A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Re: Chapter 20 ~ Impatience

Post by Black Rose »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?

That its 100% true. Though they wouldn't have to look at him in the eyes long because he would be in Italy within days of the death.

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?

I think that Jasper really cares for Bella and wanted to keep her as safe as possible, but he also knows his limits when it comes to control. I was also wary of him, but never afraid.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?

I've read vampire books before reading Twilight, so I already knew about the venom. When they mention it, I was like "Didn't they already say that? Or was that in another book?". And I never actually thought about how Edward kisses Bella as I probably should have...

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?

So she would't start considering becoming a vampire herself.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?

I don't think it would have mattered if Alice had come right out and said "Don't go to the ballet studio no matter what" because Bella would have gone anyways. But Alice probably didn't say anything because she didn't want to scare Bella.
beemarie
Wandering Through Town

Post by beemarie »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?
It's too hard for me to explain. I mean, we totally see all of Edward's hurt when he sees her dead and goes to Volterra to commit "suicide", but I'm not sure how much of this I understood, just reading Twilight.

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?
I mean, he wants to make Alice happy, and to make Alice happy, he needs to protect Bella, too. But I think that he develops some sort of relationship with her as this goes on.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?
No. I mean, the vemon is only poisonous if it infects the blood, and otherwise it was harmless.

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?
He didn't want that for Bella. He wanted her to have a future.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?
I'm not sure. Maybe she didn't want it to happen, so tell Bella might jinx it.
~Bee Marie
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?I think that Alice might have seen Bella die and then see Edward go to the Volturi.

2. Jasper talks more in this chapter than any other chapter. What things do we learn about his character from the way he reacts to Bella? Were you ever afraid of him during this chapter?It shows us that he cares about her like a sister. I was a little afriad of him because you see what he's like when he's a little mad.

3. This is the first time we learn that the vampires are venomous. What was your reaction to this news and did it make you think twice about the fact that Edward had kissed Bella?It didn't make me think twice, but I was able to see why they couldn't kiss like a normal couple.

4. Why do you suppose Edward has been so adamant about not telling Bella how someone becomes a vampire?He knew that she'd want to become a vampire. (He was right!)

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio?She didn't want her to even know about it.
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
lunamia
Wandering Through Town

Post by lunamia »

Part of me feels that maybe Alice put it in that context so that Bella felt that this was about Edward, not about her. Maybe Alice thought it would be easier to calm her down. And as for New Moon, I could slap Edward for what he did (and probably break my hand in the process but still).

I wasnt afraid of him, Alice is there. I feel bad for Jasper, being the newest vegetarian in the family and having a hard time with it most be very stressful.

Honestly I did not think twice about it. I took it in stride haha.

I think it was mentioned in a previous question. Edward is fighting Alice premonition and he doesnt want to give Bella any ideas.

Ok..this is my theory. Alice saw Bella and James in the studio. She also saw that Edward would be there in time to save her. She saw James bite Bella..and thought "This is it" Bella and Edward can be together forever. How else could it be possible for Bella to "escape" unnoticed by Jasper and Alice at the airport? No way. Obvioulsy ..Alice didnt see that Edward was going to suck the venom away.
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~ She knows Edward would do something drastic.

~no, im not afraid of him. we learn he wants to make alice happy and kindof cares for bella at this point.

~no, because he wouldnt do something that had even the smallest chance of hurting her(until BD)

~she will beg to be changed.

~she didnt want it to happen and didnt want Bella to know about it.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
4everklutzy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by 4everklutzy »

I love this line! Edward has said that Bella is his life, the most important thing to him ever, so without Bella he would have no life. I don't think that Alice saw what he would do in NM because this wasn't an issue yet and so he hadn't made that decision yet. Alice and the rest of the Cullens have seen the changes in Edward and have been very happy for him. Alice doesn't need to be psychic to know how devastated he would be to lose Bella--she'd feel the same if she lost Jasper.

No, I actually wasn't afraid of Jasper in this chapter. You learn that he loves his family and is very loyal them, putting his brother's love above his thirst. Also, I think that Jasper realizes that while Bella is frightened, it's for both the Cullens and her human family and not for herself--something I think he might appreciate. You also learn more about his gifts and skills, and that he uses them for good. I liked him after this chapter.

Since venom is associated with feeding, it didn't figure into the kissing for me. Also, Edward would never
put Bella into that kind of danger, so again, it didn't figure into it for me.

I'm with the majority on this one--he does not want her to get any ideas! Edward knows that Bella both loves him and accepts him totally for who and what he is. She has also told her that she wants to be with him forever, but he doesn't want what "forever" would mean for her.

I think that Destani answered this one beautifully and I agree:
"I don't think that Alice actually saw Bella there. Alice said that something wasn't complete, that there was still a decision yet to be made, so looking back I think that Alice didn't see Bella there because she hadn't decided to go there yet. Once Bella recognized the room, Alice worried that Bella's path might somehow lead her to the studio where James would be waiting so she wanted to make sure Bella didn't have any plans or reason to go there, which she didn't at that point. I don't think she explained that Bella shouldn't go to the studio because she didn't see a need for it. She told Bella she saw James waiting there and she never thought that Bella would willingly go to him." Bella also says on page 435 that she "could feel Alice's wild--though well-concealed--desperation to have me out of the room, to be alone with Jasper. So she could tell him that they were doing something wrong, that they were going to fail..." which seems to confirm that Alice never expected Bella to choose to go to James.
scarlet_forever

Post by scarlet_forever »

I really love this line. He pretty much says his life is not complete w/o Bella. I can just imagine his face. :( So he truly does love her.

Jasper is also another character that has that mysterious personality. I really like his trait at calming ppl. I really beleive he doesn't like ppl being upset. Sometimes he uses this way too much to his advantage though. I thought about how ironic it was that Jasper was the newest to the family and that Edward would send Bella w/ him. How funny, but Alice is there and he trusts alice ALOT!

I think i pretty much knew this in the back of my mind...although i'm not sure how. I really didn't give it much thought about the kissing though.

He is scared she will either want it or be completely appalled by it and Edward doesn't want to hear either of those.

5. Alice has a vision of the dance studio and the proceeds to question Bella about any reasons why she might go there. It seems to me that Alice saw Bella at the studio. Why didn't Alice clear this up for Bella by explaining to her that she shouldn't go to the studio
Since her visions are always changing, She might have thought she was wrong. Also, she probably did not want to scare Bella more than she was.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:1. Alice tells Bella that the family will do what it takes to protect her because no one wants to look at Edward for the next century should Bella die. How do you feel about this line now that you have read New Moon and know exactly how Edward would react were Bella ever to die?

1)I think the remark still stands. Edward loves Bella - passionately and that never changed in New Moon.

2)He cares and he likes Bella. b) No.

3)No.

4)The details would be too graphic in his opinion. And probably did not want to give her any ideas.

5) Because the decision to go had not been made yet, so she probably did not put two and two together.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

I didn't doubt that Alice knew Edward would consider killing himself if something happened to Bella. Taking this into consideration that line was a serious understatement, but I think Alice used this line with Bella because she didn't want to worry Bella anymore than she already was.

All we really knew about Jasper before was that he was with Alice and he had a hard time sticking to the Cullen's diet. This chapter shows more of who he really is than we have seen before. I wasn't afraid of him because he seemed well in control of himself. I'm sure Bella was quite a temptation for him, but Alice and Edward love her so he wouldn't do anything to hurt her. Hurting her would be like hurting the ones he loves. Obviously, keeping Bella and his family safe is more important to him than giving in to temptation.

That didn't really phase me, I felt kind of like I was reading a random fact about anything. I didn't think about them kissing because they weren't exactly swaping spit. Edward is so concerned about hurting Bella, and he knows he venomous, that he wouldn't risk infecting her with venom with a kiss.

I don't think he wanted to give her any ideas about becoming a vampire.

I don't think Alice saw Bella in the studio in her first vision. But, I think Bella was in the vision Alice has after Bella's conversation with James. I don't know exactly why Alice didn't warn Bella after this vision but I have two theories. A) Alice only sees what options people have and the outcome of each option. She does not want to interfere with people's futures just so they have a future that she is more comfortable with. That would be like messing with fate. B) Bella's mind is so firmly made up that Alice couldn't do anything to stop her anyway.
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

As if he hadn't been miserable before Bella, life post-Bella would be heart shattering. Loveless. So anything to protect Bella must be done.

No, he is very calming and soothing.

Makes a lot of sense, given all the history from stories past of the bites. Draining the victims dry, rather than a bite on the neck or somewhere filled with a lot of nerves, would kill them. Otherwise it's like Carlisle's story where he was bitten and left to tend to himself and changed. The bloodlust reminds me of Lestat. I didn't think anything of the kiss because I assumed it's in the teeth, not the saliva.

Not really sure.

Because if she had told Bella not to go, then she's saying she sees Bella there which means it happens, giving Bella the knowledge that she escapes. Keeping quiet this way could lead Alice to being more watchful and get the others to come to Phoenix.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas