talked to James on the phone, she decided to go there, which was all it took for Alice to get the "snapshot" of what would happen, ultimately leading to James' demise.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. Well, mostly every Cullen wants Edward to get a mate, and Bella at that. But since he doesn't want her changed, so she will die someday if she isn't changed. So they do want to protect her.

2. No. Alice was there most of the time, and after knowing Bella, Jasper probably warmed up to her.

3. Well, I knew she hadn't changed, so my feelings stayed the same on the subject.

4. So that she doesn't say she is able to go through that, and then he will somehow be persuaded to change her.

5. Alice probably knew she would be saved, and didn't want to interfear, because this was suppose to happen.
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

I think Alice is dead on. Edward would rather be dead than without Bella.

We learn that Jasper is very compassionate towwards Bella. Jasper is a good brother to Edward.

I did wonder how Edward would kiss Bella without subjecting her to his venom.

He doesn't want Bella to become a vampire, so he doesn't want her to know how.

I didn't think that Alice saw Bella at the studio because Bella hadn't made a decision that would put her at the studio at this point.
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

I'm torn because I would think that Alice would realize that if something did happen to Bella and she did die, that Edward wouldn't hang around either...that he would go to the Volturi. I would have thought that Alice would realize this...but maybe Edward hasn't thought about it really..I don't know. Maybe his family don't realize the full extent of Edward's feelings for Bella yet.

He loves his family. He's caring and it appears that he has a big "heart". I wasn't afraid of him at all in this chapter. If anything, I think I like him more because of it! I like that he is trying to protect Bella.

I don't know. I didn't even think about Edward kissing Bella...I don't think I really had a thought about this...

I don't know really. Bella never pushed for an answer though either really....

I don't think that Alice saw Bella at the studio yet. At that time, Bella had no reason to go. Alice doesn't see things until they are set, until they have been decided...it's later, in the next chapter, that I don't get why Alice doesn't warn Bella not to go....
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I honestly feel the same as I did before. I think Stephenie did a great job of conveying the deep love that Edward has for Bella and would do anything for her.

No fear, but it is nice to get to know Jasper better and see that he accepts Bella.

Never thought twice about the kiss. I believe there was no fluid swapping. I like that the vamps are venemous. Makes good sence to me.

Edward is clearly guarded about a lot and he chooses not to tell Bella quite a few facts, as we learn later on. I think it is all about protecting someone you love so much. I love that the Author finds a way to give her readers the information anyways. I actually love that. I don't feel that I am ever left hanging with unanswered questions for very long. I appreciate (sp?) that so much. I remember reading a book, I wish I could remember what it was, but it left me hanging for at least a chapter or tow and I felt that it distracted me from the story A LOT!!!!

I don't think Alice saw Bella at the studio first, because it was only James had the plan mapped out and decided upon first, leaving it unresolved or better yet undecided. Alice can not see decisions not made yet.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?
i think it was justified..and showedd bella how much eh truely cared for her

i wasn't affraid..much lol

it didn't

because he is trying to protect her

because she was alone maybe?
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
MoonlitRose
Wandering Through Town

Post by MoonlitRose »

I'm not sure. I know what Alice is saying, and it would be horrible to watch a loved one react the way Edward did.

Jasper is more empathetic than most vampires, maybe even more than Carlisle since he can sense and control emotions. He really does care what happens to people, and he doesn't like negative emotions.

After the beginning of Twilight and after Jasper was first introduced, I wasn't afraid of Jasper.

I was shocked, but not overly so. After all, how else can a vampire turn someone into one of them? It makes sense. I never thought twice about Edward kissing Bella. He has enough control, and the only way to get the venom is through biting. He never bit her.

However, considering his diet, it's always weirded me out a little when they kiss. After all, he drinks blood. I personally wouldn't want to kiss someone who drinks blood. :shock:

I think Edward's afraid Bella would put herself in danger by approaching a vampire with less control than the Cullens, asking to become one of them to be with Edward.

The Cullens wouldn't have been able to get to James otherwise, and the whole situation would have been dragging on longer than necessary. Alice probably also knew they would get there in time to save Bella.
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

That what Alice said didn't one fraction express Edward's reaction. It's not her fault because no one could have expected Edward to react the way he did in New Moon. Well...they could have expected it, but they would have hoped to be able to stop it, somehow.

This chapter really just shows the reader Jasper's heart. From what we had gotten before, he seemed completely devoid of any compassion, or emotion as a whole.; very standoffish and a bit cold. This chapter really is amazing in that it reveals that Jasper is extremely caring, it's just not as easily expressed as Alice's or Esme. But when he does show it, it's more than evident that it's 100% genuine. I wasn't afraid of Jasper at all in this chapter. Under the circumstances, I never doubted that he would be able to "keep his cool".

It was a bit shocking. But mostly just interesting. It was another way Stephenie had mixed with the world of vampires as we knew it. I didn't worry about the fact Edward kissed Bella. I was thinking more about the fact that Bella consumed pizza after Edward had bitten off of it.

Edward HATED the idea of Bella being a vampire. He was sure to want to keep any information about the process away from her, whether it be to stop her from turning to someone else to transform her, or simply because he didn't want her mind to know of that "horror".

I actually didn't think Alice saw Bella in the studio. It just seemed she realized that there was a reason she kept seeing the studio and she could only assume it involved Bella.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B